Finished with my valve junior...for the moment

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by acdcrocker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=9380.msg124331#msg124331 date=1153804313]
    I have a couple of .022 Sozo's laying around.....May as well put them in..

C1 and C2 eh?
    [/quote]

Those are the signal caps posistions on the combo but Im not sure about the head. You night have to check it out.

2. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Oh yeah.....

The amp used to hiss a bit a max volume and the StrangeMaster hooked up.......

I don't know if it was the resoldering the primary OT tabs to the circuit board or the new OT but the hiss is almost completely gone now....he he he :)

Sozo is next....... :coolsmiley:

3. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I am also running the head through a 2 x 12 sealed back cab with a pair of Celestion G12h30 vintage speakers.
    The speakers are very bassy and dark to begin with and that is why I am running the StrangeMaster......
    If I run the head through another cab or my 18watt combo speakers, it is not nearly as dark and does not need the treble booster.

I think the schematic is the same and I'll check the location numbers. I have both schematics to verify.

4. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

It will probally be the same.

5. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

whahey! look what can happen in a small time frame!

well, ill do tubes and MV mod, then, probly save for my 2x12!

good on ya guys, you cirtainly are having fun!

6. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Bonfire,

You have the fire.......
    You must do all the mods.........
    Spend all money...........
    create the perfect BROWN sound.........
    You have no will............

VOX is our master........Marshall is the grail!...........

If you get the wierd itch for Fender....see CB and bath in his luminenescence...then wash off the smell and get back on track;........

Marshall and EL84 rules....

LOLOLOLOLOL

7. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

I have the fire....
    I must do all the mods......
    Spend all money....
    Create the perfect brown sound....
    I have no will....

Vox is my master....Marshall is the grail...

Marshall and EL84 rules...

LOLO....oh wait.... ;D

yeah, look, i really want to! but i have no money! actually, i have AUD$50, so i could get new tubes now...but......yeah, new tubes! (tung Sol and Telsa ;) )

8. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

'Might have to mow a few lawns Bonfire! ;D ;)

9. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

lol, no one is willing to pay me for that! i do have a job, and it pays well, but it is only for 1-2 hours a week! - thats the part that kills me! i mean, its good also...but....kinda annoying!

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Sozo caps are in and tested...Break in time now.........

;D

11. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=Bonfire link=topic=9380.msg124532#msg124532 date=1153881335]
    lol, no one is willing to pay me for that! i do have a job, and it pays well, but it is only for 1-2 hours a week! - thats the part that kills me! i mean, its good also...but....kinda annoying!
    [/quote]

im guessing babysitting? :?

12. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=9380.msg124557#msg124557 date=1153884777]
    Sozo caps are in and tested...Break in time now.........

;D
    [/quote]

Can you tell a difference?

13. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I can tell so far that I lost a lost of the feedback....not good.....

But I need to break in the caps for 100 hours according to Sozo to develope the film in the cap to conduct. I expect it will come back and I'll be happy. Just got to be patient. Letting the amp idle now and thinking of hooking up the audio generator. i wish I had a sweep generator tho.......

The sound is cool and I think better but I want that sensitivity that made the amp howl last night........

My amp is clean to 3 and then breaks up nicely....very little headroom......cool
    I played it clean at 2.5 and the Sozo caps are "Da-Bomb" there.....just have to wait for the break in period for the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock nirvanna.
    I could hear a better, cleaner, clearer, fuller sound in the clean mode. Kinda like swapping the stock caps in an SG to the Hovland Musicaps.

All good ;D

Here goes the audio generator...I'll mute it with the Weber MASS...LOL...annoying as hell.... :lol:

14. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

[quote author=acdcrocker link=topic=9380.msg124559#msg124559 date=1153884921]
    [quote author=Bonfire link=topic=9380.msg124532#msg124532 date=1153881335]
    [/quote]

im guessing babysitting? :?
    [/quote]

nah, chemist deliveries lol (i'm no pansy! haha!) but i used to have a great job working as a mechanic at the local bike shop, but it was really, really stressful, and hard with school too, so i decided to leave (well, it was more a mutual decision with my boss lol).

