Gibson in financial trouble

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Ceeps, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ceeps

Ceeps New Member

2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I really hope they don't go under. I quite like their products, and isn't our forum based around their lines of Guitars?

I do hope Henry sells the company though. It would be better without Henry.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I've got plenty of USA Gibsons, so nu!. BTW, this is the same shtus meshuggeneh have been spreading for the last decade or so re: Gibson and/or Guitar Center. Both still in business, nu??
    A leben ahf dir!:smile:

4. kiko

kiko Active Member

Same here, I hope they don't go under or somebody buys the company and turn it around.

5. Biddlin

It would be sawdust without Henry. He and his partner put up the cash to keep the doors open and have produced many thousands of quality instruments since. Since it is a privately owned company, most of the BS you read in guitar forums has the authority of the large intestine behind it. If by some remarkable stroke of fate, Gibson guitars were up for sale, who do you think the most likely buyers would be? (Hint: They don't live in the western hemisphere!)
    Forgetting your age for a moment, I almost added a rather profoundly mature metaphor, but suffice it to say, this balderdash is the stuff that only clutters the brain's limited storage.

6. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Henry bashing seems popular but is it based on anything other than jealousy or fake internet tough guys?

The company is pretty highly leveraged but money is cheap right now. I suspect this article has more to do with departed employees and negotiating the next traunch of bond rates.

Now if rates go up being leveraged 10X over EBIDTA will actually be a big problem.

My old boss used to always say: "Get a loan now that you don't need it other wise when you do no one will give it to you."

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Biddlin

I have pointed out on this page and elsewhere that since it's Henry's company, he gets to call the plays. On top of that, lets assume that Relic61 and I pool our pensions and talk Henry into selling the company to us, we don't know spit about making and selling guitars. We can talk till we're wheezing blood about it, but the fact is, we'd be bankrupt in 31 days, much less 31 years.
    This is key! The Gibson guitar division has ALWAYS made money. The "Lifestyle" expansion is sucking away some of that cash, but who knows if that will improve or decline?
    I don't have any financial interest in Gibson Corp. and I'm betting none of you do either. That being the case, this is all kibitzing, idle speculation, intellectual Onanism.

DCCable likes this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

love it! Kibitzing, Idle speculation and intellectuall onanism...
    Internet fora ARRH! us... I think every internet forum I've visited
    has been like that. This one seems a little less so.

Oh Onan... baby are you coming to bed?
    Summer-Glau-6.jpg