Gibson introduces new Faded Standard '61 SG

PermissionToLand

Reaction score

sZnMzquFNgf9w6ULewG7km-1200-80.jpg.webp

It seems to only be available with the Maestro and the retail price is $2,199 (the glossy version goes for $2,399).

Mitchey75

Reaction score
Back in 2013 I had a '61 Reissue "Satin" (with a 'baked maple' fingerboard). These were priced at $2,299 USD on the website at the time.

Eventually they were dumped cheaply and prices as lower than 800 USD were found at retailers. The problem with this finish is that it's very delicate and depending on use, will get shiny again on its own anyway.

But good job again from the advertising team! No thanks!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
They could have put covers on the pickups.
The ‘05 LP Faded had zebra pickups so I guess no covers is a Faded thing.

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
I'm curious about these 60s Burstbucker pickups and how they compare to the 61R/T and old Burstbucker Pros...

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Currently about 18 for sale on Reverb.
None showing up in “sold”.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of the faded finish...

but not for $2200.

My 2007 SG faded special is my favorite guitar of all...
it's the best guitar of any kind that I have ever played.
There it is. My faded special cost me about $600 in 2008
which seems right.

Yes, the faded finish is softer and more susceptible to dents and gouges
than a Gibson Deep Gloss (which is one of the things some people pay
more than $2000 for). On the faded finish, dents and gouges don't look
out of place. This is true.

And on a guitar intended to look like a well loved vintage instrument
the faded finish actually nails it. Check this out:
Luna and Rosebud@100.jpg
Here's my '07 Gibson SG faded special next to my 1936 Martin 017... separated in time by ~70 years...
both mahogany, both unpampered, and you can see the reason for Gibson to create this finish.

If this is what you like, buy it.
And then care for it like you would a treasured vintage instrument.
If you prefer a hard shiny glossy guitar, Gibson and all other makers offer something to attempt
to please you. There are plenty of glossy guitars out there for sale.

But the price listed is too much IMHO. We should all watch and see. If the consensus among
guitarists is that this faded Standard won't hunt... Gibson will mark them down. That's when
the wise arses among us will pounce.

But not me. I already own my dream guitar. As shown above. I sold the Martin and got good money
for her, but could not bear to part with my SG special.

jtees4

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with faded guitars, I've owned a few. Some were great . BUT they are cheaper for a reason, because they are cheaper to make, so I only bought them when cheap back in the day...and going back a few years you get them used very cheap. I don't really see the point of a faded standard, and I would not spend that kind of money for one.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I like it. I dig how quickly they wear, and it gives you the chance to get the features of a Standard for a more reasonable price. Usually it's a bit more of a discount than this, though.

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
I like it. I dig how quickly they wear, and it gives you the chance to get the features of a Standard for a more reasonable price. Usually it's a bit more of a discount than this, though.
I agree, they should probably be $200-$300 less, but I’m sure they’re nice guitars.

MR D

Reaction score
$2200 for an 'SG' Faded ? IDC if its a Standard or what....thats a NUTSO price ! I bought an 2016 'SG' Special Faded T @ GC's 'Moron-A-Thon' for...... $543....$543 back on Memorial Day 2016........and that li'l axe was a Cannon......wish I hadn't sold it....and have wanted a Faded ever since......BUT THIS ONE AIN'T IT ! Not for North of $2G's it sure ain't !

The 2019 'SG' ORIGINAL I got for $1999 had '57's in it and I bought it as it was the only 'SG' GIBSON USA released in 2019 that had '57' Classic's in it...But at the time I thought that the guitar was a bit steeply priced (of course I cant post a picture), BUT the guitar is BEAUTIFUL W/Chrome Maestro Lyre and Chrome Hardware, put some 'Revolution' TM's on her....I put a '61R in the neck position recently and that '57 & '61R Combo in the Middle Toggle position is BRUTAL , it sure is !!! so if the '60 BB-ers in this 'FADED' are actually the '61's and a player likes the 'FADED' finish....GO FOR IT......UH....NOT ! Price tag is too ridiculous for now ! and I can rationalize just about anything ! BUT $2200 for an 'SG' Faded ? Bindings and In-Lays are JUST not that expensive............

MR D

Reaction score
I like the satin finlsh but I prefer a nice Gloss finish.

