GIbson Melody Maker SG or Epiphone SG G-400

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ravana, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yes, the OP got the right guitar, as long as it hasn't been stolen or fatally flawed. We like to see pictures of guitars in question, just because.

2. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Good luck I have a faded too and love it, remember to post some pictures when you get it please we love pictures :)

Welcome aboard the forum too :)

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

hey nebuddy, haven't seen many posts from you lately... good to see ya around man!

to OP, don't forget to post up pics of your faded when you get it in. Also let us know how she plays and just out of my curiosity, tell us if it has the baseball fat neck, thin 60s neck or maybe something in between.

4. ravana

ravana New Member

Sorry to disappoint but ended up going with the melody maker. The faded SG had some problems that I knew would drive me mad.

I'm fine with the melody maker, even with its lack of tone options and less quality wood. I'm at such an early stage of learning guitar that I don't feel as if I deserve or need anything better. And in addition, all the more reason to get better so that in 2 years or so I can strive for: Gibson SG61 Satin Finish Electric Guitar Satin Ebony | Musician's Friend

I can dream, right? :-)

Anywho, amp came in today - Wednesday for the guitar!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

That's cool, you really can't go wrong with any of these models.
    Just curious: what were those problems with faded that drive people mad?

PS Damn this thread. now I'm gassin' for a MM, I had a dream about one yesterday... :mad:

6. oldrockfan

no need to feel bad about that mm. I think you are going to be happy with it. The mm gibsons play suprisingly well and will be a great first guitar for you. Be sure to post up pics when you get it and rock on!

7. Col Mustard

Yeah, I love my faded but the MM seems like a great option, stop dreaming and start playing, but with a good guitar. No flies on a Melody Maker. I say, good choice.

@Tom... people have a love/hate thing with fadeds. they inspire devotion and also disdain, to me it's just very personal and subjective. Some people like the SG-GT, covered in shiny chrome (which would drive me bat-sh*t, not to mention the audience getting all the reflections in their eyes). some people bought the Zoot-Suit SGs although they seem to be keeping a low profile around here. I personally wouldn't rib someone too much about their Zooter. Watch those rise in collector value in fifty years. I won't be here to see it *sob...

but yeah, Ravana... do tell. what was it about the faded that put you off? sanded off serial number? badly glued headstock break? chinese writing on the bottoms of the pickups? wasp nest in the control cavity? mouse turds in the gig bag? or what?

8. ravana

ravana New Member

Haha, something minor compared to what you listed - The pots were sticky and overall condition of the guitar wasn't too great. The seller also just buys and sells guitars so I was a bit put off by the fact he didn't know the history of the guitar.

9. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

The SG MM is an awesome guitar, nothing to be disappointed about. I love all SG's...Standard, 60's Tribute, and MM. I actually play my MM SG the most. Right now I'm playing the MM the most.

[​IMG]

10. ravana

ravana New Member

It's perfect :-) Everything feels great and for my newbie-self it's all I need. (ignore foot in pickguard and shitty quality)

Though one thing: When I got it the tape around the pickup was so badly put on that I thought it was something I remove. Upon removing and revealing copper wire I quickly put on some electrical tape.

My question is: Are taped up pickups supposed to be not-pretty? I wrapped it fairly nicely around but it still seems odd. I wish I paid attention to pickups on other guitars in my past but from looking around they are generally submerged in a cavity on most guitars whereas on the MM they're fairly exposed so maybe that's why I'm noticing the tape so much?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. theNARDdog9

theNARDdog9 Member

In regards to the crappy tape job: that sucks that yours came out a little sloppy, they should not look like that. A quick solution would be to get some pickup covers. They look great on SGs, and I'm sure the SG MM is no exception. Down the line, you may want to invest in a better pup (try a 57 classic/classic +, or maybe a burstbucker pro), but for now a cover is probably good enough :thumb:

Also, for some reason the pics wont work for me :( but I'm sure it looks nice :dude:

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Well, as long as you don't need that neck pickup sound, it's a great simple no BS tone machine.

OK, I've never really liked single bridge pickup guitars, but I definitely get the charm - and I was a Mountian fan, so all you guys, remember who was a big part of getting these "beginner" Gibsons center stage. Leslie West!

13. ravana

ravana New Member

Hmm a cover isn't too expensive either. Now how much do I trust my soldering skills.

Anyone have experience with installing a cover? Should I go for it or probably take it to a repair shop. If the latter any estimate on how much they generally charge?

14. oldrockfan

installing a cover on a pickup is not that hard but you do not want to overdo things. If you heat it up too much you can mess up the pickup. If you have a decent soldering gun it only takea a few seconds to tack it in place with solder and you will love the way a cover dresses up the guitar. Wish I could see the pics but they didn't work for me either.

15. theNARDdog9

theNARDdog9 Member

Covers should cost about 35 bucks and getting them installed cost me less than 30 as well...definitely not too expensive and they look great!

16. Col Mustard

Gibson uses what's called "Pickup Coil tape" to wrap around their humbuckers. here's a link if you want to get some. it's better than the electrical tape, and should never need to be replaced unless someone pulls it off to see what's under there.

STEWMAC.COM : Pickup Coil Tape

I bought an SG faded special, and I remember that one of the pickups was wrapped perfectly and the other looked sloppy, which bugged me more than it should have. So I ended up buying a roll of this tape. Once I had the tape, I searched this site until I found an old thread on changing the magnet in the pickup from Alnico II to Alnico V. I ended up changing the magnet (which wasn't very hard) and then re wrapping the tape and liking the pickup much more. There might be a supplier in Britain or Europe which can send you some if you desire. It's cheaper than putting on a cover. And it's not difficult.

But if you decide to mount a cover, I think the trick is to clamp the sides of the cover close to the bottom plate of the pickup, and then put a drop of solder on each side to hold it there. That way the cover is grounded and acts as a shield. The coiled wires inside the pickup are very delicate, hence the tape to protect them. So minimal heat and quick work is also the trick. I've been thinking I'd like black covers on my SG... Allparts sells them. Totally non-essential, but sexy in appearance.

I might just pay a professional to do this job, because my usual ham-fisted repair methods could wreck more than they 'improve.' When I work on something as substantial as a car, I usually go to fix one thing and break something else. So those tiny little fragile wires inside an expensive pickup give me the shudder-willies. Good luck...

17. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

The thing with the MM is that if you tweak it up a bit and go over it nicely, frets and such, get a decent guard and dress it up a little bit, it is basically as good as any other Gibson SG sans the neck pickup. Unless I am playing a strat I never use the other pickups personally.

Hello Music had black Epi g400 for $249 last week and some may still be around.

18. theNARDdog9

theNARDdog9 Member

I dunno about that..Don't get me wrong. They're GREAT guitars and I LOVE mine, but I doubt that it will ever sound quite as good or the same as any other SG. These new melody makers are maple bodies, whereas the Standard ans Special SGs are made of mahogany and other woods. Tonally, they'll never sound the same. Sure these MM's can sound amazing, but it will NEVER sound quite the same. :dude:

19. ravana

ravana New Member

The camera on my phone does it no justice but here you go:
    [​IMG]

Took it to a local guitar repair shop to get it set-up (had some fretbuzz) and the pickup cover installed (cover included) - all for $55. The owner also gave me some great ideas for the Melody Maker - get a new pickup installed, intonating wraparound bridge, and new tuners.

Though in all honesty I think I'll just save up over the next few years and once I get to the point where I think I deserve better, grab an SG Standard :-)

Kevy Nova likes this.
  20. theNARDdog9

theNARDdog9 Member

Nice one. Looks awesome now!