From maestro to tuneomatic

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pulse., Apr 14, 2020.

1. pulse.

pulse. New Member

Sadly no, have you ever seen their speed?

Demon Dave likes this.
  2. Bob L

Bob L Member

Yes, I have great respect for bouzouki players. I love Greek music and the sound of the bouzouki! I bought a bouzouki from a well known Greek luthier a few years ago. It is a lot of fun to play!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Demon Dave likes this.
  3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

4. pulse.

pulse. New Member

Yeah, it's the same Betts/Allman did on their 61 SG where they removed the sideways unit.

5. devlin0208

devlin0208 New Member

Avoid the Maestro unless it's an older model. I've got a '65 SG Special with a Maestro that stays in tune well. The Maestro is nearly parallel with the body of the guitar and will spin around 360⁰.

I got a 2007 '61 Les Paul reissue (SG shape) with a Maestro. The spring angle is wrong, angled at about 45⁰ so when the case was closed, it depressed the Maestro and it was impossible to keep in tune. No way to spin it around so the case would close properly. Gibson's forums were jammed in 2007-2010 with lengthy threads of people complaining about this, as well as plenty of people's suggestions to rectify it. Gibson scrubbed the forums, there were hundreds of complaints as it was a "known issue". Gibson just made these complaints disappear. The spring angle on the trem bar is so radical to close the case it depresses the Maestro. I still see this angle on the Maestro equipped ones in stores today. Avoid the Maestro, it looks cool but if you intend to play it, you will regret it if you like playing in tune.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020