Gibson SG Naked

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Is this model a 70' s Tribute ?

View attachment 39784

The guitar in the picture above has some of the characteristics of the '70s tribute: It's got the oversize headstock, and the block inlays. But the one above MAYBE has had its mini hum buckers removed and replaced by P-90s. This is what
it looked like stock: mine's a 2012 April 17 top@100.jpg

It's not tricky at all to do this. The P-90 and the mini hum bucker fit in the same routing, plus Gibson supplies
the steel plate at the bottom of the routing that has screw holes for either P-90 or Mini hum.

So the pickups are interchangeable. The one illustrated by Papa doesn't look like it ever had a pick guard. AND it's got 24 frets. The SilverBurst '70s tribute above
has 22 frets, and uses a Tenon Cover.

So what is the guitar posted by Papa...
My '70s tribute has no pineapple inlay. Papa's guitar
says "special" on the TRC, but has block inlays and the pineapple. No binding... 24 frets, no P/G...
...a space oddity.

papagayo

Reaction score
Gibson SG 50' s Tribute, nice P90 SG

gibson-sg-50s-tribute-1053090.jpg

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
Black-hole-sun, wont-you -come kinda vibe to me. The Clear Channel edition....

Beery Swine

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but how much did these go for new? I'm considering a used one for my first Gibson SG. Never had P90s, either, so that'd be nice for a change.

Last edited:

ruster1

Reaction score
I am not sure what they went for NEW.. but the comment from 2016 was slightly more than a standard.. ?? but you get a tripped down version.. I think they thing that has my interest since I have a Norlin Era SG.. is that the neck is like the late 60's and early 70's.. 1 9/16 width nut.. NARROW but rounded feel.. my 76 is a GREAT NECK.. gets chunky up past the 12th fret but very narrow and rounded up at the nut.. My favorite neck profile.. you have to live with this 1.55" nut width so keep that in mind.. plus.. the Gibson web site says they have 22 frets but they CLEARLY have 24.. big error there back in 2016.. I think they are hard to find today.. and the jury is out on the veneer.. but form pics i have seen the front and backs are ALWAYS 1 piece tops.. whether that means solid 1 pc body or not? Perhaps the reason for the high price tag to start with.. I do like P90's and was looking at a CLASSIC.. but this narrow nut and round profile have me liking these more and more.. just my 2 cents..

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I am not sure what they went for NEW.. but the comment from 2016 was slightly more than a standard.. ?? but you get a tripped down version.. I think they thing that has my interest since I have a Norlin Era SG.. is that the neck is like the late 60's and early 70's.. 1 9/16 width nut.. NARROW but rounded feel.. my 76 is a GREAT NECK.. gets chunky up past the 12th fret but very narrow and rounded up at the nut.. My favorite neck profile.. you have to live with this 1.55" nut width so keep that in mind.. plus.. the Gibson web site says they have 22 frets but they CLEARLY have 24.. big error there back in 2016.. I think they are hard to find today.. and the jury is out on the veneer.. but form pics i have seen the front and backs are ALWAYS 1 piece tops.. whether that means solid 1 pc body or not? Perhaps the reason for the high price tag to start with.. I do like P90's and was looking at a CLASSIC.. but this narrow nut and round profile have me liking these more and more.. just my 2 cents..

$1,299 brand new: https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Naked

Gibson doesn't use veneers.

ruster1

Reaction score
Find a second hand SG Classic.
Best P-90 SG ever produced.

full
They do look better than the NAKED version.. the Gibson P90 must be similar from year to year.. but i was very interested in the 60's 70's neck profile of the NAKED being a 1 9/16 nut width with a rounded C neck.. If it is anything like my 76 Norlin era neck.. I absolutely love it.. have to admit.. the Classic in gloss finish (not the worn finish). looks fantastic.. I did not know they came in black as well.. very cool..