From pedal to DAW

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Tobacco Worm, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Talk about your basic minimal signal path, that's one right there. Here's the thing. Besides my RAT and Joyo fettish, I am a confirmed Digitech nut. Got about five of them and all have this nifty little output jack with cabinet emulations to them for either a mixer/monitor or recorder. Until now I never used that output as frankly I never thought of it.:dunno:

Finally getting over my battle with digital recording (yes I won!) I decided to give this feature of the Digitech's a go. Using a Digitech pedal at the end of the signal chain going direct into the interface (a simple little Behringer unit) I can stack any pedal in front of this and get the signal to Audacity with ease, and it's accruate too. The signal is dry of course, but I can add reverb and such later with the DAW. (Sadly my reverb pedal is still held captive at Bills'! :mad:) But being that as it may be, I've had some real marked success with this style of input to the DAW that I am amazed.

One pedal, a discontined model, the Distortion Factory DF-7, has 7 different distortion/OD pedals in it, but the kicker is that EACH model has it's own different cabinet emulation assigned to it. I can go from a TS-9 with a '65 Dlx. Reverb, to a Big Muff pi and a Marshall 4X12 w/25w Celestion Greenbacks. And the beauty of this is that the cabinet emulation is there even when the distortion part is turned off! And you can really tell the difference in the recorded product. I would have never though it possible, but it's true.

So I can skip the need of trying to run a mike or two and get the amp involved (and my crazy ever moving cats) and simply plug into the interface with as many pedals as I desire with a Digitech at the end of the line providing the cabinet emulation for the interface' signal to the DAW. It's so simple it's stupid! (as Ted says) I know that many folks will say "You'll never capture the feel of the amp and all it's tone unless you mike it." And this is true in a way, but again I have about 10 sq. ft. of space to do all this magic. It's like trying to do everything in a small walk in closet but without the walls. :naughty:

Well that's this old man's latest tale of the search for sonic bliss. Glad you tuned in. Take care.

Wade

JohnP likes this.
  2. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Using Reaper as your DAW, you can add all kinds of stuff to your signal chain. Personally, I like using real pedals as opposed to sims. Anyways, the best feature, imo, of recording digitally onto a PC are all those amp and cab sims you can use. If I had to buy all the amp/cab sims I've got archived on my machine the cost would be well into the tens of thousands of dollars.

The funny thing is I only end up using the same amp and cab sims all the time. :)

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I knew you could do it! Kudos!

4. Tobacco Worm

Thanks David! It was a fight for me, but being an old Ranger I never ran from a fight in my life. After doing some serious study and then working with the Audacity program some more, a little lightbulb went "ping" above my head and it was all down hill from there. Shucks I'm running these dry signals from the multi pedals into the DAW and creating all sorts of effects that are there to use from it. Kinda cute. Still have that "One Take" tape attitude going on and so I edit little with the cut and splice sorta thing. I'm not that computer sharp, so the old school do it right the first time attitude is ok by me. :)

Using the pedals for the preamp portion of the initial signal is fun! Only need one Digitech pedal (Chorus Factory) at the end of the pedals to provide the cabinet emulation, all other pedals feed into it and I can go totally nuts with them all.. The line out from the VC XD amp is real handy too as I can get all the 'verb I could ever hope for and different amp models as well. It's real pedal friendly too. I'm having a blast. Now if I can get my right hand to hold a pick longer than three minutes it would be even better!:fingersx: Thanks for having confidence in me partner, that means a lot to this old man...

Wade

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I still try to get everything right before editing. I'm trained like you were as far as tracking is concerned. No "fix it in the mix" crap for me, unless there's no avoiding it.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  6. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Tobacco Worm/Wade: Are you looking for any specific cab sims?

7. Tobacco Worm

Oh good grief no, between the different cab emulations from the Digitech pedals and the many from the Fender Vibro Champ XD I've got all I can handle! I've got so many choices now that I get confused!:naughty:

Wade

8. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

A good cab sim is going to sound light years better than the what you're getting from that Digitech pedal.

As for choices... Yeah, it's daunting when you got hundreds, even thousands of different cab/mic combos to choose from.

