Gibson SG Junior control cavity dimensions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lorenzodemeio, Jul 21, 2018.

1. lorenzodemeio

lorenzodemeio New Member

Hi everyone,
    I apologise if this thread has been already posted, I can't find it...I'm building a SG junior copy and I need the size of the vack cavity for the routing, so I can find a back cover on the market without making it myself. Does anyone have a blueprint or something?

Thanks

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I’m not a fan of fakes and don’t think it’s wise to be asking for blueprints of proprietary designs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. lorenzodemeio

lorenzodemeio New Member

Maybe I didn't express myself properly...I have a neck from an epiphone G-310 and I would like to rebuild the body similar to an SG junior. I'm not trying to make a fake. Call it an SG inspired instrument or whatever, like many do in this forum, It's for myself...and by the way I'm just asking for some sizes.
    If you don't want to help, just don't reply.

Thanks

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Being rude to one of our revered member is definitely the route to take.

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Early Gibson SG Juniors had a smaller control cavity compared to later ones and Epiphone SG Juniors will have a different size cavity.

One option is to find a stock control cavity cover plate online of the one that you want to model the cavity after, purchase the cover plate and use that as a template. You would obviously need to make the cavity smaller than the outer perimeter of the cover plate in order to create the countersink step for the plate to sit in.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018