Gibson Jeff Tweedy SG Transformation

skelt101

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I just wanted to share some new photos of my Jeff Tweedy SG. While the creme colored trim was interesting, I think I prefer the classic look of black. So, I decided to replace some hardware:
1. Truss Rod Cover is a Gibson Historic '61 with Les Paul script
2. Humbucker Mounting Rings are DiMarzio
3. Pickup Selector Ring is a Black Gibson
4. Pickguard and Neck Tenon Cover are courtesy of Pickguardian
I'm very happy with the results! Here are the pics of the transformation:

638BDA5B.jpg

C8F55542.jpg

4294510C.jpg

Tah-lee

Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Black really made the difference on an already awesome guitar...now it's even better. Well played, my good man...

minotaur

Reaction score
Looks nice, real nice. I'm not crazy about how the pickguards that come on those are single ply. How's it play for you? Was it good to go outta the box or did it need a setup?

saxosim

Reaction score
Looks great, good job its amazing how changing the colour of the trim has transformed it.:)

Was the pickguard an exact replacement so all the holes in the body lined up properly without modification and was the one you got the one he mentions for an SG standard (lower half)? He seems to have a nice range for all SG models.

minotaur

Reaction score
Was the pickguard an exact replacement so all the holes in the body lined up properly without modification and was the one you got the one he mentions for an SG standard (lower half)? He seems to have a nice range for all SG models.

If necessary, you can send the Pickguardian any pickguard, and he will duplicate it as requested. That's what I had to do for my '69 Custom SG. I'll bet the pickguard for this dandy is standard issue, though.

skelt101

Reaction score
That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Black really made the difference on an already awesome guitar...now it's even better. Well played, my good man...
Thank you, sir!

Looks nice, real nice. I'm not crazy about how the pickguards that come on those are single ply. How's it play for you? Was it good to go outta the box or did it need a setup?
If felt the same way about the single ply- a little cheap looking for an SG Standard. The Tweedy is awsome to play! The neck is a slim taper, but not too shallow. As long as you don't treat the vibrola like a Floyd Rose, tuning is not an issue. The setup was actually really good when I received the guitar. However, it may have been adjusted by The Music Zoo where I purchased it from...

Looks great, good job its amazing how changing the colour of the trim has transformed it.:)

Thanks saxosim! The pickguard is the model you mentioned and an exact replacement. Tony at Pickguardian does like you to send in your original pickguard so everything lines up. However, a tracing may also work... I believe the examples on the web site are more for reference to show what is possible.

Meh cream was better IMHO..
To each his own. I didn't dislike the cream hardware, just thought it looked a little plain (being single ply). But if I change my mind, I can always put the old hardware back on with no issue. Actually, I was quite satisfied with the look in the middle picture- almost an SG Custom appearance. Then the black pickguard showed up...

skeeterbuck

Reaction score
It reminds me of the Elliot Easton Signature model. Sweet! :cheers:

Latest posts