Gibson SG Standard 61 Tuners

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
Okay I have this guitar a few weeks now and really love it. The feel of the neck, sound of the pickups, taper of the pots etc are all really great. I only have one issue and that is with the tuners. I just don't think they are as precise as I would like. I am not sure what the ratio is but there is just too much play. I am thinking of upgrading. What would be the best tuner upgrade for this guitar?

skelt101

Reaction score
Okay I have this guitar a few weeks now and really love it. The feel of the neck, sound of the pickups, taper of the pots etc are all really great. I only have one issue and that is with the tuners. I just don't think they are as precise as I would like. I am not sure what the ratio is but there is just too much play. I am thinking of upgrading. What would be the best tuner upgrade for this guitar?
The stock tuners have a 14:1 ratio. If you are simply looking for a higher ratio, TonePros used to offer more modern Kluson tuners in several styles. They have been discontinued, but can sometimes be found NOS. The new Kluson company offers the Revolution series with higher 19:1 ratio, as well as a locking option for (potentially) faster restringing. You can check them out here:
https://www.kluson.com/revolution.html

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
If you are having trouble tuning, be sure and check the nut is properly adjusted for the gauge strings you are using before blaming the tuners. Most tuning stability and precision issues can be traced to the strings binding in the nut and moving only in "fits and starts". I've had some really cheapo crappy tuners in the past that actually worked perfectly well with a little polishing and graphite lubricant in the nut pockets. They still felt rough, but the actual tuning issues went away when the strings were free to move easily under changes in tension.

Change tuners to whatever you like (I happen to like nice smooth tuners too),, but check the nut first.

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
If you are having trouble tuning, be sure and check the nut is properly adjusted for the gauge strings you are using before blaming the tuners. Most tuning stability and precision issues can be traced to the strings binding in the nut and moving only in "fits and starts". I've had some really cheapo crappy tuners in the past that actually worked perfectly well with a little polishing and graphite lubricant in the nut pockets. They still felt rough, but the actual tuning issues went away when the strings were free to move easily under changes in tension.

Change tuners to whatever you like (I happen to like nice smooth tuners too),, but check the nut first.
Its more about the smoothness and precision. There is just too much play in these tuners.

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
The stock tuners have a 14:1 ratio. If you are simply looking for a higher ratio, TonePros used to offer more modern Kluson tuners in several styles. They have been discontinued, but can sometimes be found NOS. The new Kluson company offers the Revolution series with higher 19:1 ratio, as well as a locking option for (potentially) faster restringing. You can check them out here:
https://www.kluson.com/revolution.html
The Kluson Revolutions look good.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Its more about the smoothness and precision. There is just too much play in these tuners.

Smoothness goes 99% to the tuner machines, tuning precision though is about 75% nut and 25% tuners. Like I say, I have had some admittedly quite nasty tuners that would tune the open note pretty precisely with a proper nut adjustment. They just felt rough as Hades doing it.

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
I have the same tuners on my ‘61 Standard, they’re perfect. Check your nut.

papagayo

Reaction score
A set of KLUSON Revolution, you will be a very happy SG player .

Les537

Reaction score
I have those kluson revolutions on my SG special and they work great. I tried a set on my '61 standard, but I couldn't stand to look at them on that guitar. The '61 has the skinny head and the rev tuners have thick posts that, to me at least, are an eye sore.

It could just be defective tuners. When I bought my SG special (online - i know) it came with the worst gibson deluxe tuners. 2 of the 6 tuners were defective from the factory. 2018 model - the bankruptcy edition!

Here it is with the rev tuners.

20210608_112734.jpg 20210608_112805.jpg
20210608_114228.jpg

Last edited:

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
Just to update I had my new SG 61 Standard upgraded to the Kluson Revolutions in addition to a setup. The difference is night and day compared to with the Gibson Deluxes. Holds tuning way better and much more precise. Well worth the money and highly recommended.

papagayo

Reaction score
Very good choice Sgguitarzz, those Revolution machine head are really fantastic, they are made for the SG/

Latest posts