Gibson SG 2017 Standard T - Pelham Blue Lacquer issues

OldDog

Reaction score
Thats a great looking guitar. The finish on the head stock looks satin in that photo compared to the thickly layered version on mine.

For either JackStraw or me, the finish is gloss. Just that it doesn't show up in a head-on shot.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you should just assume that your guitar was exposed to extremes of temperature and/or
humidity during the time between when it left Gibson's factory and when it arrived at your front door.

What I'm saying is that it isn't anyone's fault, except maybe the shipping guys.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your guitar, because of your own statements that
I quoted above. Since I've spent a lifetime playing used guitars, some of them fairly elderly,
I'm used to seeing lacquer that's checked like that. To me, it's one of the characteristics of
lacquer.

I think you should look at the checking as honest... and value the guitar according to what it
can do for your music, and not what it looks like. May you play it with gusto.

SG-H

Reaction score
i
Yeah, I think you should just assume that your guitar was exposed to extremes of temperature and/or
humidity during the time between when it left Gibson's factory and when it arrived at your front door.

What I'm saying is that it isn't anyone's fault, except maybe the shipping guys.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your guitar, because of your own statements that
I quoted above. Since I've spent a lifetime playing used guitars, some of them fairly elderly,
I'm used to seeing lacquer that's checked like that. To me, it's one of the characteristics of
lacquer.

I think you should look at the checking as honest... and value the guitar according to what it
can do for your music, and not what it looks like. May you play it with gusto.

I shall indeed and I'll update this thread as the finish ages.

Zman28

Reaction score
Hi all!

April 2020 was the date I purchased my second hand Pelham blue 2017 SG standard T and what a colour it is!

The guitar came originally with a PCB board but the previous owner had a 6 way switch (all possible tapping combinations) installed with long stem (I know) CTS Pots. I have since put the correct sized 500k pots in the guitar and installed a 3 way switch so I get neck, bridge and out of phase. The guitar, after some fettling, plays and sounds really really good. It’s very light and twangy compared to my 04 SG. The 57 classics are a great contrast to the 490/498 in the 04. Overall I’m very pleased with it!

There is, however, a big negative with this guitar, the finish. When I took delivery of the guitar the finish was immaculate. The previous owner and never taken the guitar out of his house and it had only very light use. Since I’ve owned the guitar, The finish has cracked. It’s worth noting at this point, that as we are in lockdown this guitar hasn’t left my house. It’s also worth noting that I’ve owned several nitrocellulose guitars, including the 04 SG and an early 90s Les Paul custom, which have NO lacquer issues at all.

After fitting a poker chip and vintage scratch plate to the guitar I noticed cracks appearing in the lacquer. I immediately assumed I’d overtightened all the screws and cause myself a world of pain. But on closer inspection, there are cracks all over the body of the guitar including on the head stock. As far as I can tell the cracks are only in the lacquer and are not structural in anyway. I emailed Gibson and sent them some photos and they advised me that this was normal and the guitar was possibly subject to extreme temperature changes. As previously mentioned, I don’t really believe this as I have two other nitrocellulose guitars in the same room under the same conditions! My 04 SG has been owned from new and done countless gigs and house moves and has no issues at all.

On closer inspection of the guitar there are blemishes in the paint where it looks like the paint has run before the lacquer has been applied. Has anyone else had these issues? I think this was Friday afternoon guitar...

I'd upload photos if I understood how?
This is a common problem. The part about temperature extremes is just bull. If you read the Gibson warranty they have a list of things they don't cover.
Number 10 states . Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason"
This covers their ass.
I have a 2006 les Paul Classic Gold Top. I purchased it New and after a year or so I noticed checking lines coming from any point where a screw enters the finish. I called Gibson and explained the the guitar never left my house after buying it from the dealer. So it was not extreme temperatures that caused this. They pointed out number 10 on the warranty limitations. So tuff!. I called the dealer and he said he has the same guitar with the same issues. And I should be happy. Many guys highly value checking on their guitars as a sign of character.
So I really think Gibson doesn't care about their finish being prone to this.
So be aware when you buy. I really don't notice it any more and when you compare the tone to non nitro cellulose guitars , there is NO difference.
I also bought a fireburst Studio new and it had a "Sticky" finish that never cured . I will say it is dissapointing when you pay that much and the finish has issues that Gibson doesnt care about. I will say that my 2008 Sg Standard, and my 1995 Les Paul, and my 1990 ES335 all had no isues.

paulisme

Reaction score
I just acquired a used 2017 SG in Pelham Blue and am pretty sure I cracked the lacquer yesterday while I was swapping out the knobs. I don’t really care as it’s just the first in what will surely be more cracks over the years (and the faster mine turns green, the better :). If the OP is still around, I’d love to see the original photos (they seem to no longer be available).

jota

Reaction score
I have an early 2020 SG Special in Sparkling Burgundy and everytime I check the paint I see a new crack!
First was the back and sides of the headstock just a few months after I bought it, then I noticed some on the front of the body and now I have the top of the body and the neck joint full of cracks.
The only thing that bothers me is that they're all in the same direction!

SG-H

Reaction score
I just acquired a used 2017 SG in Pelham Blue and am pretty sure I cracked the lacquer yesterday while I was swapping out the knobs. I don’t really care as it’s just the first in what will surely be more cracks over the years (and the faster mine turns green, the better :). If the OP is still around, I’d love to see the original photos (they seem to no longer be available).

You’re right, the photos have disappeared! I’ll get some more uploaded shortly

Latest posts