for the classic muscle car fans

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by oldrockfan, May 21, 2009.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I must need my head examined. My younger son Josh turns 16 in July and has been looking for a car. Of course he has almost no money saved up since he spends alot on his music stuff so his car budget basically meant he would have to bottom fish. Today we were checking the local car stuff online and came across something very unusual. It was a 1973 mustang for a dirt cheap price ($1000). Seemed too good to be true but at the pleading of my son, I said we would go look at it after school. So we drive out to meet the nice guy and sure enough it is a 1973 mustang coupe with a stock 302 2 barrel and auto transmission. What really suprised me is the car actually cranked right up!

Body was straight and not much rust at all underneath. Suspension was all intact and frame appeared straight. This car actually looks like it has never been wrecked! At this point, I am thinking this is too good to be true and then I see the flaw... It had a vinyl top and the underlying roof sheetmetal was totally rusting out :-\

So, I talk a bit to the guy and he offers to knock $250 off so we end up getting a running 1973 mustang for the whopping sum of $750. I tell Josh it is going to be a huge amount of work cleaning up the interior and especially trying to cut out all that rust on the roof and weld in a donor roof but he says he is up for the challenge.

I had a 1969 mustang as a kid so I decided it would be a good learning process for him and agreed to get it for him. Looks like I will be spending alot of time in the garage working on it but honestly, I don't mind. It will be a good chance to spend time with my son before he grows up and also it might be fun to work on an old mustang again. Well except for that rusty roof which I just know is going to be a huge hassle but thats ok. Worst case scenario we spend some time cleaning it up and if we can't get the roof fixed, we sell it and chalk it up as a good learning process.

I guess this wouldn't be complete without a couple pics so here are a couple crappy phone pics. Won't be picking it up till this weekend so guess it is time to clean out the garage a bit to get ready for it.

[​IMG]
    look at the front, paint is pretty faded and grill is damaged but body is clean

[​IMG]
    shot of back actually looked very good all original but roof under that white vinyl is crap

[​IMG]
    here is a shot of a 73 in showroom condition just as a motivator for Josh

2. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

I actually like those early 70's Mustangs. Not a bad deal, going to be a ton of work if you really want to restore it. The good thing is since Mustangs in general are pretty popular as resto cars, parts should be plentiful and not too expensive. I'd yank any smog equipment off that motor, put on some headers, 4 barrel, electronic ignition and new exhaust, x-pipe with some flow masters. It might not be pretty but it sure would sound good.

Good luck and have fun!

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Damn thats lucky. I wish I could find cars like that for that cheap in Canada.

How does it work in the states, are you elligible to drive by yourself at 16? For us we can get our learners permit at 16 and our license allowing us to drive by ourselves a year later, or 8 months if we take drivers ed. Then a year later we can get our full license.

4. oldrockfan

in the states, you can drive with adult 18 or over when you are 15. After min 6 months you can drive solo but have to be at least 16. Josh just got his learners permit so won't be eligable to drive solo for 6 months. By then, hopefully we have it ready to go.

as for smog... 1973 just happened to be the last year before the mustangs put emissions controls in them so no power robbing stuff on that 302. The 2 barrel is actually a good thing for now so it doesn't have too much power for Josh to learn on. Once he gets more confidence, we might let him drop a 4-barrel in to give it a bit more kick. Definately like the dual exhaust and headers but finances will probably not allow that in the near term.

5. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Member

My first car cost me 150 bucks so this would definitly be a step up! Looks like you got a decent set of wheels there -

6. John J

John J Active Member

Way to go ORF. Screamin deal.

7. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

I was going to say but forgot, stock those cars were only rated at maybe 220 horse power, I could look it up. With minor mods you would be pushing the old motor to maybe stock new performance. However it will be the wheels and tires that will be most dangerous with a rear wheel drive of that vintage. As much as I'm sure you want to keep them as stock as possible, I'd highly recommend getting some wider sticky tires on at least the rear. The suspension and stock wheel/tire combo may make it a bit squirly for the uninitiated. ;)

8. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

That car's the same age as me. Heck, I'm pretty rusty too! ;D

9. oldrockfan

ok time for an update on the muscle car. I have good news and bad news. The bad news first... after 3 weeks of trying to get the title from the owners with no results and talking to the DOV about how we could get the car inspected and registered without a itle we ended up giving up on the mustang. DOV just said no way to get it registered without huge hassle and some risks ie. original owners could decide after we fix the car all up that they want it back and then take us to court! So Josh lost out on his 1973 mustang.

Josh was so bummed out and had almost decided to just get an old civic and be done with it. That is until we found something that totally changed his mind... I am going to test the muscle car fans and see if someone can guess what he got. First hint is Mopar.

10. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

11. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

That sucks big time. I guess theres something to be said for the security of oral contracts.

12. oldrockfan

bradsure, you are on the right track... now think 318 V8 w/ factory headers and dual exhaust.

13. oldrockfan

and for another hint... think 1972

14. oldrockfan

and here she is, a 1972 charger ;D
    [​IMG]
    the proud young owner just a few minutes after seeing her

[​IMG]
    under the hood is a 318 V8 albeit a very dirty one in need of some restoration

[​IMG]
    here is a side view, I loved the look of these

[​IMG]
    and here is one from tonight of the proud owner still hard at work. I had the day open so we spent all day working on his car. We had to re-install the drive shaft that was removed for transportation and went ahead and changed out the U-joint just to be safe. Car runs and drives but still needs alot of work to be reliable enough for daily use.

15. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

16. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

Congrats! That 318 is about the best motor Mopar put out. You better remind him how much a set of tires is going to cost cause I think it will be easy to smoke those. I had a 67' RS Camaro w/327 in high school and used to uh........drive with a guy that had a Charger with a 318. The Camaro was lightweight and would bark and go but that Charger would smoke em and catch up. :coolsmiley:

17. oldrockfan

One of my buddies had one back in highschool and he said the 318 V8 was a great engine. He has already come over to take a look at Josh's car and loved it. He has volunteered to help Josh restore it some in exchange for a chance to drive it of course. ;) Going to be a fun project to work on with Josh.

Our goal is to get it ready in time for daily driving to school in the fall. Going to take some time to go thru the car and inspect everything and clean it all up to see what might need replacement soon. Going to be working on a shoestring budget so will only replace stuff that we have to. The big cost will be paint. The good news is I've got all the equipment already and have done some auto painting so all Josh will have to pay for is the supplies such as paint, sandpaper, etc. Right now, Josh is leaning towards painting the car white with the stripe around the trunk but that is of course subject to change.

The only sad thing is to help pay for the car, Josh is going to have to sell his SG special. He also has a SG standard so not that big a deal but that SG special was his first really nice guitar that he worked very hard mowing yards to pay for.

18. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

cool! I really want a 68-69 318 equipped dart, or better yet a hemi-dart. However I disagree that the 318 is the best mopar engine of that era, I'd say their slant 6 was a remarkable engine, as far as durability.

A buddy had a 69 road runner with the stock 383, the car was stock and pretty beat up but damn did it sound mean! Ran a 14.9 at sears point, was rated brand new at about that, so not bad at all.

19. oldrockfan

I am strictly speaking on what I've been told by others on the 318 but have to say it sounds great! The 318 on Josh's charger has headers and a full dual exhaust system and really has that deep throaty exhaust note. Here is a pic of the motor (excuse the sun in the pic).

[​IMG]

I look forward to learning more about chargers and this 318. We learned today that the car has a working monroe air shock setup in the rear and it really looks nice pressurized to 70psi.

20. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Oh, keep us posted as it looks like a nice project :)