Firebird pickup in my SG

plankton

Reaction score
I have never really liked having a neck humbucker in an SG, they sound good in my Flying Vs but just don't work for me in an SG. I have used humbucker size "P90s" in neck positions before but they're noisy and not quite right either. On the other hand I have always loved the sound of the pickups in my Firebird. It seemed like an obvious solution.

So I took a punt on some Epi Firebird pickups from a Chinese seller on ebay. I figured if they were a scam I'd be protected, and it was only $50 AUD for a set shipped right to me. Now that I've got them they seem legit, and the pickup I installed already sounds great, so even if they're not I don't really care.

This is the neck pickup sound I've been wanting from my dual humbucker SG. Clear and punchy with some beefiness in there too, but never too woofy or muddy. They sound amazing with some extra gain and glorious with fuzz, and the cleanup is fantastic.

amxo4Zy.jpg

I had to order them as a pair, so I've got another one to use in something else. Hmmm, maybe I need a Junior? :hmm:

laza616

Reaction score
Thats interesting
These thicker pickup rings are what size?
I play with the idea of swapping a neck humbucker for humbucker sized p90, this is generally interesting for me

plankton

Reaction score
It got the pickup ring off ebay, they're listed as mini humbucker conversion rings. Same footprint as a standard HB ring.

MR D

Reaction score
I have never really liked having a neck humbucker in an SG, they sound good in my Flying Vs but just don't work for me in an SG. I have used humbucker size "P90s" in neck positions before but they're noisy and not quite right either. On the other hand I have always loved the sound of the pickups in my Firebird. It seemed like an obvious solution.

So I took a punt on some Epi Firebird pickups from a Chinese seller on ebay. I figured if they were a scam I'd be protected, and it was only $50 AUD for a set shipped right to me. Now that I've got them they seem legit, and the pickup I installed already sounds great, so even if they're not I don't really care.

This is the neck pickup sound I've been wanting from my dual humbucker SG. Clear and punchy with some beefiness in there too, but never too woofy or muddy. They sound amazing with some extra gain and glorious with fuzz, and the cleanup is fantastic.

amxo4Zy.jpg

I had to order them as a pair, so I've got another one to use in something else. Hmmm, maybe I need a Junior? :hmm:
Interesting, VERY INTERESTING !! ARE The Mini-Humbuckers the new HI-OUTPUT Mini's ? U Got the rings on E-Bay eh ? U kno, I kno what you mean about P-90's being 'Noisy'.....I love their sound..BUT in my Lester Special I've got to turn the tone controls almost all the way down to get them to an acceptable 'Noise' level....and they sound frikkin' DEMONIC when I do that, but not every song calls for that sound........

Mini-Humbucker 'CONVERSION RINGS' eh? I am going to look for them right now........or if not, I gotta figure out a way to get the P-90's to not be as 'Noisy'. I just got my 1st guitar w/P-90's and I really like them........But for the 'Noise'.......its really too bad as it limits what I can do w/that particular guitar.

Last edited:

Alanbama

Reaction score
Great idea plankton! I’ve always loved the sound of mini humbuckers. I may do this myself. Thanks for the idea. I’ll have to check out the FB720’s.

Larry8016

Reaction score
Nice! I have 5 SGs and 1 Firebird and I REALLY like the sound of the bird neck pup - now you got me thinkin':naughty:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I gotta figure out a way to get the P-90's to not be as 'Noisy'. I just got my 1st guitar w/P-90's and I really like them........But for the 'Noise'.......its really too bad as it limits what I can do w/that particular guitar.

Noise Gate

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Interesting, VERY INTERESTING !! ARE The Mini-Humbuckers the new HI-OUTPUT Mini's ? U Got the rings on E-Bay eh ? U kno, I kno what you mean about P-90's being 'Noisy'.....I love their sound..BUT in my Lester Special I've got to turn the tone controls almost all the way down to get them to an acceptable 'Noise' level....and they sound frikkin' DEMONIC when I do that, but not every song calls for that sound........

Mini-Humbucker 'CONVERSION RINGS' eh? I am going to look for them right now........or if not, I gotta figure out a way to get the P-90's to not be as 'Noisy'. I just got my 1st guitar w/P-90's and I really like them........But for the 'Noise'.......its really too bad as it limits what I can do w/that particular guitar.
Turn 90 degrees left or right

MR D

Reaction score
Noise Gate
TNX 4 THAT,I'D had a feeling about that..... but that did not work...just made it easier to control when the 'Noise' appeared/didn't.......I've heard there is some sort of canceller.....when I get around to it....IGTY, P-90's w/tone control all the way down.........whatta tone. BEASTY....

plankton

Reaction score
Well, since the new FB pickup is nickel and the rest of the guitar was chrome I had to fix that. New bridge, tailpiece and tuners, all Musiclily pro stuff which I have used before, good parts at a good price. I went with vintage style tuners with the green plastic buttons as opposed to the Grover style that were on there before.

Of course I needed a bridge pickup in nickel as well. I had a Vanson A2 PAF sort of thing in there before because I already had it, but this time I got a Tonerider A2 classic. The Vanson pickup was good, but this Tonerider is even better, my first time using that brand and I'm quite pleased, killer sound for a decent price.

Reaction score
I'm late to this party, but just to clarify... a mini-humbucker is not the same as a Firebird pickup. There's a major difference in internal construction. The only thing the same about them is the footprint. Here's an article that discusses it a little bit (although no pictures, which is disappointing): https://humbuckersoup.com/mini-humbucker-versus-firebird/

The major sound difference is that the Mini is a little fuller and less bright than the Firebird. The Mini is still brighter than a full PAF type 'bucker and the Firebird is brighter still. The Mini will do mellow sounds on the Bluesy Jazz end of things in the neck or will give you close to Full Humbucker scream with a cranked amp or pedal. The Firebird is your ticket to bright. Cranked up it screams with a lot of very bright sound.

A real Mini has pole adjustable pole pieces for one coil. The Firebird doesn't as it doesn't have pole pieces at all. There are manufacturers selling something they call a Mini but with a Firebird type full cover - I think SD and maybe Lollar but it's been a while since I looked. I have no idea what those are internally.

The Epi FB720 Firebird with its Alnico II's is said to be much more faithful to the original Firebird design and gets great reviews. The new GIbson versions are said to be a bit overwound and use Ceramic magnets. They don't seem to get the same good press.

plankton

Reaction score
I'm late to this party, but just to clarify... a mini-humbucker is not the same as a Firebird pickup. There's a major difference in internal construction. The only thing the same about them is the footprint.

Yes you are correct, but I don't believe anyone in this thread was confused about that.

Reaction score
Yes you are correct, but I don't believe anyone in this thread was confused about that.

Two posters above mentioned mini-humbuckers and seemed to be suggesting these were them. So, just trying to enlighten them.

Do you have a guitar with Epi or Gibson mini's in it? I'd be interested in your back to back comparison of sound if you do.

Latest posts