Gibson SG headstock Logo and Crown alignment

Huntroll

Reaction score
Apparently Gibson needs to add a "Cattywampus" check box to each product release card.

Or maybe "Not Cattywampus" would be more appropriate.

Huntroll

Reaction score
Its hard for me to believe that's a real Gibson "final checkout" station shown in that picture.

Get a load of the neck support cushioning apparatus.

A couple of pieces of loose, cheezy packing material.

Thousands of dollars of product go across this setup daily, don't you think Gibson would build something more cushioned and protective.

It looks to me like every other guitar would be nicked, scraped, gouged, dented, you name it.

I guess its possible that's what they want to happen.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Its hard for me to believe that's a real Gibson "final checkout" station shown in that picture.

Get a load of the neck support cushioning apparatus.

A couple of pieces of loose, cheezy packing material.

Thousands of dollars of product go across this setup daily, don't you think Gibson would build something more cushioned and protective.

It looks to me like every other guitar would be nicked, scraped, gouged, dented, you name it.

I guess its possible that's what they want to happen.
19 Standard and 21 Junior “baby pics”…

76607EDB-32F6-4519-838F-1E277D0FB351.jpeg

B62FBEB5-4C52-49E1-9674-612F3018940A.jpeg

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
There’s always going to be process errors when products are mass produced regardless of industry.

MR D

Reaction score
2019 was the transition year. Early 19 was different from late 19. So, there were both that year.
I believe you are correct on that one D.D..but IDK 4 sure...I have an SG 'Original' from 2019 and am going to look right now...BRB....
OK, so.....
My 2019 SG 'Original' has the 1st 2 serial # digits as 19, so its impossible to date to a specific day of the year. I put it back already and don't remember if it had a low production run #.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I believe you are correct on that one D.D..but IDK 4 sure...I have an SG 'Original' from 2019 and am going to look right now...BRB....
OK, so.....
My 2019 SG 'Original' has the 1st 2 serial # digits as 19, so its impossible to date to a specific day of the year. I put it back already and don't remember if it had a low production run #.
Check out the inspection card, if you have one. That date will be a few weeks after the neck was stamped.
Remember they had a bankruptcy the year prior and made some changes. Going back to the older serial sequence was one.
One consequence of that change, intended or not, is mess with the counterfeit makers.

MR D

Reaction score
Check out the inspection card, if you have one. That date will be a few weeks after the neck was stamped.
Remember they had a bankruptcy the year prior and made some changes. Going back to the older serial sequence was one.
One consequence of that change, intended or not, is mess with the counterfeit makers.
HOLY $#!T D.D. that is a great idea ! I am pretty sure I have the Card along with the "Baby Picture", gonna take a look right now as that particular guitar is right next to Me at the moment......BRB........ OH YES, sure enough.....card sez 08-24-2018 and the serial# is low 13000, so it was fairly early in the 2019 production year run....YOU FRIKKIN ROCK D.D. HOLY SHIZZLE !!!!

Londonbus

Reaction score
The alignment of the logo/crown in the OP is horrific.

Then again, Gibson still does that crap, even on some of their "nicer" models. Here are some photos from Sweetwater's current inventory of SG Standard '61 Maestro models. Both brand new, 2022 models. Even their inlays float around all over the damn place on their headstocks.

"Gibson is BACK!"

You can say that again. :rolleyes:

hs.jpg

pancake81

Reaction score

Then again, Gibson still does that crap, even on some of their "nicer" models. Here are some photos from Sweetwater's current inventory of SG Standard '61 Maestro models. Both brand new, 2022 models. Even their inlays float around all over the damn place on their headstocks.

"Gibson is BACK!"

View attachment 49344

Interesting that one has the standard location and the other the 61 location (higher up). Are you sure one isn’t a custom shop?

Mitchey75

Reaction score

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Interesting that one has the standard location and the other the 61 location (higher up). Are you sure one isn’t a custom shop?
The tuners with the hex bolt bushings indicate both guitars are regular production models. Reissues have the vintage style press fit bushings.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score

"Gibson is BACK!"

View attachment 49344
Interesting that one is centered between the nut and the top of the headstock and the other between the top of the truss rod cover and the top of the headstock. I wonder if it just comes down to an individual Gibson worker's taste when doing the inlays?

MR D

Reaction score
The tuners with the hex bolt bushings indicate both guitars are regular production models. Reissues have the vintage style press fit bushings.
RIGHT AGAIN C.B., HOLY SHIZZLE !

QUESTION: ?