View attachment 49359
WOW, PAP......Now there's a BEAUTY !!! I have been waiting for a STANDARD in that colour (Natural Brown !) and its been a long wait so far ! The only 'Natural' Brown finish 'SG' last year was the 'Tribute' model IIRC.......BUT I want a STANDARD w/Angel-Wing Pick-Guard just like the one in this picture ! Hard Shell case is a must too , but I can after market that ! the last 'SG' STANDARD in anywhere near that color, IIRC, was the Autumn-Fade colour in 2018 (?) but I ain't completely up on every model SG out there....what year is that BAD-A$$$ 'SG' STANDARD ?

skelt101

Reaction score
WOW, PAP......Now there's a BEAUTY !!! I have been waiting for a STANDARD in that colour (Natural Brown !) and its been a long wait so far ! The only 'Natural' Brown finish 'SG' last year was the 'Tribute' model IIRC.......BUT I want a STANDARD w/Angel-Wing Pick-Guard just like the one in this picture ! Hard Shell case is a must too , but I can after market that ! the last 'SG' STANDARD in anywhere near that color, IIRC, was the Autumn-Fade colour in 2018 (?) but I ain't completely up on every model SG out there....what year is that BAD-A$$$ 'SG' STANDARD ?
I hope @papagayo doesn't mind if I respond. It is one of the "dreaded" 2015 models in Translucent Ebony. Check it here:
http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/SG-Standard.aspx
I put dreaded because that was the year that Gibson forced all of their modern specs on the buying public. (Instead of splitting the lines into Traditional and Modern like they do now...) Needless to say, most of these changes were not well received, and that model year was a total flop. I personally think some had merit, the G-Force tuners notwithstanding. And this color is downright gorgeous! :cool:

papagayo

Reaction score
I hope @papagayo doesn't mind if I respond. It is one of the "dreaded" 2015 models in Translucent Ebony. Check it here:
I put dreaded because that was the year that Gibson forced all of their modern specs on the buying public. (Instead of splitting the lines into Traditional and Modern like they do now...) Needless to say, most of these changes were not well received, and that model year was a total flop. I personally think some had merit, the G-Force tuners notwithstanding. And this color is downright gorgeous! :cool:

Nobody wanted this 2015 model because : Les Paul anniversary signature on the headstock, Heavy GForce auto tuners and asymetric slim taper neck profile.
This SG Standard was listed US$1879.

SG Standard TBK 2.jpg

This SG Std have very good points : Hand wired pickups and hand wired controls with possibility to switch to single coil, the fingerboard inlays are made of real mother of pearl, not plastic (awesome colors), the fingerboard is smoother sanded, buffed and oiled; the adjustable nut is perfect to obtain a low action; the asymetric slim taper is fantastic, very comfortable (for me) , the finish is perfect on mpne,

the gforce tuners are very heavy but work perfectly , i removed the GForce and I Installed a set of KLUSON Revolution tuners, they are light, knobs are very smooth, PERFECT for a Gibson SG,
With time the brass nut wears out prematurely , I choosed a GraphTech TUSQXL adjstable nut.

Here are the 2 points that need your attention, the tuners and the nut.

I paid the SG new 890 €uros ..... a cool price . The rectangular case is large so I' ve found a Custom Shop one on a forum.

I made other upgrades only for the style : Gibson ABR-1 conversion (better sustain and more vibrations), wide bevel pickguard, M-69 pickup rings, etc .
Now you know everything about this incredible SG, enjoy !

SG Standard TBK 230.jpg

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
2013, 2014 and 2015 SG Standard are more '61 RI SGs, great years with the SGs Original.
I like this dark cherry ,

Temp 48124.JPG

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Yeah Skelt, ur Right...like the wider Fret-Board (1- 13/16") on the SG Special was one of those flops, I sold the one I had....AND ALSO the Adjustable NUT, that I actually thought was a brilliant idea...a turn of 2 Allen keys instead of filing slots, its brilliant (with a built-in Radius).......and GIBSON USA discontinued it, FFS !!!....They should bring back that finish, it is flipping beautiful ! 2014 had the MIN E-TUNE Fiasco and 2015 had G-FARCE, STAY AWAY !!!!
The Ghost of Henry J.......

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
2013, 2014 and 2015 SG Standard are more '61 RI SGs, great years with the SGs Original.
I like this dark cherry ,

View attachment 49376
OH YES SIR, THATS THE ONE !!! I got the 2019 Version, the colour ain't as nice as the Translucent Ebony (was that it?) one above, but its BAD-A$$ None-The-Less 'AGED CHERRY' looks black sometimes !! IDK what pickup's the 2013-14 SG 'Originals' had but I bought mine coz for 2019 it was the only USA Line SG that had '57's from the factory....NICE ! That reminds me, I gotta give that one a good beating !

Latest posts