Gibson sg standard used at GC

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by heberling3, May 5, 2020.

1. heberling3

heberling3 New Member

It is a 2019 and is showroom mint. However, I noticed two issues. First the bone nut is really trimmed down at the high E and B string. Also the adjustments at the saddle wheel adjustments were adjusted all the way down verses in the staggered 1,2,3,1,2,3 pattern they normally ship. I am asking because I really like the guitar and its a decent price, but I don't want to buy it if this is a sign of a major issue with it. Keep in mind this is a stock photo and not the actual guitar. Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.03.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.07.39 PM.png 1,2,3 pattern they normally ship.

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

All guitars are different. As long as the intonation is good it doesn’t much matter how you get there.

Hard to see how goin could tell anything about the nut from that pic.

Why not call and get an “in hand” description. It’s not like the store is going to be crowded

3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

If 2019, that’s a “SG Standard 61” model.

You sure it’s a bone nut? They are built with a synthetic nut (Graph-Tech), not bone.

That’s an ABR-1 bridge and the saddles look fine to me, although it looks like maybe(?) 4 of the saddles have been flipped to possibly allow for a little more reach ?? (if so, that wouldn’t have been done at the factory). Each guitar is different. I’ve seen them set all over the place to set intonation just right. ;)

Here’s what one of mine look like from the factory, pretty similar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  4. jerry donahue

jerry donahue New Member

It looks totally normal for a sg of that make and model

5. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

ask the store to set-up the guitar beforehand...then show pics of it etc.

6. heberling3

heberling3 New Member

Those are not that actual pics. I took a couple just before the pandemic. Let me see if they are good enough to see.

7. heberling3

heberling3 New Member

8. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

As with any new to you guitar, you'll either want to do a decent setup or take it to someone who can, if you're not comfortable doing it. That eliminates any worries about the bridge setup. Even if you have to start back with a factory setup and fine tune it, it's really not that difficult, especially with the cornucopia of knowledge flowing forth from some of the members here.

That leaves the nut issue. It's very hard to see how bad it is from the provided picture. Were you able to play it? Did it affect the playability at all? It may again be a nonissue.