Fretless guitar?

skidshark

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a friend that wants to do an experiment by making a fretless guitar, thinkin he wants the dots for reference, but otherwise fretless.

Anyone have any input for him?

mdubya

Reaction score
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzle_hgjakY[/youtube]

If I recall, Frusciante originally just pulled the frets out of a regular fretted strat. That left him with dots and lines where the frets had been.

nynvolt

Reaction score
Wonder what he put on the fret board, glass or plexi glass? Pretty cool how he gets a little bit of a slide sound with it. I know you get a kind of "feeling" for finger placement but I bet it takes quite awhile to develop the correct touch to get accurate pitch but in theory you could get a more precise pitch going fretless since it is impossible to get 100% pitch perfect intonation with straight frets.

skidshark

Reaction score
m friend wants to try it with an E-bow...should be interesting! He's wanting to do it on the cheap tho-, has a donor guitar. he's thinking of removing frets and filling in the gaps with filler. I offered to ask you guys as he isn't on any forums....

mdubya

Reaction score
He should be able to just remove the frets and let 'er rip, maybe lower the action a little bit. I have played a fretless bass. It had lines where the frets should have been, so that gives you a good reference point. It is just a little funny trying to "fret" right on the lines instead of in between.

SG John

Reaction score
Welcome back Skid. I'd fill the fret slots after ripping out the frets. Lou would be the best person to ask though. Good luck with the project.

everdying

Reaction score
just be careful of the neck possibly warping or causing excessive bow due to the obvious empty slots in the board.

dbb

Reaction score
As both a guitarist and a player of the oud, a fretless Arab/Turkish lute, I'd recommend that he use an inexpensive guitar or neck, carefully pull the frets, full the holes, etc. and spend the time needed to get the intonation down.

Fretless guitar has become an interesting small but growing side of guitar playing. Not only are rockers playing sans frets, but the Turks are doing it too, mostly on nylon string guitars but that could be changing.

I'd like to set a fretless guitar up in Oud tuning and give it a try. Best of both maybe?

skidshark

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys...passin on info and tryin to get him to take photos etc...who knows, maybe I can get him on the forums. I imagine normal wood putty'd be fine for filling in the frets?

Raging Taco

Reaction score
i would use a ground up charcoal and wood glue mix. or like... dust from sanding the same kind of wood, and glue.

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=Raging Taco link=topic=19611.msg238321#msg238321 date=1250839011]
i would use a ground up charcoal and wood glue mix. or like... dust from sanding the same kind of wood, and glue.
[/quote]

It depends...do you want no visible lines or easily seen lines where the frets would have been?

dbb

Reaction score
Thanks for the clip....and was he also using a loop pedal?

Latest posts