G'day from Down Under

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Sean '71, Feb 3, 2016.

1. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I would have but I didn't want to completely freak everyone out.:rofl::naughty:

Mind you sometimes I just don't understand all the fascination people have with the nasty sharks, spiders and snakes here? I mean stay out of the water, just squash the spiders with your foot and push one of your mates in front of the snakes! Problems solved.

Some of these folks come from places that have bears and small lions for crying out loud.

Sean '71 likes this.
  2. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Yeah I know what you mean, but I suppose it doesn't help with folks like me perpetrating the myths...

My brother-in-law was born in Sth Arfrica, he often shares a story where he had to walk home in the early hours one morning through Kruger National Park, only days before a game keeper was taken by lions and dragged away.

3. 83 Blazer

That's some pretty heavy duty s*%t getting attacked by a lion though being swooped by a magpie in spring can be pretty intense too!

4. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It's the same here in Boston (the Rebel Colonies). As for Mustang Sally, I think that I'll commit a mass murder if I ever have to play "They Call Me The Breeze" ever again. Same... same...

I'm a big fan of many Aussie bands including Radio Birdman, The Saints, Hoodoo Gurus, The New Christs, The Church, and Cosmic Psychos.

5. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Personally I am more worried about the city planners and other council real estate tycoons and general scumbags legislating live music out of existence than the snakes, spiders, sharks, crocodiles, etc

First it was the poker machines, then it was the baby boomer empty nesters who want to live the 'hip city life' but expect to everyone to go to bed with a cup of cocoa at 10pm and not keep them up with their noisy music venues, and then they decided that it wasn't safe for their children and grandchildren any more and legislated fun out of existence with lock-outs etc ... Australia, and especially Sydney, is becoming a gigantic joke in the international music scene at the moment for all the restrictions.

Add to that the bottom-feeder promoters and I don't blame you for getting out of the music business!

83 Blazer likes this.
  6. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome @SG John , there some good Aussie bands there, I love the Saints, Radio Birdman, Hoodoos', also a huge fan of the church...

Did you know that the Saints were doing the punk thing before anyone else ?

I'm also a big fan of the Divinyls and The Angels...with Chrissie Amplett & Doc Neeson being two of the best who ever fronted Aussie rock bands.

Sadly, we lost them both in two years, Chrissy in 2012 and Doc in 2014.

I saw them heaps many a time...at Selinas' in 1988 one night (a licensed venue where I'd snuck in at 16 with false ID mind you) I was right up front centre stage in the crowd when Chrissy saw me, came right up, grabbed me by the hair then lifted her skirt and shoved my face into her crotch...

I was hooked and a fan for life...Welcome To Rock & Roll :D

heres' a taste...

Big fan of Birdman...Book 'em Danno...Murder One.....

Did you know Deniz Tek from Birdman was the character Iceman in Top Gun was based on ?

- He was a navigator in an F-4 Phantom and later F-18s' and a naval surgeon. His callsign actually was Iceman.

When he studied medicine in Australia at the University Of NSW he was playing in Radio Birdman, and IMO is one of the best yet most underated guitarists in the world.

Here Deniz talks about Punk Rock, Top Gun and Emergency Medicine in this podcast

http://intensivecarenetwork.com/punk-rock-top-gun-resus-room/

83 Blazer likes this.
  7. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Absolutley agree....

Welcome To NSW...

The Nanny State

Dave_Death likes this.
  8. 83 Blazer

I hear you Dave_Death.
    There once was a live music room here in a suburban pub that would regularly see over 1000 punters a night come to witness all sorts of rock music local, interstate and international acts.
    Then some safari suited f/wit got approval to build a retirement village next to it!!!
    Didn't take long for the pub to get its marching orders for the live music venue. But at least one of the last acts to play that room was Motörhead!
    I'm sure that if the residents still had hearing that their ears would still be ringing nearly 30 years later!

Dave_Death likes this.
  9. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

The Annandale Hotel used to be a great live music venue here in Sydney...until some suit got on the local council and lobbied to have live music restricted...he got his way in the end.

Thanks latte-sipping blue-cheese eating cashed-up double-income-no-kids buying all the inner-city property set...

Same with the Sandringham Hotel in Newtown, you couldn't count the number of local acts and international touring acts that have played there over the years...they got into financial trouble, sold out to a Melbourne group before the banks moved in who decided to rebrand it as a"Social Club" cum wine bar and now it sucks...Newtown has by population more musos there than anywhere else with nowhere to play.

