First post! Which SG do you like most?!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by God of Thunder, Jun 13, 2021.

?

Which SG is your favorite?!

1. 2004 SG 61' (Cherry)

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. 2012 SG Standard (Natural)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2017 SG 61' (Black)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

Hello everyone! Brand new to the world of SG's but apparently I needed my inner Angus to come out, so I had to pick up one! I picked up 3 used SG's from Guitar Center, and will only keep one. I am pretty certain I know which one is staying, but I'd love to know which one is your favorite!

We have a 2004 SG 61', a 2012 SG Standard, and a 2017 SG 61'. The 2017 (black) has a small chunk missing from the neck that at some point someone put tape over to not feel it when playing, so it'll have to go back regardless - but I could always get another black. Without keeping you all guessing, the 2004 is likely the one that is staying. It's got a one-piece body, 57' classics, and has a fantastic sound to it! But as I said, I'd love to hear you favorites as I am pretty intrigued with the SG! Additionally, the 2004 (far left) is it considered cherry? It's a little more brownish/red that some of the other cherry I've seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the pickup on the red one - I believe its a 57 Classic?
    [​IMG]

Westernrider and ruster1 like this.
  2. God of Thunder

I'd also like to know everyones thoughts on the 2004 vs the 'new' SG's. The cost on this 04 would be similar to a 2019/2020.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

These are my favorite...

[​IMG]

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    If you are going to ask which SG is people's favourite, your ballot paper has to include ALL Sgs. I mean, what is your favourite colour, beige or khaki?

5. God of Thunder

I guess I wasn't clear enough - of the 3 I posted, which was your favorite of those.

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Still a weird question. Why those? If you are going to do this, you need to at least drop a little context on us. Are these three guitar you own, or maybe someone else does and they will give you one - you just have to pick. Just a little more meat than "pick one of these three" please.

7. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I'm always partial to SG's with the bigger 19th fret neck joint. So the 2012.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Look at the curves on that 2004 61 RI. Between that and the 57 classics it’s a no brainer in my book!

PGSG, No Talent and ruster1 like this.
  9. laza616

laza616 Active Member

I would take 2012 Standard - that one should have baked maple fretboard right?
    And lately i am so into batwing SGs.....

10. cerebral gasket

The 2004 is an SG '61 Reissue.

The 2017 is an SG Standard.

SG '61 Reissues were discontinued in 2013, but there was a limited run in 2016 if not mistaken.

Compare the position of the crown inlay on the 2004 and 2017. That's the feature I notice right away when recognizing the difference between an SG Standard and SG '61 Reissue.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    ruster1 likes this.
  11. God of Thunder

I'll be dang - I didn't even notice the crown inlay being in different spots.

Westernrider likes this.
  12. cerebral gasket

To muddy the waters even more...

The new ones from 2019 to present are called SG Standard '61. It's supposed to be a reissue of the SG '61 Reissue, but the crown inlay is not at the same position as the SG '61 Reissue. They moved it back to the same position as the regular SG Standard.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  13. FF71

FF71 New Member

The bevel of the cherry one is weird. Almost Custom Shop-y. Never seen a '61 RI with that kind of bevel. So, that one gets my vote!

14. God of Thunder

Can you tell me which bevel you're referring too?

15. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

the red one.
    u can see how the horns are carved deeper.
    it probably tapers more to a point from a side profile too.

16. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Hey GoT.. curious as you are playing the shop at home method and getting a good guitar used from GC is a crap shoot usually.. looks like fine specimens there except for the black one with neck issues. In my opinion most people get rid of gear for 2 reasons.. 1. want something else.. 2. its F'ed up in some fashion and try to pass it along to GC as if they wont notice.. which may be the case in the Black one.. that being said, what is the return policy for buying 3 and keeping one? dont you need to pay to ship them back or are you working with a local GC? just seems a bit costly process, but i know they will ship things to your local GC so you can have a look. And what is the current return policy. I was looking over a 2011 standard few months back and it was a real great player and in good shape for $ 1000.. buyers remorse. I like the 2004 as well.. the horn carve is not something you see on every model.. and the 57's are great pups..

17. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

This one is the Guitar Center exclusive Standard 60 which has the slim taper neck and a rosewood board with coil taps. The 2011 -2012 Standard Limited has the baked maple board and chrome covers on the pu's. Both more than hold their own to any '61 RI.

I can't find any info as to why GC dubbed it the Standard 60 as we all know there was no SG in 1960 and these are the improved modern mortise/tenon design of the late 60's.

18. God of Thunder

GC's return policy is rather great. They catch a lot of grief online, but they have an incredible used selection. Vintage gear is where they can get you because return policy on it is only 3 days. But for the newer stuff that they don't classify as vintage, you have like 30-40 days to return it. The only thing you don't get returned is your shipping because I have them shipped to my house. It costs between $19-$21 to have a guitar shipped to me. So I might be out an extra $40 (because I kept one so I had to pay for shipping regardless on it), but for $40 I was able to take my time with 3 instruments and pick the one that felt the best. Now when I bought custom shop 58 Les Paul - I had probably 6 shipped in (not all at the same time), and just kept returning until I found 'the one'. If the instrument has any damage, like the black one, they'll refund the shipping part for that as well. All in all, when it comes to used gear, I have 0 qualms using GC.

edit: I should note there is a GC about 40 minutes away, so I return them in person there. When I have called due to an issue, they've said they can send me a label to return it. I don't know if they charge for those or not though.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    JackStraw and ruster1 like this.
  19. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I totally get it now. you MUST bond with your guitar.. and you get to walk into 100 GC stores at one time by shopping online.. thanks for the info.. !! worth the extra costs IMHO if you are 100% happy with what you were looking for.. I assume you know basic setup and can check the guitars over especially truss rod adjustment and neck twist and set angle as these are deal breakers mostly.. plus some sketchy heel joints and headstock cracks can be witnessed first hand..

God of Thunder likes this.
  20. God of Thunder

I'd be 100% lying if I said I knew how to do most of that! I can set the string height. Mostly - I play it acoustically to see if it has a good sound/resonance. I check the instrument out for damage (this 2004 SG still has the plastic on the rear cover!), and then I will use it. Does it sing well to me. Does it play well. Is it a guitar I keep going to? If it fits the bill - I seem to just know that "this" is the one that I like the most. Hell they may all have bent necks for all I know!

ruster1 likes this.