Gibson SG Standard - 2017 vs 2018

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pedecamp, Jan 27, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm considering these guitars, I'm not sure which to go for, what are the differences if there are any?

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Well the 2017 standard comes with the 57 pickups which many people prefer.

The 2018 standard model only has the 57s in the HP option.

Not a lot of other differences maybe some of the color choices etc.

I don't have my 2017 SG Standard anymore ( traded in for 2018 SG STD HP ) but it's an excellent choice in my opinion.

arcticsg likes this.
  3. pedecamp

I think the 2018 comes with 61T and 61R pickups, I never played them, I am a big fan of the 57's though, I wonder how the 61's compare to them.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

5. pedecamp

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

Much of the official material is gone from the web but I was able to compare the two and the 2017 Standard T 2018 Standard T are identical, from what I can see. Both had the Burstbucker Pro pickups, which feature a more scooped midrange than the '57 Classics. You can see my review of the 2018 Standard on my webpage, HERE and the only info I could find on the 2017s, HERE.

[​IMG]

Bob

7. cerebral gasket

Pickups are the only difference I see in the spec lists. 2017 also lists fingerboard as being thicker. Thicker compared to what? Previous year? I have not played either model.

I had a 2009 SG '61 Reissue in the past with 57 Classics and a 2015 Les Paul CM with single 61 Lead pickup at bridge position. I know that is not an ideal comparison since different guitars, but 57 Classics sound brittle to my ears and the Lead 61 sounded more like a 490 on steroids which I like better.

For years the SG Standard had the 490R / 498T combo. The 2019 SG Standard is listed with 490R / 490T combo which has been the same configuration in the SG Specials with humbuckers since I can remember. I'm probably one of the few that favor the 490's.

I like P-90's and 490's.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  8. Bob Womack

Oh, and HERE is Gibson's one-sheet flyer for the 2018 Standard.

Bob

9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Allthough I really like 57 Classic on SGs, I think the 61s are maybe better suited for harder, fuzz-fuelled tones. Still, I replaced both my pu's in my '18 Standard. Got a Dimarzio EJ Custom in the neck now, a great, medium output (DC resistance 7.2 kOhm) singlecoil-sounding humbucker, since I very much rather prefer singlecoil'ish tones from my neckpu's. The 61 in the bridge I replaced with a Bare Knuckles Riff Raff, an awesome "medium plus" output pu (DC r. 8 kOhm), also with Alnico 5. A PAF-clone, that has everything the 61 had (also round 8 kOhm), but has justmore of everything, and sounds bettet to.
    So, yeah, for hardrocking tones in the bridge, the 61 is pretty good IMO.

10. Bob Womack

How did I manage to read the thread title as Les Paul Standard? Get me back down to earth.

Bob

SG standard and rotorhead like this.
  11. pedecamp

Im not a fan of the 490's, I swapped them out of my faded SG with 57's 10 years ago which are a great fit with the bright Marshall amps I play.

12. pedecamp

LOL I was gonna say, all your info was about your LP.

Dale likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

It looks like you cannot go wrong with either the 2017 or 2018 model if pickups are the only difference. I never let pickups be a deciding factor since they can be easily changed as long they fit the same cavity routing.

arcticsg and Ray like this.
  14. pedecamp

I read a few reviews that say the 61's are a little scooped in comparison to the 57's, thats a tie breaker for me I dont like scooped, I'll definitely will go for the 2017 if I can.

15. pedecamp

But pickups can be expensive, would be another $300 if I dont like the 61's, the 57's I definitely like so I'm gonna go with them.

16. cerebral gasket

Good call.
    If both guitars are available, then by all means get the one that already has the pickups of your choice.

To clarify about pickup changes earlier, sometimes I find a guitar that I really like but is not available with the pickups of my choice. For me it would still be worth it to purchase said guitar and change the pickups to have the ideal guitar that I want.

arcticsg, Ray and pedecamp like this.
  17. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Yep, different pickups. They sound similar but the '61s have a little more bite to them. I don't know much about them, all I do know is, when I measured them, the ohms were almost identical (actually the bridge pups were the same and the neck '57's were .01 higher). Different magnets, Alinco 5 in the '61s and Alinco 2 with the 57s.

Anyways... get both! ;)

[​IMG]

18. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

How about doing something radical? Play them, then decide?

Dale and Ray like this.
  19. pedecamp

Not an option bro

baconjerky likes this.
  20. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Unless you have played a certain model, and know how it fits in your hand, makes that sound you want it to sound like, and feels right to you, I wouldn't buy it. Other peoples opinions/observations are great, but your hand and ears are the deciding factor.
    I HATED the SG tribute from a few years ago. Other loved them, I didn't. (24 frets is just wrong on an SG) Are the ones that loved them wrong? no, it's their hands and ears.
    So personally, unless I can play it, or have played other same models, I wouldn't spend my hard earned beads and shiny things on it.