One of the longest residencies there were Tice & Evans, - Dave Tice (from the 70s' hard rock band Buffalo) and Mark Evans (former bass guitarist from AC/DC) who played there every Saturday for 6 and a half years before the changes.

And people wonder why music is like it is today...theres' nowhere for up and coming bands to cut their chops anymore, or established acts to play.

Sydneys' live music scene peaked by the mid eighties, once the poker machines hit the pubs it was all a slow decline downhill from there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Dave_Death likes this.
  10. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

They should have just got the old folks to take out their hearing aids or at least turn them down....:D

- Problem solved !

83 Blazer likes this.
  11. Dave_Death

We saw the same thing happen in Adelaide. First the pokies in the early '90s, then the movement of the wealthy into the city next to our venues, and then the University of South Australia taking over the west end of Hindley St and trying to make it into a gigantic university precinct with no riff raff to scare the anxious rich dads from overseas checking it out for a place to send their little Lord Fauntleroy ... We've had so many venues close ... and then when we open the DIY punk venues they are constantly trying to use by-laws and regulations to close us or the landlord sees people going there and decides that area has suddenly been 'revived' and kicks us out in the vain hope of getting more rent ... I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the venues I've seen close in the last quarter century.

Sean '71 likes this.
  12. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

two of my favorites from Radio Birdman...

Gotta love the white SG in action too...pure unadulterated raw Birdman

SG John likes this.
  13. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Chrissie passed away. I just read up on it. A real shame. I loved the Devinyls.

The last time that Radio Birdman were in Boston, I got to hang out with Denis Tek and Roger Miller from Mission of Burma. Come to find out, they both knew each other as kids in Ann Arbor.

This is one of my favorites. And, there's more White SG action in this video.

Sean '71 likes this.
  14. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

It definitely has a knock-on effect...theres' a rehearsal space that we used weekly at one point, sometimes twice weekly...you had to book in advance as the 4 rehearsal rooms would be booked out every night in 3 hour blocks from 3 pm until midnight.
    Bands would file in one after another until midnight every night. Some nights we wouldn't get out of there until 1 or 2 am when we were kicked out.

It was booked all day and all night on weekends. Now its a ghost town, never open and the last time I saw the owner he was running live sound on one of the clubs in Sydneys' west for touring acts playing to the blue-rinse set. I was chasing him to hire out one of the rooms recently to track some live drums and ended up giving up.

If no-one is playing live, then no-ones' really hiring rehearsal spaces. It used to be rule of thumb to rehearse between gigs and work on your chops so when you did play live everyone locked in together. At one stage we rehearsed every week for near on 20 years...it was a given, no matter how good you were it was a no-brainer. Practice your craft, that whole 10,000 hours theory. When you hit the stage there were no excuses and no mistakes.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Dave_Death likes this.
  15. Dave_Death

It's probably a bit different here in Adelaide. Rehearsal rooms are doing well, but no-one expects to make money from playing any more. Mind you they aren't necessarily full. I can book on the day sometimes or just one day ahead and we get the room all evening. The guys who own them all have day jobs

16. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

Thats' the sad part...there was a time not long ago when live music brought in the crowds to venues like pubs. Every Friday and Saturday night there were bands playing in every second pub, and every venue dedicated to live music. The pub owners new that if a band was advertised, no matter who they were, people would come out to see them. If it was a band with a following it would be a packed house. This would usually be the busiest periods of trade for the pubs and bands could be paid handsomely. If you had a day job, you could just about double your income from playing two nights a week. If you were a full time muso you could make really good money playing the pub scene and support a pretty comfortable lifestyle playing four shows a week. If you were a band that had a following, even a modest one, you could ask more and get it too.
    In the 90s' we used to charge a grand for a three hour show + our drinks tab free...that equated to less than half an hours takings to an average pub on a Friday or Saturday night...thats chicken feed for most venues, but 250 cash in the hand for 3 hours work doing what you loved wasn't bad.
    You could even pay a sound guy and you still came out in front.

Then the gaming legislation changed and the poker machines came in...now there was a regular stream of income coming into the pubs from gamblers and the pub owners didn't need a band to bring in the crowds on a Friday and Saturday night...if they weren't buying drinks they were stuffing their hard-earned crisp notes into the pokies. Pub owners basically became instant millionares overnight. Prior to that, you couldn't give a pub away, they would sell for 100 - 200 grand. Who needs bands now to bring in the punters, right ?
    - That area where the stage is, we can cram 25 poker machines in there...

