Forming a recovery plan

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JazzyJeff, Apr 23, 2018.

1. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

Ok. so you know how sometimes you try to fix a boo boo and progressively make it worse? No? Ok, it is just me. So I "finished" my sg prototype and had a few hiccups along the way. Mainly, my router has too many miles on it. With all my effort, it kept finding just a little more depth for me, that I didn't want.

So, even after all my "careful" planning, I got the neck angle tooflat. Then to recover from high action, routed the bridge into the body. This combined with a couple other malfunctions has brought me to the conclusion. Pull it apart.

I already have my next two bodies cut, with refinements. So salvage the neck for one of those.

2018-04-17 16.46.36.jpg

Now, I am not one for waste, so here is my plan.

cleaning up the face of the body and installing a flying v style neck with no head-stock angle. Maybe a longer scale and strat style tremolo.

I have forever wanted to mod one of my les pauls with a tremolo, especially when playing some Rush or Jimi. This may be the perfect opportunity to get the best of both worlds, provided I can make the springs work out in back without penetrating into the pickup cavity.

lemme hear your thoughts.