Gibson SG Noise when i touch the electronics plastic cover

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by frCake, Mar 31, 2016.

1. frCake

frCake New Member

Hey guys!,

As you might remember i recently bough a Gibson SG Special 2016 T and all that :p

Im having such a blast playing that guitar man, it's intoxicating , so addictive!

But yesterday ,as i was chillin on the couch watching TV (on mute) while playing the SG, i noticed that when i drag her on my clothes i hear a microphonic sound.

I couldn't find what it s at the beggining , later on i finally rubbed the plastic electronics cover and heard the microphonic sound!

it's happening there and only there,it actually produces a sound cause it has a rough texture and when you rub your finger against it , friction produces some kind of sound which is then "amplified" ?!?!?! by the electronics?! for some reason?!?!?!?!

The guitar is super silent and has no problems whatsoever but i have to fix that issue cause this guitar goes for recordings and i don't want to mess the takes just cause i moved it against me.

Any info guys? Thank you !

2. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

You must play your SG with gloves and nude ;-)

3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Does it have shielding foil on the back of the cover?

4. frCake

frCake New Member

Well this is a great idea but i think it's not about conductivity, it just happens through sound :p

Im quite sure , i spent over 5 minutes caressing the back of my guitar :O

i opened it up aaaand no, just wood.. but shouldn't it work ? i mean how can a pot be microphonic :O

5. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

there is probably something bleeding inside and touching the plastic cover. check if there isnt any cable kinda misplaced and with a lot of contact with the plastic cover. If yes, move it around.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Pickups and the tone & volume control circuits in a conventional electric guitar are very good at “picking up” noise from electromagnetic sources like motors or switches OR EVEN STATIC FROM IONIZED PLASTIC COVERS. Take a dryer fabric softener sheet and rub it over your clothing and the plastic cover, and let us know.

7. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I usually have more trouble with Strat or Tele style guitars with this process. Dryer sheets work, but do not seem to last as long as I might like.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That's why they put so many of them in that box. The ions are in the atmosphere around you, on your clothing, on the furniture and carpets.

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You're not supposed to rub them. You have to eat a few before it does anything significant. If worse comes to worse, your crap will be wrapped in nice smelly fibre.

chilipeppermaniac and WavMixer like this.
  10. frCake

frCake New Member

Already did that , there were some cables touching the wood around i moved them gently but with no avail.

Thanks for the info, i happen to know this far but it's really weird cause when i knock the wood that's close to the cover there's no sound but when i knock the cover i hear the sound, it's not like a static or anything (i think at least) , ill try your suggestion though! and thank you very much for the input!

Crawling around the internet i found a guy had a similar problem and went to a guitar tech/store from where he bought it and got it shielded with copper i think, but they did it for free cause he bought the guitar from that shop. I hope i find some time tomorrow so i can upload a video with the issue :D

Thanks guys!