GIBSON U.S.A. ? REALLY ? UH, NOT !

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Check the Sold Listings filter at Reverb and it’s a research tool for photos and descriptions. Values are not always actual sold for amount.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

Gibson is still using those buttons from the old Melody Makers? Never quite got to liking that look and i've yet to see them on a newer Gibson.
You saved me the trouble of the whole: screenshot/pixelating, up-load only to find out 'File is too large' and retry, routine. THANK YOU !
Now half my screen is covered in advertisements and can not see what I am typing...this site.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
27843590-0FD4-4FF2-91A0-D1C1B07AA84F.jpeg Yea, on Juniors and Specials. There’s also a Grover 3 strap on some acoustics.
This is my 21 SG Junior, I’m guessing PW by the font but not sure. They work flawlessly.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
View attachment 46097 Yea, on Juniors and Specials. There’s also a Grover 3 strap on some acoustics.
This is my 21 SG Junior, I’m guessing PW by the font but not sure. They work flawlessly.

YO D.D., Having problems on this site w/posting...I dont think I even mentioned how the PING TM's worked? I took them off my 2019 SG 'Original' w/Maestro. I guess they worked as good as ole 'DELUXE's should work... but I did not like them, and I thought two of them felt a bit weird when turning them. I did not know that they were not Grovers or whoever else has been making 'Gibson Deluxe' TM's for the last 60+ years but I did think they were Grovers/Kluson's/Gotoh's even ?. Also wanting to Chrome the guitar out made the REVOLUTIONS w/Chrome buttons the TM's I selected. The set of 'REVOLUTION's is just over an ounce lighter, and the Guitar did dive a bit prior to the change, but a suede strap had already settled that.
The Kluson 'Revolutions' that replaced the PINGs are an overall improvement for sure, a very noticeable difference in tuning stability especially when using the Maestro. W/19:1 ratio w/Locks vs 14:1 ordinary TM's I expected an improvement and got it.
I've now put two sets of the 'Revolutions' on 2 SG's, one is a Standard and the other is called an 'Original' but it sure seems to me that itssa Standard. I've got zero complaints and only good things to say about the Kluson 'REVOLUTION's Locking T.M.'s. Someone here on ETSG mentioned them and, once again, I am glad I listened. They is the SHIZZLE !

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I've now put two sets of the 'Revolutions' on 2 SG's, one is a Standard and the other is called an 'Original' but it sure seems to me to be Standard.

Same model, marketed as different name.

SG Original has similar features as the 1963-65 SG Standards, which ironically differ from the original SG Standards from 1961-62 that had the Sideways instead of Maestro Vibrola. They are still SG Standards regardless of what name they are marketed under.

All these different SG model names today are derivatives of the same original four models: Junior, Special, Standard, Custom.

Another example:

An SG Classic is a rebranded SG Special.
It’s just a reissue of a 1966-71 SG Special, but with modern neck joint, 1-11/16 nut width, TOM bridge with tailpiece, individual tuners instead of three on a plate. The bound neck with dots and headstock markings still identifies it as an SG Special.

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
9B101C80-4FEB-4324-B348-9CF012EF679A.jpeg
YO D.D., Having problems on this site w/posting...I dont think I even mentioned how the PING TM's worked? I took them off my 2019 SG 'Original' w/Maestro. I guess they worked as good as ole 'DELUXE's should work... but I did not like them, and I thought two of them felt a bit weird when turning them. I did not know that they were not Grovers or whoever else has been making 'Gibson Deluxe' TM's for the last 60+ years but I did think they were Grovers/Kluson's/Gotoh's even ?. Also wanting to Chrome the guitar out made the REVOLUTIONS w/Chrome buttons the TM's I selected. The set of 'REVOLUTION's is just over an ounce lighter, and the Guitar did dive a bit prior to the change, but a suede strap had already settled that.
The Kluson 'Revolutions' that replaced the PINGs are an overall improvement for sure, a very noticeable difference in tuning stability especially when using the Maestro. W/19:1 ratio w/Locks vs 14:1 ordinary TM's I expected an improvement and got it.
I've now put two sets of the 'Revolutions' on 2 SG's, one is a Standard and the other is called an 'Original' but it sure seems to me that itssa Standard. I've got zero complaints and only good things to say about the Kluson 'REVOLUTION's Locking T.M.'s. Someone here on ETSG mentioned them and, once again, I am glad I listened. They is the SHIZZLE !
I have 2 worn out sets of USA Grovers. They look cool but (to my ears) they increased sustain but killed higher frequencies. I’ve been down this road before. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

