G'day from Down Under

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Sean '71, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

G'day everyone from the land of Angus Young & AC/DC...how appropriate to find myself signing up to a forum dedicated to the classic SG...where have you been all my life ETSG???:D

A musician & audio engineer (in no particular order) who loves his old Gibsons & Fenders, Iv'e been playing in a variety of original and cover bands for nearly 30 years now, got sick & tired of dealing with wanna-be rock stars, being on the road 24/7, dealing with con-artists passing themselves off as promoters, a declining live music scene, dodgy pub & club owners who now prefer to pay you in beer than cash to play in their shitty venues, who expect you to invite 100+ facebook friends to your gig (WTF???), living out of a suitcase and eating crappy motel food, just to name a few.

(have I missed anything....?)

So now I enjoy doing it on my own out of my own home studio in beautiful Sydney, Australia, where I can walk in, switch on and do what I love, as I please, without the half-pissed f@ckheads yelling "play (insert song name here....)"

Fortunate enough to play guitar, bass, drums, keys and a little brass...Iv'e ammased a lifetime of gear and experience during the past 30-odd years to be able to do alot now on my own.

The wonders of modern technology allows me to collaborate with other artists on the other side of the globe without having to leave the house...

(who would have thought that 30 years ago...)

The journey from the analog into the digital realm has been an amazing ride so far, from someone trained on consoles and studers, to what can be done ITB now is mindblowing to say the least. From patchbays to plug-ins...it doesn't get any easier than it is now.

And I still play the occasional gig, but now I'm a little older and wiser I get to choose where and who I play with, which like the engineering gig helps keep the lights on and food on the table, and also supports the gear aquisition syndrome...What more could you want...?

And man, I'm enjoying the ride so far :thumb:

2. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

G'day Sean '71 and welcome. Look forward to checking out your gear as you post in the different forums. Enjoy your time here. It's an interesting place to hang out.

3. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome @83 Blazer, I see you are here in Oz too, great stuff.

4. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Welcome Sean.

Pictures or it never happened... :D

Focus on the SG pics, but a few telecaster and sexy amp pics are always welcome too.

5. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome @Bettyboo...

I'm sure I'll be posting a few along the way.

Heres' one for you of two of my telecasters...
    The one on the right is a Fender Custom Shop with birdseye maple neck
    The one on the left is US tele with a custom quilt maple body

And the strats...
    The black one is a US HSS 1995
    The Seafoam Green is US 1985

And the SG is a '71...the white SG pictured with mine is a re-issue that belongs to a guy I jammed with up the north coast

Sorry if they are a little blurry, they were taken with the camera on my phone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Bettyboo likes this.
  6. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Lots of very nice guitars there - superb. :dude:

7. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

welcome and nice gear you got.

8. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome @JohnnyGoo ...great to be here

9. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Welcome Sean, nice story.
    One day I hope to come visit Australia for Vacay

10. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

thanks @chilipeppermaniac , its a great place, just watch the deadly spiders, deadly, snakes & killer sharks...;)

We would make you most welcome down here

11. chilipeppermaniac

Sean, Brisbane has those? That is where my boyhood friend's family moved to in the 70's

12. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Yeah, there pretty much everywhere the snakes and spiders, pretty much the whole of the east & west coast has the big sharks now...

Our politicians here in NSW in their infinite wisdom (firmly insert tongue in cheek here) decided a short while back to open a series of marine parks along the NSW east coast, basically no commercial or recreational fishing allowed...

Well, you know how the food-chain works...more bait fish equals more school fish which equals more predator fish...I don't need to tell you how that ends...

We have seen more shark attacks in the past few years than we have in the decades before...its starting to get a bit like South Africa with the larger great whites. As someone who used to surf in their youth, I will not go in the water now, big sharks have been spotted in Sydney Harbour now and bull sharks like to enter into the estuaries even up to the fresher water.

Why only last week these two white pointers were spotted at Sydneys' famous Bondi beach...

- No, seriously...

Attached Files:

13. chilipeppermaniac

I fully understand all except the snakes and spiders as I am sure you have different species than we do here in the States. How do you keep em outta your house if they are prevalent?

14. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

The thing with the spiders and snakes is to try and keep things clear around your house, although the Sydney Funnel Web spider loves cool, moist and damp little hiding spots...its a good idea to check your shoes in the warmer months if you leave them outside when the males like to come out and look for a mate, when they can be most aggressive. The damn things can live under water too for up to a week, living of the air bubbles that stick to the little hairs on their feet. We also have Redback spiders, I think they are a close relative to the Black Widow, they like the drier spots like under hot tin roofs or the tin garden shed. They deliver a nasty bite that can make you pretty nauseous. They are known to frequent under the toilet seat of the dunny (outhouses) in country areas.

One summer a while back at a mates' place for a BBQ we decided to take a dip in his pool, before we jumped in he thought he'd scoop the odd leaves out of the bottom of the pool, but turns out the leaves were actually 13 funnel webs. Nasty little SOBs'. I don't think my feet touched the bottom that day...but with the anti-venines now its pretty rare to actually die from a bite, unless through anaphylaxis.

In suburbia we do get a few snakes, mostly red or yellow belly black snakes, brown snakes and the odd death adder in the drier months a little further out, but these tend not to like cleared areas too much, prefering more denser scrubby or bushy areas, but you do get them in some spots in suburbia every now and then. A good dog can work wonders as an early warning system. And being in suburbia we don't have to put up with the King Browns that you get further outback...they can grow to 8 to 10 feet long and pack a mean punch.

I think at last count we have 7 or 8 out of the 10 worlds' deadliest snakes here...one record I'd rather not have

Ah Australia, beautiful one day, cyclones, bushfires, floods, snakes, spiders & great whites the next...who'd want to live anywhere else !!!

15. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Geez, Australia sounds like a great place..... Sure glad I don't live th...oh, um, oops :ohno::wow:
    Not sure I want to go outside today now. Could just stay inside and :cheers:

16. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Welcome Sean. It's always nice to have non-US members here (to give a bit of balance :naughty:). You've already benefited from advice and suggestions on your SG but we're always interested in seeing other gear, so post away.

As regards audiences, I know that attitude too well.

In the UK the song that usually gets demanded is either "Johnny B Good" (as if the world needs another crappy version, and as if it's the only song Chuck ever wrote!) or, if it's a girly crowd, "Mustang Sally", just so they can pretend they're up for it by singing the chorus. (Of course they aren't really. :rolleyes:)

18. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Hey @83 Blazer ...don't say anything about those drop bears....;)

83 Blazer likes this.
  19. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome @six and @java...

Mustang Sally...lol......" Ry-ide, Sally Ry-ide...." Thats' definately that gets my eyes rolling

Thanks for all for the info advice on the SG also on the other thread too.

20. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Heres' some other gear shots...

The last pic would have to be the most unusual instrument I own, its an accordion and I'm still trying to date and find out its origin, the buttons are made of ebony and amber, made completely of wood apart from the concertina and has a veneer of red mother of pearl.

It functions but I'm afraid to play it....that and the bagpipes tend to attract the neighbourhood cats when played...especially when getting home at 2am in the morning following a night having a few refreshing ales

Attached Files: