Gibson mini humbuckers vs. equivalent full size

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Buffalo SG Dude, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Buffalo SG Dude

Buffalo SG Dude New Member

I picked up a 2020 Epiphone Standard. Plays great. While the pickups sound great too, I really love the mini humbuckers in my 2018 Gibson SG Special. Anyone know what full size humbucker might give me that tone and definition of those mini pups in a full size?

Both my 2018 Gibson and this new 2020 Epiphone are wired 50s style with Bourns PDA241 500k pots, k40y-9 Russian paper in oil caps (.022uf bridge and .033uf neck). (I obviously yanked the pcb from the 2018 Gibson).

Barring the tonal differences from just being different guitars, I'm hoping to more closely capture those Gibson mini humbuckers in a full size for the Epiphone.

PS: I don't care what anyone says about recent Gibson years or the 2018 Special ...that guitar is the best guitar and best SG I've ever played (once I replace the electronics). Not sure if I just got a special Special or what but wow it it sweeeeet!

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Man that is a toughie. Most folks want a more full sized hb tone out of their minis.

Low to mid output and bright?? .

Maybe a full sized hb that’s going for a filtertron vibe???

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

If sticking with Gibson humbuckers the closest would be 57’s.

outside the Gibson realm, MAYBE a Dimarzio bluesbucker.

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

T-Tops set with the bass side low are low output and bright.

Bob

5. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Pardon me for asking, but why not just stick with the SG Special, what was the appeal to get an Epi Standard? I own a natural finish '18 SG Special as well and neither do my other two SG's sound like it and I'm glad cuz as much as I love my SG Special its more of a perfect live playing guitar than studio recording, its rather loud and bassy. On level 8 it sounds like level 10 on my other SG's and EAD strings rattle my walls lol

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I think trying to make one guitar sound like another one is an exercise in frustration.
    The mini hums have a unique tone and no full size hum bucker will sound like one, IMHO.
    Plus, the Epiphone humbuckers have their own unique tone, which is worthwhile and
    very useful. There are zillions of them in use by musicians of many stripes, worldwide.

My suggestion is to use each guitar for what it can do, rather than trying to get it to
    do what it can't.

I own both, as you do. And I love each one for its unique tone. And use each one to
    play the song that needs that tone. If both of my SGs sounded similar, I'd likely sell one.
    But mine are not for sale. I'm glad to have both the full-size roar of my SG special with '57s
    and the unique snarl and shriek of my SG special with minis.