Fixed the sustain problem with my old LP-SG 1961...

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jazzfusion sg, Sep 2, 2007.

1. jazzfusion sg

jazzfusion sg Member

Guess you all have heard the discussion about the lack of sustain with the first version of Les Paul-SGs in 1961? It is often said that the earliest SGs had short sustain above the 12th fret. So had mine over the last 30 years I´ve owned and played it. A while ago, however, the original plastic nut broke, and at first I tried to get a original plastic nut. I found a guy who wanted to sell such a nut to me, but the price for this old tiny little plastic thing was more than $ 100, plus shipping. Since plastic nuts originally where made white to mimic ivory, I decided to let my tech make an ivory nut instead. Since ivory is illegal today, and consequently out of question, I purchased a piece of legal 15 000 year old mammoth ivory. That´s what I call vintage, I said to myself! However, my tech made a very nice nut of it and polished it so it looked like the original plastic thing, and I had it back. Now I have played the guitar for some weeks and have discovered that the sustain problem over the 12th fret I was so used to, is gone: it now has the same sustain all over the neck. Surprised... :coolsmiley:

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I was lucky w/ my 61' as I've never had any sustain issues anywhere on the neck ... thank God! :)

3. jazzfusion sg

jazzfusion sg Member

My "problems" was very small, but now they disappeared.