Then as you hinted on earlier Dave, the double-income-no-kids professionals started snapping up inner city terraces and properties close to the city around the same time, and areas like Newtown, Annandale and Balmain just to name a few, that were tough as nails blue-collar working class areas suddenly started to become gentrified...Property prices suddenly started to skyrocket.
    Then those NIMBY'S (Not In My Back Yard) who had moved into these newly gentrified areas started to complain about the noise from long established venues. Noise restrictions and noise curfews were put in place. This further reduced the venues that were still catering to the live music scene and bands were competing to play to an ever dwindling audience. Eventually, iconic venues like the Hopetoun in Surry Hills shut their doors altogether.

The live music scene went from its peak in the 80s' to near extinction by the end of the millenium.

It got to the point where those suburban pubs that still reluctantly had bands on one night a week would expect you to come and play for next to nothing, so long as you had a facebook page with at least 100 followers and could "invite" them to your gigs. It wasn't enough that they expected you to bring a crowd into their venue to spend money there, they expected you to play for beer and promote their venue for free at the same time.
    I remember walking out on one venue owner who told us that he wouldn't pay for a band to play in his pub for anything more.
    And then there were the so-called "promoters"...who amounted to nothing more than the white-shoe brigade of sharks who were moonlighting from their day jobs as used-car salesmen.

Yeah, I could write a book on it...the sad decline of live music in Sydney.

In the end, we all suffer, because the music suffers, no live music venues means theres' no A & R guys out on the hustings signing up and coming acts...and we all have to be spoon-fed the likes of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus on radio...the world really has gone mad.

17. Dave_Death

In the metal and punk scenes we never received any money, so I guess we don't miss it ... I remember even in 'the good old days' bands would be lucky to get a round of beers and a party size pizza between them ... this is why many guys who were in those bands back in the early '90s are so fast at eating pizza, because they had to be to get their share! These days you're lucky to get the round of beers. Only time I've made money from a show was when I put it on myself, the venue made money off the bar and we charged $8 a punter to get in, which I split four ways between the bands so each band got $80 at the end of the night. I didn't keep any money for myself, just my band's share which went into the band kitty. Another time a promoter gave us $50 and a round of drinks. At the Metro and Enigma we usually got a round of drinks ... at the DIY punk venues we generally donated our services

18. Sean '71

Sean '71 Active Member

There was money to be made playing bike(r) shows too...we made quite a few bucks out of that and also picked up quite a few, lets just say "private" gigs at some pretty notorious places, but they always looked after us, made us feel welcome and safe, paid us up front before we even got our gear on stage, supplied our drinks and anything else that tickled your fancy. Nobody ever dared go near your gear at those shows.
    One gig still to this day reminds me of that scene in the Blues Brothers, where they play behind the chicken wire...
    - thank god we didn't have to play Stand By Your Man.....

There was a guy that I used to do his sound and lighting for his cover band for a while, he found a niche playing corporate gigs...they mostly were in the middle of the day, or a work function like Christmas parties on a harbour cruise or something, and they paid really well.

They were charging something like 2 grand a gig. I nearly fell over when he told me, but he was self-managed and his band was like a precession of different musos and singers over a few years. I'd go in and I'd mic everything up, I'd set all the levels, then it was just a few fader rides for lead breaks and the like...250 cash-in-hand for my couple of hours work-thank-you-very-much !
    One harbour cruise gig we did we took a lighting rig and smoke machine, the smoke machine failed to turn off half way through the gig and filled the boat up with smoke...it looked like it was on fire and sure enough the water police turned up in a hurry...and the band played on without missing a beat like true professionals.

It was like every second month they were auditioning someone new, who contributed something new to the band by way of new material, the bands' musical style was forever changing, they were full on with costume changes and all...and I remember a conga-line of singers over a short period of time that they went through, all female, that he would end up in the sack with after a while and when it all turned sour he would audition a new one.

I think even that declined after a while, the corporate gigs he used to do dried up around the same time as the GFC.

19. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

The people are even more dangerous than the snakes and spiders! :D

On the upside; many of the women have great breasts...:io:

SG John likes this.
  20. 83 Blazer

Sitting here right now in the beer garden waiting to go into a Soilwork gig I'd have to agree with you...on both counts :rofl:

Bettyboo likes this.