Gibson SG on eBay advice?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by saxosim, Aug 1, 2011.

1. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hiya I have found an SG for sale on EBay which ends in 11 hours, please can someone give ma any advice on it. The item number is 260827772133

There are a few concerning factors, firstly the seller calls it a standard in the title but then calls it a classic in the description, he has a zero feedback rating but is in England where I live (should I be concerned by this)? Also the only photo shows the body and not much else plus the description is a but vague?

I have emailed for more info and for a headstock shot to be added, this maybe a genuine bargain or a knightmare to stay clear of, as SGs are new to me please give me any advice you can?

Should I stay away or bid? I can't really afford one till next year but it may be a bargain if the concerns above put other bidders off. Would I be covered by paypal buyers insurance if it turned out to be a copy?

Cheers please help within the next 11 hours :)

2. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

I think I will probably be sensible and give it a miss, there are still concerns and the seller hasnt yet answered any of my questions. One good thing though is that his ratings have gone from zero to three today but all as a buyer. He also has other items listed which all look normal and above board, maybe I am too suspicious and this is a good opportunity?

The price is now climbing steadily (currently £331) what is a reasonable price to pay for a used Classic?

If anyone does have any comments on it before it ends tonight please let me know I would appreciate it.

Cheers :)

3. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

It is indeed a SG Classic. It's always hard to get started on eBay as no one likes to buy from 0 or low feedback sellers. I would steer clear of anyone when they don't answer emails.

4. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

[quote author=Tom link=topic=21760.msg260897#msg260897 date=1312214499]
    It is indeed a SG Classic. It's always hard to get started on eBay as no one likes to buy from 0 or low feedback sellers. I would steer clear of anyone when they don't answer emails.
    [/quote]

Hi Tom

Thanks what is a fair price for one of these used do you think? The seller has just replied to say it is 8 months old and he has all paperwork including the COA and has also told me the music shop it came from, it is sounding more promising. Bi am going to hold off though until I've saved more. Please let me know what you think about price and I will keep an eye on it to keep track of what they sell for while I keep saving

5. Alex

They are selling over here for $699.00 (429.52 GBP) so that is a decent reduction in price but since you aren't quite ready I'd suggest waiting until you can hold one in your hands and play it and then decide on it.

6. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

[quote author=Tom link=topic=21760.msg260903#msg260903 date=1312220724]
    They are selling over here for $699.00 (429.52 GBP) so that is a decent reduction in price but since you aren't quite ready I'd suggest waiting until you can hold one in your hands and play it and then decide on it.
    [/quote]

Hi Tom

Yes you are right I am best trying one first instead if buying one on inpulse then I can also save seperately for it instead of using savings which I would rather not do.

That price new is amazing where is that from? They cost a lot more over here.

7. Alex

8. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

[quote author=Tom link=topic=21760.msg260909#msg260909 date=1312226641]
    I was looking at the SG Classic Faded: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-classic-faded-electric-guitar/430970000324000

The SG Classic in Heritage Cherry is $999.00 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-classic-electric-guitar-with-p-90-pickups/517127000083000

Sorry for any confusion.
    [/quote]

Thanks I had a look at the faded one on musiciansfriend but unfortunately they don't ship Gibson's to the UK. It must be a shipping policy :( They are so much more over here (£300 more), oh well I will look out for a used one once I have tried one out locally.

9. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Bidding ended at £485 for the classic in heritage red, not bad really considering the new price over here.

10. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21760.msg260910#msg260910 date=1312227047]
    Thanks I had a look at the faded one on musiciansfriend but unfortunately they don't ship Gibson's to the UK. It must be a shipping policy :( They are so much more over here (£300 more), oh well I will look out for a used one once I have tried one out locally.

[/quote]

I saw a '61 RI in a shop in Swindon last year.

I think it was £999.99.

11. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Please can anyone give me their opinion on this SG special, the serial number checks out and it looks pretty good from the photos the only thing I am unsure about is how close the bottom tuning heads are to the edge of the head, is it okay?

Item: 300585433913

Also do Gibson ever stamp the year of manufacture on newer models directly under the Made in USA stamp as there is a Standard on EBay with 2009 stamped on the headstock, I havent seen this before so wondered if this is normal practice on newer SGs?

Cheers
    :)

12. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21760.msg261178#msg261178 date=1313068261]
    Please can anyone give me their opinion on this SG special, the serial number checks out and it looks pretty good from the photos the only thing I am unsure about is how close the bottom tuning heads are to the edge of the head, is it okay?

Also do Gibson ever stamp the year of manufacture on newer models directly under the Made in USA stamp as there is a Standard on EBay with 2009 stamped on the headstock, I havent seen this before so wondered if this is normal practice on newer SGs?[/quote]

looks legit to me. i've had '01 and '06 models and the bottom 2 tuners are indeed closer to the edge... dang it i never woulda noticed that until you mentioned it. everything else i see checks out. the year stamp in addition to serial and 'usa' is now standard as of a few years ago, maybe 2008.

13. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21760.msg260913#msg260913 date=1312236226]
    Bidding ended at £485 for the classic in heritage red, not bad really considering the new price over here.
    [/quote]

methinks you missed out on a good one there... price is exactly in line if dead mint.

14. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=21760.msg261180#msg261180 date=1313077431]
    looks legit to me. i've had '01 and '06 models and the bottom 2 tuners are indeed closer to the edge... dang it i never woulda noticed that until you mentioned it. everything else i see checks out. the year stamp in addition to serial and 'usa' is now standard as of a few years ago, maybe 2008.
    [/quote]

Thanks for clarifying this one looks okay, I really want to save for a standard but if this one ends at a reasonable price I may have a bid as I have been told they are very like the standard for playability without the cosmetic bells and whistles, is this true or would I be very disappointed at the difference between the 2?, what's is a reasonable price for a used Special?

Yes the classic at £485 was a cracking price I thought :)

Cheers

15. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21760.msg261182#msg261182 date=1313078228]
    Thanks for clarifying this one looks okay, I really want to save for a standard but if this one ends at a reasonable price I may have a bid as I have been told they are very like the standard for playability without the cosmetic bells and whistles, is this true or would I be very disappointed at the difference between the 2?, what's is a reasonable price for a used Special?
    [/quote]

for pricing check completed auctions on ebay here, you should be able do it, i look at ebay UK, CAN, etc. price varies wildly depending on year and condition (like anything else), range is typically $400 beater to 700 mint.

i've always liked the Special. i don't like the Fadeds tho, too cheap looking imo, don't settle for one of those if the finish isn't your bag.

the Standard is quite a bid nicer and really worth the extra $200. you get inlays and the neck *and* headstock, a slight pickup upgrade at the bridge (498 vs 490), pickup covers and -most important- a bound neck. everything else is cosmetic and the bridge pup is slightly hotter, but the binding makes the standard feel totally different.

16. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hiya thanks yes the faded finish isn't really for me as I like the deep heritage cherry finish like on the standard and special I have seen. I know what you mean about the binding as I really like it on my Epi LP. Thanks I will keep an eye on the Specials though. I would love a standard if I can push to it but it will purely be down to what I can afford really :)

I have also realised I really don't like the sound from my little Orange crush 12L amp so i am going to get my wife to buy me a VOX VT20 for Christmas as I heard one the other day and was amazed. The close contender is the Fender Mustang 2 but I think I prefer the Vox overall as it has the 33 song presets to emulate the sounds of particular songs/ artists. I was offered £30 trade in on the Orange at the guitar shop so I think I will also offer it on here first for the same price before trading as I would rather someone benefits from a cheap amp rather than the shop first.

[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=21760.msg261184#msg261184 date=1313082411]
    for pricing check completed auctions on ebay here, you should be able do it, i look at ebay UK, CAN, etc. price varies wildly depending on year and condition (like anything else), range is typically $400 beater to 700 mint.

i've always liked the Special. i don't like the Fadeds tho, too cheap looking imo, don't settle for one of those if the finish isn't your bag.

the Standard is quite a bid nicer and really worth the extra $200. you get inlays and the neck *and* headstock, a slight pickup upgrade at the bridge (498 vs 490), pickup covers and -most important- a bound neck. everything else is cosmetic and the bridge pup is slightly hotter, but the binding makes the standard feel totally different.
    [/quote]

17. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21760.msg261185#msg261185 date=1313083484]
    I have also realised I really don't like the sound from my little Orange crush 12L amp so i am going to get my wife to buy me a VOX VT20 for Christmas as I heard one the other day and was amazed. The close contender is the Fender Mustang 2 but I think I prefer the Vox overall as it has the 33 song presets to emulate the sounds of particular songs/ artists. I was offered £30 trade in on the Orange at the guitar shop so I think I will also offer it on here first for the same price before trading as I would rather someone benefits from a cheap amp rather than the shop first.
    [/quote]

is that your only amp? i had a Vox AD30-VT, didn't care for the sound. i've read the Pathfinder 15 is among the best budget/small/low watt amps and it seemingly captures the Vox vibe, but no built in FX. after a few years with the ad30vt i decided to go old school with a tube amp + booster pedal and nothing else.

18. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=21760.msg261186#msg261186 date=1313085049]
    is that your only amp? i had a Vox AD30-VT, didn't care for the sound. i've read the Pathfinder 15 is among the best budget/small/low watt amps and it seemingly captures the Vox vibe, but no built in FX. after a few years with the ad30vt i decided to go old school with a tube amp + booster pedal and nothing else.
    [/quote]

Hiya yes the Orange is unfortunately my only amp and is very basic really so I want something a bit better but I will only ever play at home so a combo smallish modelling amp will suit my needs, I will check out a few but I really like the Vox currently

19. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hiya absolutely gutted :( I went back to bid on the cherry special I was looking at the other night and it had already ended and at less than I was going to bid. For some reason I thought it was due to end an hour later than it did and unfortunately it had already finished :(

But I have seen another nice deep cherry finish 2005 special and it is only an hour up the road to collect from where I live, what do you think is it legit before I place a bid, the photos are pretty terrible but the seller seems genuine enough from his feedback and buying/ selling history:

Item number is 300587966971 any thoughts on it please are appreciated before I place a bid, it all looks okay to me based on what I have learned from looking at SG's. The colour looks nice and deep too, the serial number comes up 2005.

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21760.msg261178#msg261178 date=1313068261]

Also do Gibson ever stamp the year of manufacture on newer models directly under the Made in USA stamp as there is a Standard on EBay with 2009 stamped on the headstock, I havent seen this before so wondered if this is normal practice on newer SGs?

Cheers
    :)
    [/quote]

20. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

yea, sucks when that happens... i mark my iCal and sync it to my phone so i get an alarm.

the guitar in the new auction is legit, however, the pics are poor and you can't see the extent of the 'minor marks'.