Gibson in Canada.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stark Naked, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

In the late 60's I was working in Montreal Canada and had an opportunity to buy a 1956 Les Paul with the head stock broken completely off. It had also been painted white with a paint brush but I got it for $10.
    I wanted to get it repaired properly and asked a music store what to do. They said, send it to Turner Music. Which was in Ontario some where near Toronto or maybe Kitchener. I was told they did distribution and repairs for Gibson in Canada. When the guitar came back it was perfect. The neck was completely replaced. New fret board perfect gloss black paint job. I was delighted. The total bill was $300. Recently I tried to get in touch with Turner Music for a Canadian friend and it was as if they never existed. No Wikipedia, nothing. Anyone know what happened to them? Appreciate any information.

2. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Gibson in Canada is distributed by Yorkville Sound (Long and McQuade). It has been for many years. I have never heard of Turner Music.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

A small business that existed 50 years ago can't be found ? Outrageous :facepalm:

pancake81 likes this.
  4. Stark Naked

Thank you for your gracious and timely response. I'm sure I must be somehow in error.

Von Trapp likes this.
  5. DrBGood

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, but it's kind of a reality check.

There might be some dark web tools to find those long long long ago gone people or businesses or events or whatever. I wouldn't think it's for the uninitiated and not readily available from my keyboard. Good luck in your search.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I visited the tobacco store Sørensen Tobakk in Bergen, Norway, a while ago. Been there since 1905, so yeah, just sayin....

7. DrBGood

Tobacco store is historically closer to a chuch building than a music store :rofl:

8. Von Trapp

Albeit not as important...

DrBGood likes this.
  9. Stark Naked

The work that was done on that disasterous Les Paul was flawless and at the least up to factory standards. If Turner Music doesn't exist any more or only ever existed in my mind, it's still a loss to old Gibson restorers.

10. DrBGood

I don't deny they did exist and did a great job. I'm sure there are still good luthiers around that can do as good a job, probably not for the same amount though :)

Does your friend have a Les Paul that needs to be restored ?

11. fernieite

fernieite Member

Hey man. If you're not already a member, why not join the Guitars Canada Forum? There's lots of us old farts on the forum that might recollect that shop.
    https://guitarscanada.com/index.php

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  12. Stark Naked

I'm delighted to see how many Canadians are on this chat room.
    Thank you for the invitation. I'll check it out.
    My Canadian friend, who is in Trenton and I just got in a conversation about Turner and we're curious.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    fernieite likes this.
  13. Stark Naked

Here's what I've pieced together so far.
    Turner Musical Instruments, was a subsidiary of Gibson and Chicago Musical Instruments. Rick Turner, co-founder of Alembic guitars, worked there in some capacity. They were only in existence for two or three years in the early 70's. I haven't been able to get their old address but I think they were in Scarborough, Ont. The only other thing I can add is "So What"? Or Maybe, "Who cares"?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    fernieite and DrBGood like this.
  14. DrBGood

:rofl:

15. Stark Naked

One "probably" last observation I'd like to interject. A guitar with a broken neck is not something you fix with tape and glue. If the neck is broken, cracked or split. Just replace it. The instrument will regain any lost value it might have had and no longer be a pariah should you put it on the market. I realize this opens another can of worms and controversy but so be it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  16. DrBGood

I'd replace a broken neck on a Strat or Tele, but on a glued neck ? Who does that for a mere broken headstock ?

17. Stark Naked

Anyone who needs a reliable, playable performance guitar with some resale value. Of course if your just gonna squat in your basement and serenade the roaches, get out your tape and glue.

18. Von Trapp

Well, if the headstock is broken clean with not to much splintering there's no reason why one wouldn't just repair it. If done properly the guitar will not suffer in the least other than cosmetically perhaps if you don't care to do a new paint job on it. Yes, the resale value is of course decreased so if one is thinking of selling it one day then that's of course a bit of a bother. It would be interesting to know what repaired headstock will take off the resale price and compare that to what one would get for the guitar if one replaced the whole neck. Perhaps the latter is so expensive that one wouldn't recoup the loss anyway.

But yeah, a guitar with a broken neck is actually something you fix with glue, if possible.

19. Stark Naked

I've seen a few home made head stock and neck joint repairs. If I'm guitar shopping I don't even consider them. I don't think a professional luthier would in good conscience attempt such a fix. I've had necks replaced on two guitars, it comes out great.

20. DrBGood

WHAT ? About half the used Gibson you can find on eBay, have had their headstock reglued in some way.

OK OK ... I'm exagerating, but headstock repair is by far the most common repair on a Gibson.

Try Googleling this: most common repair on a Gibson
    I would NEVER go for a home made neck replacement.