Gibson SG Original 1 & 2

BorderLibrarian

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had info on the neck shape of the 2013 and 2014 SG Originals. The SG wiki lists them as slim taper D.

I was wondering if they were the same profile as the Derek Trucks SG? The body and headstock look suspiciously similar and thought maybe they were a "limited series" to use up surplus Derek Trucks models? This is based of the specs listed on the SG wiki, though I can't post links without it flagging my post as spam!

Any info from someone who's tried both would be appreciated.

Edit - I know they're all essentially 61 reissues, but I heard the DT signature was more full in the hand / more shoulder to the neck. Not sure if this a measurable fact or personal feeling

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had info on the neck shape of the 2013 and 2014 SG Originals. The SG wiki lists them as slim taper D.

I was wondering if they were the same profile as the Derek Trucks SG? The body and headstock look suspiciously similar and thought maybe they were a "limited series" to use up surplus Derek Trucks models? This is based of the specs listed on the SG wiki, though I can't post links without it flagging my post as spam!

Any info from someone who's tried both would be appreciated.

Edit - I know they're all essentially 61 reissues, but I heard the DT signature was more full in the hand / more shoulder to the neck. Not sure if this a measurable fact or personal feeling
Slim taper-
fret 1 .800”
fret 12 .875”

Slim taper DT-
fret 1 .800”
fret 12 .895”

Rounded
fret 1 .818”
fret 12 .963”

Latest posts