GIBSON U.S.A. ? REALLY ? UH, NOT !

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Ping has been used on various Gibson, Fender and others for at least 10-20yrs now. The old US made Grovers have slot screws holding the buttons on. The imports have philips head screws holding the buttons on the shaft.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
Ping has been used on various Gibson, Fender and others for at least 10-20yrs now. The old US made Grovers have slot screws holding the buttons on. The imports have philips head screws holding the buttons on the shaft.

What? My brand new USA SG Standard has those Phillips screws! Aargh!!!

Next, you’ll be telling me the automatic transmission in my Ford F-150 is a Mazda!

I’m as “buy American” as anybody, having been US Labor my entire career. I vote with my wallet as much as possible, but things being as they are I don’t get briefed on corporation policy.
When I was a mechanic I specified that I wanted only US made fasteners (screws, bolts, etc.).
But over time even that became impossible as the rack jobbers just plastered “Made in USA,” stickers over the box labels, covering over the import stickers.
I’m retired now, so am a total curmudgeon about everything.

I’m hoping my Earnie Ball strings are actually made domestically, for now…

MR D

Reaction score
Arguing with someone like him is like playing chess with a pigeon.
If you are referring to MR D ? in a chess match...my money would be on MR D, not the pidgeon. AFAIK, you do not know MR D, no, you do not.

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
32419F91-F389-4E4A-B120-790AA313BFC8.jpeg This thread reminded me of a 66 Kalamazoo USA bass with original MIJ tuners 57F315B1-ADDB-405A-ABE2-27CBC3B22CBD.jpeg

MR D

Reaction score
Talking of spurious... I wasn't talking about comparing a bad Asian guitar with a good US guitar. And while we are at it, there is absolutely nothing second rate about Epiphones. My ES339 has a build quality that would shame most Gibson's.

Neither was I.
I called one guitar a POS, because it was, and no doubt, still is...and specifically, it would be a 25+ yr. old OLD POS now. I also did say that it was unfair to compare the two guitars, did I not ? IDK about your ES-339, as I have never seen/heard it.
But I just doubt it would shame any comparably priced GIBSON I own. I just doubt that very much. I stated what I stated and if you're upset, IDK why. MINE is only an opinion. An opinion from someone you do not know from anywhere, someone who will never be of any consequence in your personal life.
I do know:
The MADE IN U.S.A. thing means something to a lot of people. if you think it doesn't: Imagine telling the members of a notorious Motor-Cycle gang (pick any of many) that their Harley's have parts on them that are made in China, because they actually do.....and do it when they are good and drunk and they are likely not to remember what they did they next day. It most likely won't go over very well.
But who knows, maybe they will say "Thanks" and buy you a drink, yes?
Say whatever you like about me, I can take a joke. But 'MADE IN U.S.A." is supposed to mean 'MADE IN U.S.A.".

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
Say whatever you like about me, I can take a joke. But 'MADE IN U.S.A." is supposed to mean 'MADE IN U.S.A.".
A Gibson is "MADE IN U.S.A.", from globally sourced materials. Perhaps that should be on the back of a headstock! :smile:
As far as tuners go, what are made in the USA? I'm pretty sure Sperzel, if they are still around... Anyone else? Maybe Hipshot?

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
A Gibson is "MADE IN U.S.A.", from globally sourced materials. Perhaps that should be on the back of a headstock! :smile:
As far as tuners go, what are made in the USA? I'm pretty sure Sperzel, if they are still around... Anyone else?

IDK, great question......I thought Klusons and Grovers actually were made in USA. Grovers?
Had I known, I'd have bought the Sperzels. I had already placed the order on the Kluson's last week, and the Guy was reading an e-mail I had sent about maybe replacing Mini-Grovers, so he called me on the phone this morning... We got to talking, and the bomb was dropped. I had been happily unaware up to that point.

papagayo

Reaction score
I don' t know where are made the KLUSON but I can tell you that the KLUSON Revolution tuners are fantastic, those machine head are very light, 1:19 high ratio, smooth knobs...
This is the best choice IMHO :dude:

SG Standard TBK 212.jpg

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Oh ... but you are the pigeon.

LOL. I clicked "show ignored content" just to see what this was about and instantly remembered why I blocked that guy.

Gibson has used "crummy furrin' country" sourced tuners since about 1971 when Schaller started making them parts in Germany. Asian Grovers have been used on Gibsons since the 1980s, after Grover moved their factory to Taiwan.

plankton

Reaction score
LOL. I clicked "show ignored content" just to see what this was about and instantly remembered why I blocked that guy.

Gibson has used "crummy furrin' country" sourced tuners since about 1971 when Schaller started making them parts in Germany. Asian Grovers have been used on Gibsons since the 1980s, after Grover moved their factory to Taiwan.

That's a good idea, thanks for the reminder.

MR D

Reaction score

TNX 4 dat, I will get a set if they're available.

Dashields

Reaction score
You can always go with Schallers (Made In Germany). Considering they made a lot of Gibson tuners and bridges for years, you'll get a great quality product.

Huntroll

Reaction score
An American made Gibson with nibs is likely to have inconsistent / messy fret to binding detail.
A guitar currently made in Korea is likely to have perfect / impeccable fret to binding detail.
It won't be long before Chinese built guitars are considered the best quality on Earth.
Sooner or later China will own North America.
You may want to nix the prejudism.

Latest posts