Gibson SG Standard 2015 Nut Replacement

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Chaxman, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Chaxman

Chaxman New Member

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Gibson SG 2015 Standard. Yes, the one with the brass nut problem, so I am going to replace the nut. Even though the guitar was 2nd hand Gibson are sending me the replacement titanium nut. I have also ordered the Graphtech version. My question is, should I fit the Gibson titanium or the Graphtech one?

Thanks,
    Charles Spencer

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I love my Graphtech, but since they gave you the titanium, I'd give the simplest swap the first chance.

4. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Bought my 2015 just before Christmas and the nut is already giving me problems :(

If I were you I'd just whack the titanium on. It's easy, it's fast and it's one hell of an improvement from the brass. Hey that kinda rhymes :hmm: Anyways I'm about to request a titanium replacement myself. Any tips on how to go about that? :smile:

5. Chaxman

Chaxman New Member

Hi both, I put the titanium one on last night, looks ok. To get it I just emailed the main Gibson contact email on the website and they sorted it out. Just explain you have a 2015 model with the brass nut problem and you would like a replacement. They need your serial number, presumably to check they haven't already sent one. Took about 3 weeks to come and wasn't from USA. Like you say it was an easy fit. Still not sure about the G-force tuners, looks quite cool when it tunes itself though. As I only really play at home I will leave them on, I think if I was gigging I would replace them.

Raiyn likes this.
  6. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Thanks man. As for the G-Force, I'd say the exact opposite. I do hate it a lot but I'd imagine it proves very useful on stage. If you were a bedroom player you have a choice. I'm personally getting them replaced for some grovers. Of course though, it's your guitar, your choice. Have fun with the new axe.

Is it by any chance in fireburst? If so that make three firebursts on this forum as far as I know

7. Chaxman

Chaxman New Member

I'd be worried about it going wrong on stage but I imagine it would be handy. It's the red version. Image is the new nut. Cheers.

Attached Files:

Didds likes this.