Flipping 'G' Saddles

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Robert Herndon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Sorry to see this. But then I know a LIL about it and I have had to Improvise and adapt both epi and Gibson.
    The Lee malia a Top of the line Epi custom which comes with Gibson Pups sounded pretty darn thin and Plinky.
    So I did as Johnny Goo suggested and I replace the nut with a TuskXL and the Bridge with a GOTOH and BAM
    It was allright. My Brand new Gibson LP plaintop I immediately took off the 14.1 ratio green keys and put on
    The new Kluson Locking 19.1 ratio tuners.Having to swap Bridges nuts pups Tuners this is just something we Unfortunatley
    have to sometimetime's do . And remember a lot of guys would love to have your problems. I think I would vent my anger by finding someone to replace the nut and set it up then if I wasn't satisfied sell it I been there done that too . Good luck
    frankd

Robert Herndon likes this.
  2. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Best thing you posted in awhile Raiyn very informative and I noticed that the stain line on my new 2016 LP isn't visible to me till
    I got my glasses and magnifying glass out and I bought it because its supposed to be a Graph tech nut but I'm wondering about that now
    the latest plaintop don't specify what the nut is which is a change becuase they did when I got mine. I replaced the 14.1 Klusons with the new 19.1 locking and it morphed to mo betta.

3. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

Good points, Frank....

Funny thing...tuning Is rock solid with the Gibson Deluxe Green Keys...which was a big problem with my vintage '68 SG. Stays in tune no matter how ham-fisted I play.

Nut specs out, first fret measurement is good, neck relief good, action good, tried different strings (staying with EB Hybrid .009's) so its a little puzzling.

Tomorrow its going to the Gibson service tech for inspection.

Shoot, Frank....first thing the Gibby man said to me was "put the Gotoh Nashville replacement tune-o-matic on it...."

SMH

frankd likes this.
  4. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

The gotoh bridges made a hell of a difference on both my epi lp's Johnny Goo made me do it he said everyone knows the epi nuts suck and replaces them but they leave the sh$tty epi bridge . So I used the GOTOH real nice bridges pretty damn solid . I had to get my 2014
    V pro setup My 2014 SGj I replaced the tuners Kluson is now making these I love them too. Yeah find a good guitar mechanic
    and let him have a go before you give up on it.
    [​IMG]

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ya missed the thing over in RVAs fret thread....

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I admit. That is sort of lame.

7. Robert Herndon

But, the guy did make a lot of sense. The Gotoh is wider with more travel......

8. Robert Herndon

So after a long chat yesterday with Gibby factory, and setting up a meeting this morning with Gibby service here in SoCal, i thought i would share what I've gathered.

Gibby maintains that their customer base demands (for the most part) strict adherence to the old design and all its anomalies. One such anomaly is the G string intonation issue, although other known Gibson idiosyncrasies were discussed.

Seems the most common approach to the G-string issue, without switching to the Gotoh Nashville replacement tune-o-matic bridge, is breaking the leading edge in the floor of the G string nut slot, effectively moving the strings contact point towards the headstock, which, as I am told, lengthens the string in the same fashion as moving the bridge saddle towards the tailpiece.

More to follow later today...

9. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Somebody prove me if I'm wrong, but...
    If you lengthen the string at the nut, then you'll have to compensate by lengthening the string at the bridge for equal intonation.
    This is why I suggested to check where the G string is fretting in its nut slot. If it is not cleanly apexing off the leading edge of the nut, then that will have to be addressed. The string length needs to be shortened at the nut if there's any room to do so.

10. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

If the nut work is fine, and flipping the G saddle isn't enough, then an option of a wider travel bridge needs to be considered.
    I'll throw another option at you: EARVANA NUT...
    http://www.earvana.com

11. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

so was the G saddle ever flipped ???? would be the easiest thing to do.

12. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

13. Robert Herndon

Not by me...

Gibby tech is working on it

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  14. Robert Herndon

The SG is being worked on as we speak....he had this 96 Les Paul Studio on the wall....for sale $800...

IMG_20161022_31902.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  15. Robert Herndon

Gibby is fixed. No saddle flipping. The nut was not binding. However, the Gibson tech said that under magnification, he saw a few serrations in the floor of the G slot in the nut....as if a file had been stopped mid-stroke. Apparently, this was the culprit.

I feel pretty dumb now....

syscokid and Raiyn like this.
  16. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Glad you got it sorted!

17. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's great I figured that's how it would go if ya find the right guitar tech. There is only two within a good 35 mile radius
    I trust to get it right and ones a pain to deal with as he owns the shop and plays in a band and builds custom guitars. So I go
    to my guy a GC he is a certified Gibson and fender tech but most all usually does the work on the spot and gets it right. I guess I could say ya aint flipping out over this any longer . Play on player.

18. Robert Herndon

No joke. The guy is good. I would have never found that. After he intonated it, he showed me the readings on the strobe tuner and it was dead nuts everywhere....7th, 12th and 2nd fret...and none of the saddles are maxed out...

syscokid and Raiyn like this.
  19. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well we all learn something new all the time the video Raiyn posted was a good one and I had to check my 16 Lp
    with my glasses and a magnifying glass to see some of the stuff the guy in the video was showing I relearned
    half the reason I let my tech replace my pups and nuts I cant see as good as I once did I my tech has some crazy
    binocular glasses he puts on and I see why really hard to see something like that with naked eye. My V was making me nuts
    I couldn't get it set up as low as I like and I usually don't have that big a problem adjusting truss I finally took it in and
    he got it there so I know I can keep there with a tweak here and there.

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Nothing to feel dumb about. They fixed the problem that escaped QC. Now if it was something obvious, that'd be a bit different, perhaps.