for the classic muscle car fans

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by oldrockfan, May 21, 2009.

1. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=19259.msg253912#msg253912 date=1291931381]
    I already told it was sweet on Facebook, damn attention w hore! ;D
    [/quote]

But the fact that you're taking the time to comment on it again anyways is not only flattering, but demonstrates how much time you have on your hands. :)

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Yep, that is the straight 6 which is kinda a bummer as the V8 models are more fun to drive and worth more. The good news is from your pics, it looks to be super clean condition for its age. I bet that thing would be a blast to cruise around in.

3. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=19259.msg253923#msg253923 date=1291944794]

But the fact that you're taking the time to comment on it again anyways is not only flattering, but demonstrates how much time you have on your hands. :)
    [/quote]

OK, you got me.........*Damn kids* ;D

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

Ya gotta love th clear plastic seat covers. It's got that grandma vibe. Those straight sixes are bulletproof and good mileage engines.

5. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Ya need to mount a compass on the dash. ;D

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

...Or a hula girl.

7. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=19259.msg253929#msg253929 date=1291978246]
    Ya gotta love th clear plastic seat covers. It's got that grandma vibe. Those straight sixes are bulletproof and good mileage engines.
    [/quote]

My dad's a stickler for keeping things in pristine condition. You ought to see his comic book collection ;D

8. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=19259.msg253948#msg253948 date=1292106068]

My dad's a stickler for keeping things in pristine condition. You ought to see his comic book collection ;D
    [/quote]That 60 looks real nice considering it's spent it's whole life way up in the snowbelt.

9. oldrockfan

I sold my 1969 mustang several months ago and have been looking for my next restoration project. it took me a long time to find a project I wanted to restore AND was cheap enough that I could afford to buy it in this crappy economy. I finally found one that I am really, really looking forward to restoring in my free time. It is a 1970 mach 1 mustang with a 351 cleveland. The car is clearly a big project and will take a ton of work but should be really nice when I am finished. Thought I'd put some "before" pictures on this old thread since it is the one dedicated to old muscle cars.

My goal is to have it driving by spring and finished by summer.

[​IMG]
    1970 mach 1 straight from a farmers barn in Oklahoma

[​IMG]
    body isn't too bad

[​IMG]
    back end actually pretty good although missing a few things like bumper

[​IMG]
    interior is pretty rough and will take alot of work to clean up

[​IMG]
    yep, gonna be alot of work but a fun project.

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

That will be a sharp car when done. Might I suggest one of the new Coyote 5.O engine/ 6 spd transmissions to go in it? I sold my '06 Mustang GT back in March. I'm tinkering with an old Honda Dream motorcycle now.

11. oldrockfan

no doubt the coyote 5.0 is an amazing engine. Last I read on it, it was doing about 400hp and around 400ft lbs of torque and still getting 20 mpg! I'd love to drop one in the car but I would not even want to guess how much one of those would cost. I am just a poor boy these days so have to do this restoration on the cheap. Only way I could afford the mach 1 is by checking craigs lists regularly for about 6 months straight till I found a barn find at a great price up in oklahoma and jumped on it.

The car came with a 351 cleveland 2 barrel which is probably good for about 250hp and 300ft lbs of torque stock. The thing about 351cleveland motors is they can be rebuilt for alot more performance. I ran the specs on camquest software and looks like I can get 435hp and 440ft lbs of torque with the build I want to do with this one. That will have to wait for a while though as it requires new heads, intake, carb, cam, crank, pistons and several other expensive bits. I'm hoping I can just do a basic rebuild with new rings, etc and get her up and running with the 2 barrel motor for now.

12. TNT

TNT Active Member

Coyote crate engines are $6500.00 which I believe includes an ECM. The 351C-2V is a good engine. I had one in a '71 Torino GT and gave old 5.0 Mustang GT cars fits on the highway - they couldn't pass me. Not much down low though. I would go with a 3.73 rear gear and possibly an overdrive auto if you can swing it.

13. oldrockfan

it came with the original c6 which is very handy because it is so easy to change out gear ratios. I was thinking about trying a 4.11 rear end since I don't drive fast these days but do like burning rubber off of a stop light or hard acceleration from 0-60mph.

14. TNT

TNT Active Member

15. oldrockfan

had no idea they even made those. That would be very cool although as you mentioned it aint cheap. The car has 3.55 gears in it right now so I think just going up to a 4.10 ratio will give the car extra low end grunt on a budget.

16. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=19259.msg263084#msg263084 date=1323294307]
    That will be a sharp car when done. Might I suggest one of the new Coyote 5.O engine/ 6 spd transmissions to go in it? I sold my '06 Mustang GT back in March. I'm tinkering with an old Honda Dream motorcycle now.
    [/quote] I knew a guy that had a 160 dream back in about 1970. I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

17. TNT

TNT Active Member

That's actually what mine is. Technically it's a CA95 Benley and the bigger bikes (305) are actually Dreams but they look similar.

Attached Files:

18. oldrockfan

what a cool bike! I bet you have a blast jetting around on that one. I remember my first street legal bike which was a little Honda SL100 that I bought for a whopping $75. It was so much fun to cruise around on. Boy that was alot of years ago though ;D

19. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19259.msg263206#msg263206 date=1323738556]
    what a cool bike! I bet you have a blast jetting around on that one. I remember my first street legal bike which was a little Honda SL100 that I bought for a whopping $75. It was so much fun to cruise around on. Boy that was alot of years ago though ;D
    [/quote]

Mine was an SL125 I bought new..... also a very long time ago. :(

20. John J

John J Active Member

That thing is in nice shape for one that's probably 40-45 years old.