G3 tonight!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Codemeister, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

;D

Satch, Petrucci, and Gilbert!

If/when I get back later, I'll tell yall how it went.

:D
    :coolsmiley:

2. timmywear

timmywear Member

so jealous

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I might be going when they come here. Please make a full report afterwards.

4. Lumbergh

Lumbergh Member

I'm going on Sunday, when they hit LA. I can't wait, gonna be sweet. I'll give a review when I get back from it.

5. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

i think they are at the house of blues here on the 30th... $45 for tix

6. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

Yeah, hit it up man. It fucking rocked. Gilbert played some Racer-X, and some stuff off his new album. Satch did some old stuff, and some new stuff I've never heard before. Petrucci rocked hard, but he has put on some weight and now he has manboobs. Pretty good fuckin show. You won't be dissapointed.

7. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Going to see them at the Starland Ballroom, NJ. Did Satch play: The Extremist, anything from Surfing With The Alien? Did Petrucchi play: Glasgow Kiss?

8. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=12788.msg166943#msg166943 date=1174148472]
    Going to see them at the Starland Ballroom, NJ. Did Satch play: The Extremist, anything from Surfing With The Alien? Did Petrucchi play: Glasgow Kiss?
    [/quote]

Nah, he didn't play The Extremist ???

He did some stuff off Surfing With the Alien. And yeah, Petrucci played that.

9. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

10. Zeppelin Rules

Its a shame that Steve Vai isn't playing G3 this year.

11. mattchurchill

mattchurchill Member

Saw G3 about 10 years ago and EJ was supposed to be playing, but was replaced by Adrian Legg.

I've always been a Vai nd Satch fan, but only recently discovered Petrucci. I can't believe that guys level of concentration when he's playin' live!

I seen alot of the best shredders in the world demonstrate 'human touches!' at gigs, but I'm yet to see John Petrucci play anything less than perfect!

did he play 'Glasgow Kiss'?,

;)

12. Zeppelin Rules

Petrucci is a great player, but he has 0 stage presence.

13. mattchurchill

mattchurchill Member

You're right, he definitely lacks the a bit of the old charisma. Something that the other boys ( Satch and Vai) have bags of.

A friend of mine once told me that people go to 'see' gigs and not to 'listen' to them. I often find myself with my eyes closed at a good gig!

14. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

He said he " Doesn't play fast cause people just die! " ;D

15. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=12788.msg167142#msg167142 date=1174234126]
    He said he " Doesn't play fast cause people just die! " ;D
    [/quote]

ahhhhh Hes going to kill us all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hywld4xFHiM

16. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=12788.msg167139#msg167139 date=1174233323]
    Petrucci is a great player, but he has 0 stage presence.
    [/quote]

I guess this opens up the great debate of "show" vs "concert"

KISS -- show
    Yes -- concert

17. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Is that why those that try to much of each end up with a ...... shert... or is that just a cow.............? ;D

18. Lumbergh

Lumbergh Member

I saw G3 last night in LA.

Awesome show...

Gilbert came on first, played a few songs off his new album and then a few racer x songs. Simply amazing - I was in awe the entire time he was on. He had the other guitarist from racer x with him, and he shredded too!

Patrucci came on next, and again was awesome. It took him about halfway through the first song to actually warm up, but after that it was smooth sailing. Portnoy drummed for him, and was his usual self. I think he caught about 1 stick out of the 2309852039502 he threw up. It was pretty funny. At one point he had to drum with one hand for about a minute by the time his tech finally noticed that he was signallling to him to throw him another stick.

Satch was last, and although he was fun and pretty good, I wasn't too impressed. There was something about it that was a little amaturish... satch seemed too "in the zone" if you know what I mean. He was too into the music and got sloppy. But it was still fun and I enjoyed it.

Obviously the most fun and best part was the jam. They first played Foxy lady, which was incredible. That immediately segged into Purple Haze, and ended with the voodoo chile riff. After that they played Jumpin Jack Flash. I've never really been a fan of that song or the stones in general, but they played it well.

Overall it was definitely the most fun concert I've been to. I'd definitely recommend going and seeing some sort of G3 sometime - these guys have too much fun on stage, its pretty amazing to watch.

19. ZylitoL

ZylitoL New Member

I'm seeing them this year! It's my first time going to G3 so I'm hyped!! I've watched most of their vids on DVD and they're off the hook.

It's a real shame that Vai isn't there this time around. I love his stuff, and I love his band (Sheehan is especially nice). Maybe next time.

Petrucci is basically why half my buddies are going. Suspended Animation is a slick album, and I love Damage Control and Glasgow Kiss. Did he put on some weight (ala Malmsteen)?
    I don't know too much about Gilbert/Racer X so it'll be a good experience. I hope he's as good as people say.
    Satch is the basically the reason I'm going. I'd kill to see him play Always with me always with you and Satch Boogie!

April 5th, @ Massey Hall. Any other Torontonians coming?

20. Lumbergh

Lumbergh Member

[quote author=ZylitoL link=topic=12788.msg168163#msg168163 date=1174804192]
    I'm seeing them this year! It's my first time going to G3 so I'm hyped!! I've watched most of their vids on DVD and they're off the hook.

It's a real shame that Vai isn't there this time around. I love his stuff, and I love his band (Sheehan is especially nice). Maybe next time.

Petrucci is basically why half my buddies are going. Suspended Animation is a slick album, and I love Damage Control and Glasgow Kiss. Did he put on some weight (ala Malmsteen)?
    I don't know too much about Gilbert/Racer X so it'll be a good experience. I hope he's as good as people say.
    Satch is the basically the reason I'm going. I'd kill to see him play Always with me always with you and Satch Boogie!

April 5th, @ Massey Hall. Any other Torontonians coming?
    [/quote]

Yes, petrucci has definitely put on a little heft. And I actually thought paul gilbert was the best out of the 3. he seemed the most "on".

also, satch played both always and satch boogie when we saw him, i'd assume he'd play them at yours too!