First Gibson SG

CATMANDUE

Reaction score
I have three Gibson Les Pauls but I had no SGs. I do have a Kay SG knockoff from the late 60s from what I've read. I also have an Epiphone SG Special with pickups which get muddy early on. Today I finally broke down and got myself an SG Special 2017 T. I've played other higher end far more expensive SGs and this one feels, sounds and plays just as good as Standards and Customs I've played. I had to pull the trigger on this one. I'm pretty happy with this new electric.

Logan

Reaction score
I have three Gibson Les Pauls but I had no SGs. I do have a Kay SG knockoff from the late 60s from what I've read. I also have an Epiphone SG Special with pickups which get muddy early on. Today I finally broke down and got myself an SG Special 2017 T. I've played other higher end far more expensive SGs and this one feels, sounds and plays just as good as Standards and Customs I've played. I had to pull the trigger on this one. I'm pretty happy with this new electric.
Since you're well known, I think you know the policy on photos...
:photos:
But no wrong choice with a special... They are great guitars! :thumb:

CATMANDUE

Reaction score
G5dgNTA.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Congratulations... I don't think you can go wrong with an SG special
unless you like more ornamentation. I have two of them and love them
both. One of mine has mini hums, the other one has '57s. My 2012 SG special
is the first one I saw with the block inlays, and I was immediately attracted.
April 2017@100.jpg

So we'll want a complete review. I'd be curious to hear how your new SG
stacks up against your Les Pauls, since you obviously like those. And I'd
be interested in how your Epiphone compares with the Gibbie.. I have two Epiphones, an Epi ES-339 with Rose P-90s and a Wilshire with Gib 490R and Golden Age Overwound humbucker at the bridge. Each of these has a distinctive tone and I like them both very well.

So I don't make my guitars compete with each other much, because each has a distinct tone and is useful for individual songs. To me, SG special is one of Gibson's best, it's a whole lot of guitar for the money you spend. I like the plain straightforward look of them, and the tone and the feel. Good choice.

Last edited:

CATMANDUE

Reaction score
Congratulations... I don't think you can go wrong with an SG special
unless you like more ornamentation. I have two of them and love them
both. One of mine has mini hums, the other one has '57s. My 2012 SG special
is the first one I saw with the block inlays, and I was immediately attracted.
View attachment 27749

So we'll want a complete review. I'd be curious to hear how your new SG
stacks up against your Les Pauls, since you obviously like those. And I'd
be interested in how your Epiphone compares with the Gibbie.. I have two Epiphones, an Epi ES-339 with Rose P-90s and a Wilshire with Gib 490R and Golden Age Overwound humbucker at the bridge. Each of these has a distinctive tone and I like them both very well.

So I don't make my guitars compete with each other much, because each has a distinct tone and is useful for individual songs. To me, SG special is one of Gibson's best, it's a whole lot of guitar for the money you spend. I like the plain straightforward look of them, and the tone and the feel. Good choice.

I fully appreciate the non competition against guitars. How my Gibson SG stacks up with the Lesters and the Epi SG. Here we go!

1.) The Gibbie SG smokes the Epi SG for these reasons:
Gibson SG has 24 Frets with inset neck or whatever Gibson calls it.
Way better tuners ( Although the Epi ones are not awful for being lower end tuners )
The 490s on the Gibbie are far superior in tone to the Epi SG 650R/700T pups ( They muddy up quicker than I like I may change them out in the future, which will vastly enhance the tone overall )

2.) Compared to my 2010 Standard it is far different tone. The Standard has BB Pros which sound incredible loud but a wee more bassy and perhaps a bit thicker. ( Not saying the 490s on the SG sound thin at all either ) I get some great harmonic tones and bite with the 490s. The action is perhaps better on the SG because it came with 9s. ( I just changed the factory ones to EBs and boy what a way better difference, I find the Gibson strings more stiff )

3.) My 2012 LP Special with P90s has a great snappy yet more nosiey tone than the 490s. They are similar yet different beasts shall we say.

4.) My first Lester 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special SL with 490/498 pups. A work of art with perfect tone and perfect pup combination.

5.) The Gibson SG Special T has the wow factor not just on the neck ( great neck! I need to adjust the intonation just peachy pretty soon when I get a breather from other domestic choirs ) I don't want to mess with the way these pickups were set at the factory at all. I need to take measurements and write them down. I get some of the most killer tone that through a decent tube amp you don't even need pedals with this guitar. ( I'm a pedal nut so that is not going away!) I adore the finish on this guitar it is just beautiful. I'm not putting on a poker chip because I'll get to admire more of the great satin vintage burst finish on this fine piece. The best simple way to describe it is, this guitar just looks, feels and sounds fantastic. One thing I've pointed out on another post is that the neck pickup on the SG needs to have the tone dialed in brighter than on any of my LPs. The reason for this being the location of the neck pup.

CATMANDUE

Reaction score
Col. That silver burst is just beautiful. I'm a fan of those deluxe mini hummers on there as well. I don't have any guitars with them. I do have a strong appreciation for the tone they put out. The 57s are great pups as well. To my ears the 57s on an LP sound like the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East tone.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
1998 LP Special SL (Sans Lacquer)
Those are unique in that they have poly finish instead of nitro.
Awesome guitar.

Last edited:

Latest posts