Have you ever bought a new guitar w/EBONY FRET-BOARD where the fretboard seemed to have a thin 'SKIN' type FILM on the top of the board? I have seen/OWNED Rosewood Fretrboards that a while after buying them had the 'WHITE' oily substance come out of it, u kno? BUT this Ebony FretBoard that is on a new FLYING 'V' '70's Tribute had what seemed to be like a coarse Black skin on it and as I was putting a light coat of Linseed oil on it the 1st time I set the Guitar up....the substance started to come off the Fretboard....I thought IT WAS WEIRD (and that I might be fuckin up the fretboard, LOL !!!) as I had never seen anything like it, but I gotta tell ya that in a few places where the 'Film/Substance' came off it revealed a really beautiful Dark 'Striping' underneath it. The Board was really Dark Black and coarse as I'd never felt before when I got the guitar new from the GIBSION Nashville factory DIRECT !! and after the 'Film/Substance' came came off of the board it was/is really smooth and beautiful with the 'Stripping' effect only in one or two places and is visible only in the right light/angle.......otherwise the Ebony is a nice rich dark almost completely BLACK colour..Just how I like an Ebony fretBoard to look, u kno ?...AND.....the Guitar itself is an OMG......A FRIKKIN MONSTER !!! FOR SHIZZLE, it really is an impressive BEAST !

Londonbus

Reaction score
Yeah... Same model and year. I have been in the process of finding a '61 Standard Maestro and have been looking at them all summer and noticing this. Based off of my findings, the crown seemed to move way up on the headstock around serial number range 22072XXX and then seemingly dropped back down around serial number range 22192XXX. I saw this on both the 61 Maestro Standards and the stop bar 61 Standards. Keep in mind this observation is based off of photos of guitars online for sale... A relatively small sample size and a pretty broad serial number range. And then, in the middle of that range I saw one example of it being located back down lower where they have been since their reintroduction in 2019. So who knows.

My friend bought one of the stop bar variations (within that noted serial number range) and the crown was ridiculously high. Like higher placement than most 61RI models have typically been in the past, damn near centered between the D and G tuners. He returned the guitar (not for that reason) and I never did get a photo of it, but it was absurd. Being as how (I assume here) that headstock overlay of the logo and the crown is made up at once and then applied as one whole piece, I was kind of looking at it and thinking "How does that even happen?".

I understand that when you have the element of 'hands-on" in a manufacturing process, there will be a great degree of variations. Depending on your perspective, those variations will either be "part of the charm" or "sloppy workmanship". And you don't hear anybody ever complain that an original 1957 Stratocaster had "Neck profiles all over the place... What a bunch of hacks!". Still, with all of the marketing blabber about this "renewed focus to quality" and "Gibson is back" and all of their other marketing and talking points in the last couple of years, You'd think they would have details like that kinda ironed out. Especially when you are talking about such an iconic visual representation of Gibson's brand as the headstock with the Crown inlay. I mean, in the guitar world this is the visual equivalent of McDonald's Golden Arches.

FWIW, I did end up buying a 61 Standard Maestro this past week Crown is located down low and SLIGHTLY off center... Whatever. I was more annoyed that after all of this marketing hype about bringing quality and attention to detail back, I still unboxed a guitar shipped directly to me that was literally unplayable. Bridge pickup jacked at a weird high angle so the high E and B strings were resting on it, a piss poor nut, including how the stain and finish are finished off around it, and a white scuff from something on the corner of the body that I literally (and fortunately could) had to buff out myself. Having worked in a very high profile Gibson dealer for over a decade, I know what to expect from them. And I know (and you should too) that pulling a brand new Gibson from the box is going to require a full setup... Period. So nothing there greatly surprised me, and after my once over with the setup and little details the guitar is fundamentally a kick ass instrument. But I also have a full shop of luthier tools and have done this professionally in a shop for 20 years. The average person out there would have received an unplayable guitar he either would have half-ass tried to dial in himself, dropped $130 for a pro to do it, or he would have sent it back. And that to me, after all of the hype that has been spewed over the past 3 years, is just not right.

Sorry for the long winded rant. I DO love this SG. But as somebody who has unboxed, inspected the fine details, and set up more brand new Gibson's than 99% of anybody out there... Nothing has changed. Nothing. And honestly, is probably as bad as I've seen at any point since 2003.

I hope this didn't deviate too far from the original posters observation. But his observation regarding the silkscreen coincided with some observations that I had been noticing STILL on the new models.

Londonbus

Reaction score

No, last week Sweetwater had four Standard '61s with Maestros for sale... two with the crown low, two with them placed much higher.

I just looked at those new satin/faded finished Maestro SGs that came out on Sweetwater's site. Sure enough, one of them has the crown placed higher up.

sg 4.jpg

Latest posts