Gibson SG 3 knobs 1981

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gibsg, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I need advice about this SG. There is one for sale, the guy played only at home, flightcase is included seller wants US$610. What do you thinhk about this deal and about this SG? It have an ebony fretboard, everything is original

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

sure about the year? I thought those started around 86. Depending on the year it may have the Tim Shaw circut board pickups. Not sure the body is mahogany on those either. I think these were originaly supposed to be Epiphones but were branded Gibson instead. Pretty decent SG my friend has one and it kicks butt.

3. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

600 isn't bad...I'd offer 500 if I really wanted it. 400 if I was gonna flip it.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

At the bottom of the specs, it says mfd: 1983-1988.

5. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I will ask him the serial number

6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I have one in Black from 1987. It has an effortless fretboard and is my first SG. Mine has Bill Lawrence pups not the 59 LP Reissue.

7. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I received my SG, this is a very good guitar, I like the neck, no binding but very cool may be because the fretboard is ebony.

The guitar was build during 1991. It' s in very good shape the frets are in good condition .

The flightcase is very nice for a 23 years okd. but I need to find the code I did it one time but I don' t remember...

I will change the stopbar, this is not Gibson and the gold go away, it is not tanished. May be I will put a TP-6. Of course the SG will be cleaned.

This SG is awesone [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

That's a good looking guitar. Seems like a good buy to me.

9. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Nice, I dig it !!!

10. chilipeppermaniac

GibSg nice score for respectable price. Cases might run ya $125-150+ so the guitar was only say 450-475, That's a good deal in my book any day for such a cool guitar.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Ebony fretboards fvcking rock!!![​IMG]

12. chilipeppermaniac

nbeers,,,,,,,, did Tim Shaw ALSO make circuit board P'ups?
    Mine are the Bill Lawrence The Original Circuit Board ones asa Shown here except mine are without the shiny covers.

Gibson "The Original" HB-R & HB-L 1988 Humbucker Set

and here is a ETSG thread about the Shaws vs Lawrence as well.

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/pickups/18038-how-identify-gibson-tim-shaw-humbucking-pickups.html

13. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I found the post I did to find the actual good code to reset it:

For those who have lost the code, it happened to me, here is the manipulation to make
    It should already find a metal piece very fine, less thick that a reglet eg a sheet of paper alu pliee and tapering or cutting piece in a can or aluminum with a very fine needle.
    Drag the fine and sharp piece Free between the wheel and the small cover on the right of the wheel. Turn the thumbwheel and you should feel a hollow in front of the figure which is good. repeat the manipulation for each of the three wheels, we have the right code. Then to do a reset, pull the small latch completely right (opposite ll opening) and while holding the right shot, adjust the new code, pui lacher latch.
    Or, to locate the hungry with good lighting, it's doable. You have to be patient ..

Sorry, I made the translation using Google

14. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

That's pretty nice specimen. The white looks really good and unyellowed (something I'm not a huge fan of)

15. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

PS : I took off knobs, trussrod bell, screws, straplocks etc... to clean them.The SG looks much better . I need 8 gold screws for pickup rings, not €piphone but I don' t find with imperial system. Do you have a linK? ThX

Have a look to the stopbar, it' s strange

[​IMG]

16. BlackSG91

I have read this several times over and I don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about here...WTF?:dunno: Can you fill us in more...I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.;)

17. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

Stop bar looks normal, I think its the type pf nub on the strings sticking out the back that makes it look odd.

18. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I guess it is part of this (from the Gibson-site FAQ) :)

"
    The combination lock on my case won’t open, how can I open it without damaging or removing the lock?
    If the combination was somehow changed, try shining a flashlight into the spaces where the thumbwheels turn. As you rotate the wheel, you'll see a small notch once it gets to the correct number. Line up all three thumbwheels in this way, and it should open.
    You can also use a thin strip of metal if you have trouble using the flashlight method. Using a thin strip of metal – (we suggest one cut carefully from an aluminum can) - to insert into the space beside each thumbwheel - hold pressure on the metal strip as you rotate the wheel - you'll feel the notch as you rotate - stop when you feel the notch and move on to the next wheel until you have all three set.
    The long way around this is to start at "000" and work through the 1,000 combinations - it can take a few hours, but it does work!
    If the lock is seems stuck or is actually damaged, we do recommend having a locksmith open/repair the damaged lock.
    Below are listed the instructions for resetting the lock combination:
    The locks are set at the factory to open at 0-0-0.
    To set your own combination;
    1) Choose 3 digits which you can recall easily-address, phone, birthday, etc.
    2) Press the button in a direction toward the dial with your thumb and hold with your other hand (Use point of ballpoint pen) rotate the dials to the desired setting. Then, release the button.
    3) Your lock is now set to open on the three digits engaged at the time you release the button.
    CAUTION!
    4) Accordingly- NEVER rotate the dials with the button held open UNLESS you make careful note of the dial setting upon release of the button.
    5) The manufacturer is not responsible for damage resulting from misuse, abusive handling, or failure to follow instructions.
    Remove the red arrow before setting the lock.
    * Please note: Make sure to cut down the red plastic pin before operation."

BlackSG91 likes this.
  19. BlackSG91

Ok...now that makes much more sense!:thumb: I thought he was talking about some combo thing on the guitar and so I was totally lost.:wave:

20. BlackSG91

Fender Bullet strings.;)