Fret Job And More

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pedecamp, Aug 21, 2017.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I just had my guitar in for service for the first time, its a 2005 Gibson faded SG, I've played it a couple hours a day every day since I got it, you can imagine how destroyed the frets were, flat and string cuts in them, they just started fretting out on me and there was no way to adjust it out so off to the shop it went. So I brought it in for a fret level and recrown, the guy got it done the next day I was very pleased with his turn around time and surprised and very happy with the job he did. Everything feels nice and tight, he not only leveled, recrowned and polished the frets, he cleaned the finger board and oiled it, waxed the body, did something to my tuners now they all feel tight and turn smoothly the same, did a restring and full setup. All I had to do was a minor readjust of the neck he had it straight with low action, I prefer a little relief and higher action about 1/8" at the 12th fret for easier bends and pull offs. No pictures, see my avatar to the left, thats it! I'm very happy. :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Nice! With so many tales of faulty and shoddy repairs out there it's nice to hear about the times it all works out.

pedecamp likes this.
  3. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

Congrats on the "new" guitar!

While living in Brazil I had one trusty luthier, who actually became a good friend over the years.
    When I moved to Romania I had to try 5 different guys to actually find someone I could trust to work on my guitars.

I was so used to a perfect in every detail job from my guy in Brazil that when I came here the not so professional work was unacceptable. Luckily I found a guy to do my set ups and crazy changes on the guitars, not only he is a high level professional he is also a monster player and a gearhead. Hope we also become friends. We are slowly getting there, Europeans are a little more difficult to get out of their shells and accept new friends. Me too now a days, but we will get there.

pedecamp likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I'm glad the fret work turned out great. I've replaced electronics, tuners and pickups on my guitars, even do my own setups. But I would never touch the frets. It's too easy to screw it up.

pedecamp likes this.
  5. kiko

kiko Active Member

Good that the fret job worked out! +1 for good luthiers! :thumb:

pedecamp likes this.
  6. pedecamp

Yeah I do all my own work on my guitars but I've never done frets. I thought about getting the tools to do it but at the end of the day I just wanted it done and done right. Cheers!

AngelDeVille likes this.
  7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

We lost the guy I trusted to Austin, TX. so I'll be doing my first full fret level sometime in the next week or so. I'm making a notched ruler, and if my leveling file idea works out I'll share it.

I hate guys that want your guitar for weeks to do a job that takes a few minutes.

8. pedecamp

I was lucky, he had it overnight! Good luck on your project :yesway:

9. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

It's not rocket science though, if you have the right tools its idiot proof IMO. And I'm no engineer. you just need to follow the steps... get a good crowning tool though, my shitty one is no good anymore after 5 jobs...

What I did at first was buy a few squires or shitty acoustics for 50$ on kijiji, do everything on them, and then donate them to people who need them. I did this with three guitars and by the end I was confident to do it on my own guitars.

EDIT/PS: I've only recently become comfortable with this and did share your "everything but frets" opinion till I just jumped in and did it. Now I'm of the "everything but a neck reset" persuasion... that will likely last a while...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Chubbles, pedecamp and AngelDeVille like this.
  10. AngelDeVille

Bath towel works great, just don't let the wife catch you....

11. pedecamp

My local guitar guy did such a good job I brought him another guitar to service. Its an Eastwood Hi-Flyer, a Mosrite knockoff so to speak, I've had it a long time and could never get the neck to adjust for me. Well the other day I realized the truss rod nut was off so I pulled it out with some needle nose pliers and saw it was stripped that's why I couldn't adjust the neck. The nut is an inch long threaded on one side and a hex on the other, so this guy cut off about 1/8" of the stripped nut and rethreaded it, hes a super genius and fixed it with no problem! He gave the guitar a once over and a setup with new strings and it plays better than it ever did since the day I got it! Turn around time again was only a day and the quality of his work top notch! Very happy once again! :D :D

AngelDeVille likes this.
  12. AngelDeVille

Sounds like a good guy to have around!

I just leveled the frets on a problem neck last night, but it's going on a new custom build so I won't get to try it out until I modify a bridge, and cut the new nut.

I used the #600 grit side of a diamond sharpening block as a file, and it seemed to work quite well....

[​IMG]

pedecamp likes this.