Finished with my valve junior...for the moment

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by acdcrocker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=the bacon link=topic=9380.msg128482#msg128482 date=1155857025]
    [quote author=1Way link=topic=9380.msg128414#msg128414 date=1155824622]
    Right now it's either buy a Crate 5watt tube amp (Palomino or V58 or older VC508) and easily mod it for lower gain with lower gain preamp tube, and it's line out also serves as a loop which you can use to easily drive the output toobs harder, or mod the Epi Jr. Hard to say which is better for me right now...  :?
    [/quote]

dude the valve juinor rocks.
    [/quote]

youve never played it lol

2. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Maybe he hasn't tried it yet, maybe he has. I figure he is gaining valuable trustworthy information about what you guys have been saying about the product. And for the entry price, he's probably stoked about getting into a cool tube amp that is easy on the pocketbook.

Frankly, reading this thread has been giving me GAS and also some hankering for some electronic gadget tinkering. I think you guys have really done a great job with this project, and it rubs off on others. O0

I do think that our friend "the bacon" has a case of GAS. ;D Its fun to see, reminds me of me before I had a Gibson SG and Marshall tube amp. The waiting to get the stuff sucks.

The killer thing with Crate V's are that they come with a stereo line out that doubles as an effects loop, and it comes stock with tone and gain controls, so it is feature rich compared to the Epi. But they are correspondingly higher priced. Since I also really like the sound of em, I think I'm deciding to wait for a deal on a Crate. But I'll certainly be into modifying it. I wonder how hard it would be to incorporate a good spring reverb...  :roll:

3. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

[quote author=acdcrocker link=topic=9380.msg128490#msg128490 date=1155865666]
    Right now it's either buy a Crate 5watt tube amp (Palomino or V58 or older VC508) and easily mod it for lower gain with lower gain preamp tube, and it's line out also serves as a loop which you can use to easily drive the output toobs harder, or mod the Epi Jr. Hard to say which is better for me right now...  :?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats besides the point! ;)

4. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

i've never played a valve junior but i would really like to try one. i have tried the valve special and standard and theyre great amps.

5. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=acdcrocker link=topic=9380.msg128490#msg128490 date=1155865666]
    Right now it's either buy a Crate 5watt tube amp (Palomino or V58 or older VC508) and easily mod it for lower gain with lower gain preamp tube, and it's line out also serves as a loop which you can use to easily drive the output toobs harder, or mod the Epi Jr. Hard to say which is better for me right now... :?
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes i have! i tried it at GC a few weeks ago and it sounds great! it hums alittle but other than that its awesome!

i only got to play it for for maybe 3 minutes :( because i only went in to get some strings so i dont know every thing about it but out of what i got. its so sweet!

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Cool deal! From what I scanned earlier, the buzz is sorta expected and can be fixed by modding, makes em very quiet.

I listed a link that had like three different links for modding these things, including some safety issues. I am still hoping that, for example, Spunky and acdcrocker would respond to them, basically to see if they may be of help for those interested in doing these mods...
    :( :roll: 8)
    I don't mean to give helpful links that may not be so helpful because I am not am amp tech type at all. Spunky/acdcrocker, please respond...

7. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

Sorry about that 1way,

I really think those "safety" issues are important enough to actually worry about them. Espicially after Epiphone starting making the Version 2 valve juniors with the no hum.

And also, those mod websites really dont even apply to the version 2's hum-wise. Or tone wise. I think they make a few bogus suggestions that really dont help the tone at all. Becuase I tryed them from those sites but werent really satisfied until I went on 18watt.com and got suggestions from the.

If you want to mod your VJ id be glad to help you along the way. Tell me what you want it to sound like, tone-wise, finger response, gain, more bite, less fizzy, etc. and I'll be glad to give you a list of somponents to mod your amp and where to get them.

;)

8. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Wow! Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it, sounds like a great little amp and some fun mods too. 8) I wish it had the option for spring reverb and maybe an effects loop. However, maybe I can just use a MASS with with line out and feed that into a mixer that has a quality reverb and then run wet/dry that way...

I hear that is the best way to incorporate reverb, but for a small venue I'd probably prefer something much simpler... That Crate amp has onboard spring reverb and plenty of gain that can be easily tamed, so I'm not sure yet which way I am going, plus I'm eyeing some old Gibsons that have spring reverb too.

9. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

Wow, I'm still having a difficult time getting used to your new avatar 1Way; it doesn't seem like you.  Is this your new kinder and gentler approach to playin' da bluzes.   ;D

10. the bacon

the bacon Member

hey acdcrocker is there a mod for the vj where it dosent break up at halfway? >:(

11. 1Way

1Way Active Member

I guess, thanks for noticing Guitar Whiskey. I didn't realize that I had such an other than friendly fun-loving persona. You still got one of the sharpest handles around. I guess it sorta bothers me that some people apparently don't see me in a moderately good light let alone appreciate me, so I figure why not try something a bit more easy going and likable.

Sixstring knows me in person, maybe I should ask him if my new avatar is cogent or not. Strangely, some seemed to enjoy giving me harshness and grief. I've even received a particularly nasty and graphic email personal attack about a week ago or so. Stranger things have happened I guess. It's been said that some artists/musicians can be a touchy bunch sometimes.
    :roll:
    Don't worry, I'll probably pull out something rough and tumble after a bit, maybe something trucker worthy...

12. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

I wasn't implying anything contray to fun loving, it's just a bit softer than the energy I see on your videos. The Beatles can vary from Helter Skelter to In My Life, so I recognize this as just a facet of your musical expression. Cheers......

13. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

[quote author=the bacon link=topic=9380.msg129148#msg129148 date=1156214065]
    hey acdcrocker is there a mod for the vj where it dosent break up at halfway? >:(
    [/quote]

you could replace the 12ax7 with a lower gain version...like 12at7....otherwise.... :-\

14. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=Guitar Whiskey link=topic=9380.msg129166#msg129166 date=1156222571]
    I wasn't implying anything contray to fun loving, it's just a bit softer than the energy I see on your videos.  The Beatles can vary from Helter Skelter to In My Life, so I recognize this as just a facet of your musical expression.  Cheers......
    [/quote]
    TY GW O0 I can be expressive in different ways. But as for guitar, I really have a ways to gooooooo yet.
    8)
    Heading off to Texas for my next trip, have to scram, see you guys in about a week or so.
    ;)

15. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Bonfire
    There's also a preamp tube called the 5751 and it has more gain that an AT7! But it still can really lower the gain factor so it's a good option if you want a bit more gain than a 12at7!

16. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

isnt there also a au7 or ay7??

17. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Bon, right, but those have way less gain. My experience with just the slightly lower gain (rating) 5751 was that it was nearly not enough distortion/gain for my jcm800 which has 3 pre tubes and the little Epi only has one, so your effetively changing every tube to a much lower gain tube while I only changed out one of my three to a mildly lower gain pre and it really made a big difference in gain/distortion. Of course user preference/taste applies. But I would expect that if you went from an ax to anything lower than a 5751, you would be loosing a lots of gain/distortion. Now the 5751 I tried, I didn't  really like the tones out of it, so I have to try several others and sort of experiment to find something a bit better.

18. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

ok ladies and gentlemen, strap yourself in for some hi-octane, modded tube amp rockin'!

yes, thats right, I finally took the plunge and modded my valve jr!

heres what i did:

put a switch in to change R1 between 68k (stock) and 1M
    put a switch in to change R2 between 68k (stock) and 10k
    added a master volume

[​IMG]

just used a knob i had lying around, so it looks a bit shite

but on to the important part of this report.....THE TONE!

oooooh, its alot better with the resistors switched...i dont even know why i bothered with the switch....but hey...they let more signal through, so its a tad louder, more bassy, and just so thick!! and with the MV, i can have a great crunch without the bleeding ears!!

MAN, can i not wait til the Tung-Sol 12AX7 and the JJ/Telsa EL84 arrive.....oohoh! update when that day comes!

EDIT: thought i'd give a bit more technical info...

this is how i wired the switches in
    [​IMG]

and the MV was done CB style.... ala
    [​IMG]

yeah! so there it is!

19. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

EDIT Mk.II:

upon further playing and listning, i feel it needs a bright swich....any ideas for what kinda value cap, and where (paralell R6??)?? Ceebs? Spunk? Vox?

20. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Bon, that sounds great! Looking forward to more reports. Last night I chatted with an amp tech/blues guitarist who also suggested to get a valve jr and get rid of the tubes and have a great little 5watt class A amp! He also said that Sovtek LPS preamp tubes are like the old RCA and GE's with the large plate structure. I have an NOS RCA and it is perhaps better than my old Mullard I picked up. But those are the first NOS tubes I've tried... I hear that the new JJ(?) Mullard preamp tubes are supposed to sound really good. I've heard really good reports about the Mullard style JJ (or is it Groove Tube?) preamp tube, so maybe that is the way to go for now for good new preamp tubes.

Here's my update for my search for a small wattage tube amp. On the way back from my nearly three week tour across America, I stopped in at a pawn shop in hereford TX and picked me up an all tube, Crate Vintage Club 20. It's a twin EL84 amp with I assume 2/3 12ax7's. It has Gain and Level (MV), TMB, but no reverb, darn it! I found out after searching ebay that they make the same amp with (I assume it's a spring) reverb.

Anyway, even without the spring reverb, I'm only out one twenty five, and the amp works great, no sound issues at all, only some cosmetic discoloration on the cream colored tolex. Has an ext. speaker jack which I assume is 16ohm as the internal 10" is 16ohms. And it has a headphone jack, so I'm wondering if it doubles as an effects loop when used with a Y adapter like the current V series and Palaminos... I'll have to go read up some on harmony central I guess.

I wonder if I can yank one of the two power tubes and have it work safely that way...? I need to make a speaker cab for my 2-12's so as to include separate individual input jacks so you can choose to just plug into one speaker only. My two Scumback speakers are rated at 16ohms each.

Back to the Epi VJ
    That amp tech guy told me that by changing the resister (what do ya call it? cathod follower errr, something like that), maybe two of them like you did, anyway, he said it changes how much the preamp goes into distortion so you can push the power amp harder without the preamp getting fuzzy. Then he said that the other benefit was that it also shifts the tone range so that stock, the epi jr would tend to distort the bass too much, so when you change those things, it gives the distortion a more pleasing effect across a wider range, so it improves the gain/preamp/poweramp relationship, and it also smoothes out the tone range so that the bass does not get flabby. Sorry I couldn't be more technically accurate, but I think it's good to know to seek after doing both mods, preamp cleaning and tone range/focus adjusting.
    :)