Gibson raised prices in the US on most products starting yesterday

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by semka, Oct 2, 2021.

1. semka

semka Member

SG Standard is now $1699, SG '61 Standard starts at $1999, etc.
    New models, like Tony Iommi Signature are still at the same prices.

Big stores have already adjusted prices.

2. Carrion

Carrion Active Member

yep .. Long and McQuade in Canada has kicked all Gibsons up $300

3. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Well, inflation
    I can still buy Tribute model in walnut finish for 888€ in Slovakia from the music store

Standard in black finish is for 1329€ and Standard 61 is for 1599€
    They probably have not noticed here

I regret passing on the Faded for 599 when it was at this price....

Bbr6704 likes this.
  4. MR D

MR D Active Member

I was going to post this news last night! IDK N E ONE who gets a 10% raise @ a job working for someone else.....So, FSS, a 10% hike for what ?

Planning on getting a Flying V, having never even played one. But have yet to even see one in a store since the Pan/Scam-Demic started...a 'V' from an on-line retailer w/Financing @ 0% for 48 months.($35/Month+/-)...BUT NOW? Since Dude mentioned GIBSON USA dot com has no sales TAX (that will surely end soon) and Free shipping....I'll deal direct w/GIBSON and at least not get burnt for the 7-9% TAX and shipping fee's on top of the 10% Price Hike.

5. MR D

MR D Active Member

H.S., I think thats even worse than in the States where ittsa $200 Price Hike on a few different models: V's, SG's, few others, if I saw that clearly (Big IF).

IDK if I would have pulled the trigger on the 'Exclusive' '19 SG Standard Maestro w/'57's from American Music supply in September 2019 that I got...... IDK.......Two years ago I thought Two Grand ALL-IN for that Guitar was a bit , no, really steep.

But that same guitar now, @ $2199, plus TAX and Shipping=$2350 ? U kno, I just dont think so...get a used one for about half that? IDK....but $$$ printer go BBBRRRRR......

Carrion likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

SGBreadfan likes this.
  7. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member

I couldn't afford them at the old prices. Everything's about the same to me.

8. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yes, those FADED's were a bargain...I got one in '16, @ GC, for $543 ALL-IN, no one wanted it. Seriously though?... it was a POS, had the deadest acoustic/non-plugged-in sound (Tied actually) I have ever heard on a GIBSON solid body electric. BUT, I do miss it ! Not having to care about it if it got scratched/dented/stolen gave it a place in the stable. That's what made it a good choice for showing up with it at the 'Dew-Drop Inn' type establishments of the world.......that along w/my helmet.

9. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

An '05 LP Studio with case and a beat up decal added is listed here for 1400.00 today. Many ads only take 20 % off the original price. Not sure why, when just a few years ago the reduction might be 40 %

10. Tia

Tia New Member

Ugh. I thought the point of the SG is that it was an affordable workhorse! :shock:

NMA likes this.
  11. TChalms

TChalms Member

Definitely inflation. It's simple economics folks.

The US gov't printed trillions of unbacked dollars in 2020 to help us get thru Covid19. The result is inflation. The cost of production and the cost of fuel for trucking will continue to rise.

And now they want to print more money and give away "free" stuff - which isn't really free because it will cause more inflation. It's no surprise. It's completely predictable.

This message is not political, it's basic simple economics.

angus'luvchild and RW59 like this.
  12. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

It was the boogeyman and now he’s coming back for more.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The problem is that economics aren't just "basic and simple". There is also a global supply chain disruption at the same time as increased demand. More demand and less supply means prices go up. There are also lots of other random factors at play, like for example shipping containers sent to third world countries with vaccines and other medical supplies becoming effectively stranded, as those countries do not export enough to merit sending the containers back, and nobody else wants to pay to ship them back. One piece of important context is that inflation was generally weaker than the Federal Reserve’s target over the decade prior to the pandemic.

If the inflation we're seeing were caused by a broad policy as you suggest, it would not discriminate by sector. And yet, it does. The current inflation is largely driven by the energy sector. Food and other goods have largely held steady.

Your message is in fact very political in how you choose to lay blame for rising costs of goods which can in fact be hard to draw causation from. It's very disingenuous to suggest you're simply offering an unbiased assessment of the facts, and ironically that much more of a craven political move because of your attempt to hide its partisan nature and slip it through as "common sense". The policies you describe in such an obvious partisan manner as "giving away free stuff" are peanuts compared to what we spend on the military year over year. Anyone who was serious about cutting spending or inflation would not waste their time arguing over change in the couch cushions. This is what truly belies your partisan intentions.

Von Trapp, jclasby9599, NMA and 8 others like this.
  14. No Talent

No Talent Member

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here, or on any other websites so far is that the price for the SG Junior is still the same at $1399.

Decadent Dan likes this.
  15. No Talent

No Talent Member

Double post

16. No Talent

No Talent Member

Triple Post!!

17. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

I doubt that most sellers have inflation on their mind when setting their price for a used guitar. Some put fairness and decency into play, some don't. Buyer beware.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  18. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Not really. When it was developed by Gibson, the point of the SG was to redesign the Les Paul due to falling sales of the traditional Les Paul design. The earlier Les Paul design (which is what we all know today as the Les Paul) was losing ground to the Stratocaster which was gaining in popularity. Gibson developed the completely redesigned Les Paul (the SG design) to boost sales. The strategy worked. Les Paul, himself, didn’t like it, but the SG became very popular.

PermissionToLand, Tia and SGBreadfan like this.
  19. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

I noticed they don’t advertise the higher retail prices anymore.
    Maybe they just dropped the “discount” price.
    It’s all marketing but just an observation.
    They used to make you feel like you were saving money by buying from the high volume dealers. Now it’s all the same and you can buy direct from Gibson.
    Some dealers will accept lower offers though.

20. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Typically retailers get items at 60% of retail list price, plus shipping.

So make your offer somewhere in the cost + 10 to 20 % range.

If an item was $1000 list, you might offer $700 to $800 plus shipping and tax.

$825 plus tax would be reasonable. They'd still be making 200 bucks on the deal.