Fralin P92 in a 61 Standard SG

denton

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Fralin P92 pups in an SG? I just picked up a 2019 61, and I love everything about the guitar except I’m not thrilled with the pickups. I’ve never owned P90’s, but I have owned a Nash T-72 with the Lollar Regals that I miss. I’m thinking the P92 might be in the same ballpark tonally after reading the descriptions. I could be off on that comparison but still, I’m really intrigued with the P92’s...

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Those Fralin P-92 look interesting.
I have a Fralin Hum-Cancelling P-90 in my LP Junior DC.

That Fralin P-92 would be great at the neck position for cleans. Install a Humbucker of your choice at the bridge for hi gain use.

My SG has stock P-90 at neck and Kinman Nasty 90 Zero Hum at bridge.

No one says both neck and bridge pups have to be same type. So many options available today that do not require routing the pup cavities.

Last edited:

denton

Reaction score
Yeah great point. I may start with a neck P92 and see what that’s like. I could live with the 61 bridge for a bit and then determine if I want to keep it, slip in a Lollar Imperial, or maybe another P92.

I will say this 6/19 made 61 Standard I picked up used off Reverb is really a great guitar. Neck straight as an arrow...I actually had to raise the action a little. More meat on this neck than the 07 I had recently. That’s a positive for me.

Huckleberry

Reaction score
I have fralin stock p90s and they're my favorite. I've tried bareknuckle, Lollar, duncan antiquity and one other brand I forgot. I like fralins the most. I wouldn't hesitate to buy those pickups.

denton

Reaction score
Order placed. There was a new set on Reverb for $99 off. Would have preferred the raw nickel, but shiny nickel will do for the price! 8200 and 9200 wind. Gibson wiring. Time to dust off the soldering iron and see if I can remember how to do it :)

Latest posts