Gibson SG Slide!

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by hardrockerdave94, Mar 2, 2015.

1. hardrockerdave94

hardrockerdave94 New Member

Hi, been playing guitar for years now and I'd say I'm a decent player but I really want to get better at slide! I can do simple rhythmic sort of slide, like In my time of dying etc, but am hopeless at anything more intricate and I've got two questions.

Can anyone suggest any intermediate slide songs I should learn to help me progress? Something with a bit of soloing but nothing quite on Derek Trucks level either haha

And what sort of action should I set my guitar to? I have 2 SGs, one for just standard playing and the other I want to be something in the middle - not super high so that I couldn't play lead but at the same time not too low that it'd just rattle for slide.

Cheers! David

2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I'm obsessed with slide playing! What tunings are you using?

My best piece of advice I can give is to learn to play using your bare hand, no picks.

Check out Duane Allman's hand. He used the fingers that weren't playing at that moment to dampen on unplayed strings. Cuts out unwanted noise.

Place slide on your pinky. That leaves 3 fingers for chords and 3 fingers for dampening behind the slide.

Oh and don't forget to listen to Elmore James!

3. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a course, this would be an excellent starting point...
    http://www.learningguitarnow.com/premium/product/standard-tuning-slide-course/

Not affiliated btw, just a course of dvds I bought several years ago that I'm very happy with. He teaches it the right way and is easy to follow and understand.

Warren Haynes also has a book with CD course that's loaded with licks and techniques.

4. colchar

colchar Active Member

Duane played with the slide on his ring finger, as does Derek Trucks. Personally, I do too...not, necessarily, because they did but because I cannot control the slide properly when it is on my pinky.

5. Bullfrog

I started out with slide on ring finger. Then some years later switched to the pinky.

I can do it either way. But it's a lot more natural to use your first three fingers for chording.

6. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

I would say to LEARN with the ring finger. After you get proficient, if the need arises to have the other 3 fingers available, the get a smaller slide for the pinky and learn some hybrid techniques.

Billy Gibbons uses the middle finger but it just doesn't feel right to me. "Just Got Paid" always gets pinky slide and pick, but that's one of the few.

I always play in standard tuning. Learning it really forces you to learn good muting techniques. Besides that, everything else is just too confusing for my feeble brain.

7. Bullfrog

Oh I forgot to mention another reason why I use the pinky finger.

I play most of my slide on a 12 fret steel body National. Since the neck meets the body at the 12th, it's a lot easier to hit the 12th with the pinky than any other finger.

Of course pinky is just my personal preference, nothing more. Plenty of pros have proven over the years that it can be done with any finger. Having said that though, I wouldn't get hung up on a particular finger just because someone else does it.

8. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

Such a good song too. I've always used my ring finger and can't get used to any other. But I understand why Just Got Paid sounds so effortless for BG if he uses his middle finger. The whole song makes more sense now.