Gibson SG Junior 2019

SG_Manic

Reaction score
Dear all,

This is my first post so thanks for letting me join the gang!

I am looking to buy a SG Junior 2019. I am completely obsessed.

I am a regular over at mylespaul.com. I play a 2013 R8. It is a glorious guitar. But I'm looking for something stripped back that is a bit lighter, a bit rockier, and a bit dirtier.

Please share your experiences with 2019 SG Juniors here. And more importantly please share photos!!!

macdog

Reaction score
Mine's a 2011 with the knobs in the "wrong" place. I think you'll find that a Junior is a Junior so you have a pretty wide choice. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised that your new Junior is every bit the guitar your R8 is, in its own way, of course.

fishlog

Reaction score
I love the looks of the Jr... But I just can't get away from not having a neck pup. Thus I have a special. Unbelievable how yes it holds its own against a LP.

Joncaster

Reaction score
In a perfect world, the normal SG Jr would have the same pickguard as the Custom Shop.
But then there's the neck profile and finish to consider (i like the idea of gloss vintage cherry over the patina dark cherry of the CS)
If the slim taper is anything like my '19 Standard, it'll be a lovely, lovely neck. Same for the finish.
I want to try one so badly.

Grizzlyman

Reaction score
I also have the 2011 Junior ‘60s’ model with the knobs in a straight line, not following an arc.
I love it. I love single pickup guitars, just all business!!!
I’m sure a 2019 Junior would be just as good!

SG_Manic

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies. I see now that there is an updated 2020 model with the lightening tailpiece rather than a standard wraparound. GASing hard.

tolm

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies. I see now that there is an updated 2020 model with the lightening tailpiece rather than a standard wraparound. GASing hard.

Isn’t it the new “Original Collection” versions that have the solid wraparound whereas the older models have the lightning bar? Personally I hate the lightening bar bridges and would much rather have a solid one-piece bridge.

gball

Reaction score
Isn’t it the new “Original Collection” versions that have the solid wraparound whereas the older models have the lightning bar? Personally I hate the lightening bar bridges and would much rather have a solid one-piece bridge.

I really don't like the lightning bar on the one guitar that I have that it came on - it shouldn't be but the setup is fussy. Thinking of switching it out for the regular wraparound style.

football27

Reaction score
jonnyfez I like that SG Special. That's a great guitar. I had a 2019 SG JR and I couldn't get into it. Traded up for the SG Special.

jonnyfez

Reaction score
jonnyfez I like that SG Special. That's a great guitar. I had a 2019 SG JR and I couldn't get into it. Traded up for the SG Special.
Like with all guitars, it's hit and miss. I bought a new Jr and hated it - mostly because the nut was cut so poorly. The high E would slip off the edge. Sent it back. Found this one used and it's amazing. Solid tuning stability, comfy neck with some chunk, lightweight (5.4 lbs!) It's a keeper.

Latest posts