Gibson Flying V - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by chillidoggy, Nov 14, 2007.

1. 62SG

62SG Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=15590.msg199776#msg199776 date=1195607932]
    Here is a pic of the V before the new pups were installed.

[​IMG]\

[/quote]

You lucky, lucky bastard.

Unless this is your daughter, in that case... well, I suppose some punter will be lucky anyway! ;D

2. 62SG

62SG Member

[quote author=chasbo link=topic=15590.msg199716#msg199716 date=1195575716]
    I owned a really nice late 70's V that I was head over heels about. I was forced to sell it for money reasons and to this day it's my biggest regret. They are not hard to play seated and just scream through a good amp. I am still searching for another V to replace the one that got away!

chuck
    [/quote]

I've been in that situation myself with the '67 V. I've literally scrounged food for a month rather then sell it. Of course some thought it wal silly of me, but I'm sure many here would understand.

3. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

62SG,

Not my daughter....
    This is the pic from the ebay ad. I never met the little skank holding the V...
    The dude sold it to me with a busted truss rod. I was able to dremel down and got some threads exposed and saved it tho.
    The frets were filed down to nothing and had big divots in them too. The dude was a total wanker and I wish him great pain in his life for ripping me off. He did not disclose the problems in the ad. He also did not reply to my emails after I received it. eBait didn't do a thing about it as he "shipped a guitar" and not a brick.
    It plays awesome now but only because I refretted it and set it up properly.

4. 62SG

62SG Member

Holy christ, what a bad eScam experience, Spunky. Those are the kinds of situations you cross your fingers that never happen when buying a used instrument online, but sadly (and obviously) do sometimes.

I've always wondered why some girls go for idiots. Bad boys I can understand - heck, as soon as I grew my hair long and started playing guitar in a band in high school there were girls chatting me up who wouldn't have looked at me previously. But the outright morons I just can't understand, because they're usually bad at hiding their idiocy right from the start. I guess this is similar to guys going for genuinely blockheaded women, but then when you're young those can be fun for a short while! ;D

5. Satch0922

Satch0922 Member

V's are fun guitars but just like my Jackson RR's....they should not be your daily driver....just your Sunday afternoon sports car.

6. dcooper

dcooper Member

they are great guitars easy to play fast necks, I would not be without one, and you can pick up one pretty cheap these days
    [img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/dwcooper/IMG_0337.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

what is that black V?

8. 62SG

62SG Member

9. 62SG

62SG Member

[quote author=Satch0922 link=topic=15590.msg199960#msg199960 date=1195735728]
    V's are fun guitars but just like my Jackson RR's....they should not be your daily driver....just your Sunday afternoon sports car.
    [/quote]

Hey now, I beg to differ. My Rhoads RR5 is the axe I go for most, even over a 1967 V! The neck nearly plays itself.

10. chasbo

chasbo Member

This thread got me so stoked about my old 79 that I sold. I just bought an 80 in ebony from a guy in Louisianna and should have it by Friday. I will post pics and thoughts when I get it...For now, here is a pic he sent me to ttide you guys over...

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/chasbo99/6376.jpg[/img]

A 1980 completly un-modded and in great condition. It should be a screamer!

11. 62SG

62SG Member

Sweet, chasbo. I love the Vees! :rockin:

12. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

My Rhodes #00039 is the one I go to when I feel the need for a V .... [img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/voxman/Guitars/Rhodes.jpg[/img]

13. axmaker

axmaker Member

i like mine....
    [​IMG]

14. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

is that a Melody Maker V? certainly interesting.

15. chasbo

chasbo Member

No pics yet, but I just got my "new" 80 V today. I am blown away. I had forgotten how much fun these are to play. I am nailing every Schenker riff I know and just have a big grin! Those pickups just slay! Awesome awesome playability....More in depth write up later....

16. dcooper

dcooper Member

[quote author=everdying link=topic=15590.msg201872#msg201872 date=1197595843]
    what is that black V?
    [/quote]
    sorry, been out of town for awhile. It is a dillion touring edition,I got it from john dillion it's a great guitar fast neck. he told me its an alder body with a maple neck, great paint job.

I haven't even changed the pickups, which is pretty odd for me, real light guitar, I still like the older white V better.

17. Suplex

Suplex New Member

I've been playing fenders for years and the V made me change my mind. It does seem however to be a bit flimsy. I have broken the input socket, the pots, the scratch plate and a couple of tuning heads without too much trouble.

Here it is held together with gaffer before it was too broken to play.
    [​IMG]

For now I have had to go back to my Vox and Jag until it is fixed. The V sounded great so I'm looking into an SG now and hoping it is more robust.

18. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I really love the sound of this one. The Boomerang pickups have their own voice, and Kill through a VOX. Especially the bridge pickup.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m122/SGJohn/IMG_0862.jpg[/img]

This one is pretty cool too. I need to find a pickguard that fits properly so that I can play it without fear of wearing of Rudi's signature.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m122/SGJohn/IMG_0865.jpg[/img]

I saw this one on the Gear Page, and would really like to make a clone of it. It looks like an SG/V with the Cherry finish and black pickguard. He's got Lollar P-90s in it. It must sound awesome. I've been keeping an eye out for a project faded V to make a copy.
    [​IMG]

19. smk506

smk506 Member

Sg John, that top V is the ****! Very cool! I also think a p90'ed v would be cool.

And suplex.... What'ed you do with the broken V?

20. Suplex

Suplex New Member

My broken V is just sitting broken at home at the moment. I intend to fix it because it is currently my favorite guitar. I have a gig this weekend so thought I would just pick up one of my others but they all seem broken in their own special way.

Fender Telecaster Deluxe - Faulty neck
    Jaguar - broken bridge
    Firebird (copy of some sort) - bad electrics/broken switches
    Vox Phantom 7 special - bad electrics (and there are enough of them)

I'm hoping a mustang bridge I ordered from the US will get here before Saturday and the Jag will be OK.
    I know a guy in Crystal Palace that I guess will be getting a fair bit of business over the next few weeks.