Gibson Special '60s Tribute or Epi's Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special???

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Okay guys let the opinions fly. I am trying to decide between a Gibson Special '60s Tribute or Epi's Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special.

Gibson Special '60s Tribute
http://everythingsg.com/index.php/special-60s-tribute.html

Epi's Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special
http://everythingsg.com/index.php/1961-sg-special.html

I like the look of the Epi with the wrap-around stopbar/bridge reminicent of the early 60's SGs. But for double the price ($400 vs $800) there is the Gibson. These days the quality of the Epis are pretty good but equal to the Gibson?

Does anyone have the Gibson Special '60s Tribute and if so what do you think about it? The Epi is supposed to be available next month so there are a few weeks to decide. Does anyone know any differences between the P90s in the Epi's vs the Gibson?

dbb

Reaction score
The Epi is a fine axe....but if you can spring the extra bucks, get the Gibson for the P90's. You won't be sorry! The Epi would be wonderful, but the Gibson may be a bit plainer but will be a tad better quality wood and will be PLEK'd, so it'll play very slick.
I'm very impressed that with all the BS at Gibson they came up with a USA guitar series at a decent price.

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
Gibson all the way, everything from the wood and hardware to the electronics will be better quality. Plus, I know that there are a lot of fans of wrap-around bridges around here but I can't stand them. I've owned a couple and I could NEVER get the intonation just right so I got rid of them.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I'd add an option C and say go for the 60s tribute LP in goldtop finish ;D

Of the two choices though, I'd say if your budget allows the gibson is the better choice because it will have better electronics and because it holds its value better. The real P90s beat the the epiphone P90 pups easily imho. I'm a big P90 fan and have played thru both the epiphone and gibson P90s alot. The gibson P90s beat the epiphones hands down both in warmth and in its response to higher gain stuff. PLus the natural and white SG 60s tributes just plain look cool O0

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21748.msg260803#msg260803 date=1311709739]
Plus, I know that there are a lot of fans of wrap-around bridges around here but I can't stand them. I've owned a couple and I could NEVER get the intonation just right so I got rid of them.
[/quote]

The guitars I've owned with wrap-arounds were just never up to the sound and intonation of the tuneomatics...I'm with Kevy on this. I missed this on the first look on the Epi.....I must be slipping. Another GOOD reason to get the Gibson.

happy_tom

Reaction score
I vote for Epi. Becouse it looks cooler. ;D

Plus, with that 400$ you can get gibson (or some other brand name) pickups, a pro setup,, a hard case, cool strap and a year's supply of strings & picks. ;D

you can't go wrong with either anyway.
I'm getting me an epi, as soon as they're available.

AxRab

Reaction score
Well....... Since you asked.........

The Gibson really is nothing like any Gibson Special built in the 60's, they never put a 2 piece ABR on 60's specials, they also never used Perloid Tuners or a single ply pickguard and it should have binding on the neck as well, Gibson failure again...

With the exception of the headstock on the Epi, it is more period correct then the Gibson as it has almost all the attributes of a 60's special unlike the Gibson 60's Tribute.

Save yer money and buy an old Gibson Special, dont feed the 900 pound Gibson Gorilla and make things worse.....

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
I just thought of a third option that I should have thought of earlier; the Classic Faded.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-classic-faded-electric-guitar

I have one and I love it. Here's why I chose it over the 60's Tribute:

1. Large, 5-ply pickguard (I just like it better)
2. Button Tuners (look more like the real thing)
3. Binding on the neck (just like the real ones)
4. Inlay logo instead of decal (again, more like the real ones)
5. It costs $100.00 LESS!

p.s. I was gonna post a link to sweetwater, but they don't have it.

dbb

Reaction score
Kevy smart! makes things go!

I'd get that one myself....good reasoning.

Gibby58

Reaction score
I was really impressed with the 60's Tribute SG. I tried 5 different LP tributes, and I liked the SG much better. It sounds so good, My Friend borrowed it for a track on his new album. I've sunk money into Epi's a few times, I don't think it was worth the time or money. Buy a used Gibson, Epi make good guitars, Gibson makes better guitars, better guitars have higher resale. I was selling a mint 60's Tribute last week for $550.00, you could of had that. I liked it, but I sold it to pay for my Townsend.

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Kevy makes a good point but I don't like the large pickguard. Personal preference I know. It looks like the Gibson is the clear choice.

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=Tom link=topic=21748.msg260840#msg260840 date=1311889111]
It looks like the Gibson is the clear choice.
[/quote]

If money is not considered part of the equation, ALWAYS go with the Gibson!

sneakerpimp

Reaction score
[quote author=happy_tom link=topic=21748.msg260809#msg260809 date=1311723253]
I vote for Epi. Becouse it looks cooler.

Plus, with that 400$ you can get gibson (or some other brand name) pickups, a pro setup,, a hard case, cool strap and a year's supply of strings & picks.
[/quote]

sure you can upgrade an epi but it will NEVER be worth the sum of its parts... you can take that to the bank.

telebutcher

Reaction score
Go with the consensus, Gibson if your wallet supports it. If not, wait till it can. I do like that Classic Faded!

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
It looks like the price on the Faded Classic just went up $100. I'm glad I got one when I did, but it is still a better value over the 60s Tribute, if you ask me.

Hammer

Reaction score
60s Tribute, but...I'm a bit partial. :roll: ;D

DSCF0908.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21748.msg261172#msg261172 date=1313021544]
nice guitar and nice pic O0
[/quote]

Thanks! At some point I'd like to try my hand at giving it a little bit of a polish, but, as it is I am very happy. The only other thing I could have asked for was binding, but at a sub-$800 price point, I'm not going to quibble.

Latest posts