9. Tobacco Worm

Yeah, and to make it worse I'm from the old school of tape. We strived to get everything right BEFORE it ever went down on tape. So I really use little edits within the DAW as I get it right before I ever plug into the computer. So if I were to try to use stuff from within the computer for a cab or other stuff I'd get confused and likely start looking for my S&W 629 to blast it! :laugh2: Naw, it's all good. I really believe if it ain't broke why fix it?

Wade

Alex_SG likes this.
  10. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

What you need is an impulse loader like this,

LeCab 2 Impulse Loader
    LePou Plugins: LeCab2 (VST for Windows)

You open this up in your DAW and just add whatever cab sims you like. It might at first seem likea big p.i.t.a., but the tonal variations this allows for is staggering.

I've found the best way to go if you're going to be recording digitally is to use real pedals and a real tube preamp. Send that into a DI box and then into your USB interface of choice. Using a real pedal and a real preamp will save you a ton of CPU usage as well. Also, this means the only thing in your chain that's "fake" will be the cab sims.

And speaking of 29s, I used to have a real nice one with a 4" tube, target hammer and trigger, and recessed chambers.

11. Tobacco Worm

Well sir, I'm not computer friendly at all. The last computer that gave me grief took some rounds from my .45-70 and it no longer gave me any problems after that. Seriously, this is the computer that acted up on me.
    [​IMG]
    After cross ventilating it with a few 405gr. slugs from my buffalo gun I got it's mind right and I felt much better. :naughty: So really I'm doing ok for now. If I try anything else new here with this digital recording stuff I may have a repeat episode and have no computer at all.:wow: But I do thank you for the interest. However, I can barely hold my own as it is now with what I've got and I am truly an old dog that can't learn many new tricks.:)

When they put an MDT in my partol unit I transferred to the mounted unit. Couldn't put one of those things on a saddle! I really don't like computers and have pushed the envelope as far as I care to for now...

Oh, that 29 you had must have been a 29-2 with that cylinder type huh?

Wade

12. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

It was an older model. Perfect bluing and came papered in a wooden presentation case. I got it for $350 way back when.

13. Tobacco Worm

I remember my first 29 that I carried when I first pinned on a badge in '75. They all used to be in those nice presentation cases back then. A shame as the 629 I have now, haa, was in a blue plastic box! This is my 5th M29, but they were always 4" models. That old rig I used then is still in action now around my place out in the woods. When I walk the place I strap it on and feels like I'm now on foot patrol!:) Yeah, I like a good M29 4". Just fits the hand and hits like a Panzer doing 80MPH!!:thumb:

Wade

14. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Wade, you won the battle, lol.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  15. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

OK, so now that I have Audacity downloaded and a cut recorded, saved the file. How come I can't transfer the file? What's the trick after all that? In other words the saved file I can further work with, but I don't want to. I just want to post it? How come I can't copy and post? I saved it in the video library, does it matter?

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Are you just saving the files as an Audacity project?

You need to export the file or export the selection as a wav or mp3, then you can use it. Pull down on the left hand menu for export.

17. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Dave, when I saved it I used the left hand menu and hit "saved as" so the entire program was saved, which means I could I further fool around.

So from what I saved I go back to the left and hit export?

GT

18. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

OK its on WAV, but I still can't copy it? How do you move it? Was I suppose to read the directions? :applause:

19. Tobacco Worm

It's a matter of "Exporting" the aud. file to MP3 and such. Once you do that it's all down hill. I know nothing about you tube and such and sound cloud is a total mystery to me though. You're on your own there...

You go to File. Pull down the thing there and find Export. Hit that and go to the MP3 part, name it, and you're good to go.

I had tried to insert the basic instructions I have that's a one page deal in pdf., but of course I failed as this is a computer! I really hate computers... I have no idea how to insert a picture of a file and crap like that with these things!

GTSG likes this.
  20. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wade's on it.

Pull down from the menu, go to export or export selection (that for just a part of the whole project).

I usually save them all as BOTH wav and mp3 files.

I also choose to export them to the desktop where it's easy to find the files and send them off to soundcloud or wherever.

So far I've had no problems with this.

I'm sorry to admit it, but I do read directions, owner's manuals, tutorials, etc. Bad habit.