Gibson SG Standard 61 vs Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Flores_68, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Flores_68

Flores_68 New Member

Hello everyone,
    Due to the difference in price ($ 1,999 vs $4,300), I've decided to go for the Gibson Standard 61. However, I'd like to know from someone who has played both, where the huge difference in price is. Are the feel, the tone, the playability that much better?

2. MR D

MR D Active Member

You did yourself a favour, I think ?
    Especially if you were thinking of getting the SG CUSTOM that has the 490/498 Pickup's.
    SG CUTSOM's, as GIBSON get the 'TUXEDO TREATMENT' ! There is your price differential.....As in Headstock Binding, Mother-of-Pearl In-lays in the Fret-Board and Headstock. The Head-Stock Bindings and In-Lays cost ......and players surely pay for it. They do look incredible. But as far as TONE goes? They add nothing. The Ebony Fret-Board in the CUSTOM is expensive as well.
    The playability/feel may be in the neck and the SG CUSTOM I looked at has a Slim-Taper '60's neck profile...for my CUSTOM Shop Big Bucks, I want a Rounded 'C' profile... but that's just me.
    Congrats on the new STANDARD, I'm sure you know..... they are BAD-A$$ !

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:42 AM
    JackStraw likes this.
  3. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

I believe the OP was refering to the Custom Shop ‘61 Reissue not the SG Custom.

4. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

I own a 2019 SG Standard ‘61, and absolutely love it, no complaints at all, and have to say its the better sounding SG I own. Fortunately I’ve had the pleasure to play the Gibson Custom Shop ‘61 Les Paul SG Stopbar Reissue back at Gibson Garage and Chicago Music Exchange with the exact curiosity as you. Im sure you’ve already read the stats differences from Gibson’s website so I wont go into all those detail nuances. Out of the gate from grabbing the instrument it felt slightly heavier, just slightly. Secondly ironically I loved the VOS finish giving it a less glossy look, its darker almost like two tints lighter than the Ox Blood finish on some. The bevels are the biggest give away aesthetically, they are deeper in the horns and tighter, the top body bevel is carved deeper and has a thinner siding. The bottom bevel actually connects with the pickguard unlike the modern ‘61 so it looks very tight and beveled everywhere. It comes with most things identical to its original vintage stock including the correct thistle crown position, double ringed Kluson tuners with Gibson branded backings, no fret nibs, a slim taper neck not like the ‘64 reissue. Comes standard with pointer guages, all nickel parts are vintaged out, proper original design pick guard Nylon nut and most things in original stock metal fasteners absent on the modern ‘61. Soundwise, it sounded hotter than my ‘61, I wasnt much sold on its sound because I believe it depends on the amps youre dealt with at given retailer and I couldnt judge off of that. One thing I noticed that I couldnt see from any pics online were the dots on the binding seemed to be mother of pearl as well versus the plain blacks we get on most guitars. Aside from that thats it, they come with old skool tags in the case, a CoA and the obvious higher price but the guitars felt very well made and didnt feel fragile to me at all. I was impressed many of times but rather win the guitar in a contest giveaway than spend my hard earned cash on it at those prices. Below on the right is my 2019 standard ‘61, I installed pointer guages and replaced the original pickguard with a CreamTone one to match the thicker vintage one. Hope that helped a little. 48EB18A4-0A1E-4C7D-8AC0-0453CD894985.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    PermissionToLand and gypsyseven like this.
  5. MR D

MR D Active Member

LOL, Looks like ur right, my bad. I'd probably pass on both GIBSON CUSTOMS. SG Standards are 'IT' for me, unless it was a Jay-Dee 'The OLD BOY'. A more reasonable price. Better Guitar (Iommi's definitely is/are) ? 2 year wait though?......I might blackout and forget I ordered it.......not ! LOL ! !!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021 at 10:28 AM
  6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

With all luxury goods, you have diminishing returns. A Gibson is already an upscale guitar from Epiphone, and the Custom Shop is another level above. It's mostly about historically accurate details. Sound and playability tend to plateau at a certain point. Even a well set-up Epiphone can be a great player and with some new pickups can get you 80% of the way to a Gibson. The biggest playability upgrade IMO is the neck profile. USA '61s have a Slim Taper that's too slim IMO. My Historic has the most comfortable neck I've ever played. A goldilocks medium C (even though they call it slim taper).

Burstbuckers/Custombuckers are great pickups, but so are Gibson USA pickups. That's almost just a matter of preference.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  7. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

In all fairness, not all ‘61 neck sizes are the same. Mine actually gets decently chunky by the time you reach the 12th fret.

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

True, all Gibson necks are hand-shaped.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Which one below is the CS model?
    Or are both CS models?

[​IMG]

The LP Special is a regular production model.
    The LP Junior DC is a CS model.

The build quality of the regular production LP Special blurs the line between the CS and regular production models.

Before the CS existed, all the guitars were built on the regular production line. There's no reason why that still cannot happen.

I would never pay $4500 for a CS 1964 SG Standard that could be built on the regular production line for half the cost.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021 at 10:35 PM