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=9380.msg124567#msg124567 date=1153886410]
    I can tell so far that I lost a lost of the feedback....not good.....

But I need to break in the caps for 100 hours according to Sozo to develope the film in the cap to conduct. I expect it will come back and I'll be happy. Just got to be patient. Letting the amp idle now and thinking of hooking up the audio generator. i wish I had a sweep generator tho.......

The sound is cool and I think better but I want that sensitivity that made the amp howl last night........

My amp is clean to 3 and then breaks up nicely....very little headroom......cool
    I played it clean at 2.5 and the Sozo caps are "Da-Bomb" there.....just have to wait for the break in period for the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock nirvanna.
    I could hear a better, cleaner, clearer, fuller sound in the clean mode. Kinda like swapping the stock caps in an SG to the Hovland Musicaps.

All good ;D

Here goes the audio generator...I'll mute it with the Weber MASS...LOL...annoying as hell.... :lol:
    [/quote]

sweet! i wish i had a signal gen and a webber mass! would be soo sweet! ahh well, i guess i just gotta do it the 'ol fashioned way!

15. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Hey man,

nothing wrong with baby sitting.....Play with kids and get paid......No need to play barbie doll.....kinda like waht I'm doing with my amp and my son....play video games and break in an amp at the same time.

The old signal generator was cheap on eatbait and the MASS is the last of 4 units I bought. I sold 3 on eatbait and this is the last of the origional heavy duty units Weber used to sell before he changed to the current ones. It has every option that was ofered and is very cool.
    The Mass does add a dark sound to the amp though and I am using it only for the break in. I will use the MV I modded when broken in as the amp is much brighter that way with my 2 x 12 G12h30 vintage speaker/cab.

I still want to hook it up to the Marshall cabs with the 25 watt greenbacks...he he he ;)

16. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

sweet! thats mad! i'm a little scared of the bay myself...i'm not game just yet... lol

and i have to say, you are running my dream setup! SG with modded valve jr. into 2x12 with vintage 30's! with a mass and a signal gen to boot! damn you spunk, DAMN YOU!! ;D ;)

take it easy, dont get RSI ;)

17. 1Way

1Way Active Member

acdcrocker, Spunky, other Valve Jr modders,
    I scanned most of this topic,,,,,,,,,,,, very interesting stuff!

I'm thinking of getting a little 5watt Jr head and hot rodding it. I don't like the PCB stuff, but for the small cash outlay, it can be a fun project amp. I'm thinking of using a miniMASS moderately to keep the volume in check without squashing all the tone. But I'll likely also want a PPIMV.

I have never built an amp before, but I've assembled about 15 PC's a few years back over the course of about a decade or so and I've rigged up my own home power 12 volt system, so I have some electronic sensibility. I know I need to be careful, and practice safety comes first.

If you guys have done these mods already and sourced the parts, could I try them for myself? I want more tone not volume. If folks could catagorize the mods and perhaps make a summary parts list and sourcing, that might help greatly.

Any sound samples that might show off the mods involved?

18. 1Way

1Way Active Member

19. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Right now it's either buy a Crate 5watt tube amp (Palomino or V58 or older VC508) and easily mod it for lower gain with lower gain preamp tube, and it's line out also serves as a loop which you can use to easily drive the output toobs harder, or mod the Epi Jr. Hard to say which is better for me right now... :?

20. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=9380.msg128414#msg128414 date=1155824622]
    Right now it's either buy a Crate 5watt tube amp (Palomino or V58 or older VC508) and easily mod it for lower gain with lower gain preamp tube, and it's line out also serves as a loop which you can use to easily drive the output toobs harder, or mod the Epi Jr. Hard to say which is better for me right now... :?
    [/quote]

dude the valve juinor rocks.