MR D

Reaction score
View attachment 46121
I have 2 worn out sets of USA Grovers. They look cool but (to my ears) they increased sustain but killed higher frequencies. I’ve been down this road before. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Yes, there it is: 'USA', and that is exactly what I expected to see when I bought the PING equipped SG.....yes that is it exactly. THANK YOU 4 THAT ! I tried to not sound Frikkin Mad when I started this thred, I re-read it b4 I posted it to make sure it was only factual sounding.... but I really was fuckin MAD to find out GIBSON U.S.A. is using Foreign Made parts. **** that, those USA Grovers pictured above is what I was expecting to see.....and for my USDollars that is what should be on my GIBSON USA 'Made in USA' guitar.

There's some Mo' of Dat BS !

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Same model, marketed as different name.

SG Original has similar features as the 1963-65 SG Standards, which ironically differ from the original SG Standards from 1961-62 that had the Sideways instead of Maestro Vibrola. They are still SG Standards regardless of what name they are marketed under.

All these different SG model names today are derivatives of the same original four models: Junior, Special, Standard, Custom.

Another example:

An SG Classic is a rebranded SG Special.
It’s just a reissue of a 1966-71 SG Special, but with modern neck joint, 1-11/16 nut width, TOM bridge with tailpiece, individual tuners instead of three on a plate. The bound neck with dots and headstock markings still identifies it as an SG Special.

As usual you are correct, C.B.. Cigar ? But, I have never seen a 'Special' with a bound neck though....W.A.M, let me think....?????...NOPE ! not a one, including the one 'Special' currently in the arsenal. I did see a '09 Classic for sale recently....only $1400 ! Tempted as I was, I passed.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
As usual you are correct, C.B.. Cigar ? But, I have never seen a 'Special' with a bound neck though....W.A.M, let me think....?????...NOPE ! not a one, including the one 'Special' currently in the arsenal. I did see a '09 Classic for sale recently....only $1400 ! Tempted as I was, I passed.

Original SG Specials had bound necks with dots. I had a 1963 and 1969 in the past.

1963 SG Special

full

MR D

Reaction score

Right D.D., been doin that for years, decades actually....these Guitars I have will be left to someone who is 4 years old currently, possibly others too. and IDK if the child will be receiving music lessons of any kind so if the child gets the guitar and doesn't have to do/learn the whole post wrap thing, it will be one less reason for the child to give up.....I am really making an effort to consider those coming up, and even those yet to be.......they will get, barring any unforseen disasters, the originals TM's as well.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Original SG Specials had bound necks with dots. I had a 1963 and 1969 in the past.

1963 SG Special

full

WOW, C.B., U R amazing ! I only know two other people as knowlegable as you are when it comes to GIBSON Guitars, HOLY $#!T.... So, you are exceptional C.B. and I appreciate that. Regarding these two people: They are both or were GIBSON employee's !!! Each for at least a decade! One of those 2 Men still works for Gibson. I can not post his name here BUT he is fairly well-known.
One of them told me a few very valuable things and the most important thing was that GIBSON makes its guitars to be played and set-up with the neck as close to dead straight as possible w/out kinking the binding or twisting frets. SG's especially seem to benefit from this for sure. After havinf set the relief at .010" @ 9th Fret for years and then going to .003" @ 9Th Fret, it is a startling difference..

Last edited:

papagayo

Reaction score
Gibson Custom Shop install the KLUSON Revolution on some early models.
Locking version is great if your SG have a Vibrola.

SG Standard TBK 242.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
Gibson Custom Shop install the KLUSON Revolution on some early models.
Locking version is great if your SG have a Vibrola.

View attachment 46122

Wow Kluson 'Revolutions' STOCK equipment on a Gibson Custom shop? There's a 1st for me....makes sense since Kluson was making the 'Gibson Deluxe' T.M.'s and those are probably on thousands of Gibson's now, b-b-but when Gibson does that, do they say 'KLUSON DELUXE'? I don't remember, sold the vintage 70's to 90's Gibson's. Need a refresh on that one....That Custom looks like it has a 'Stinger' w/out the paint, kinda ? its an SG ? that li'l bit has that well-played look.
Right you are, 'Revolutions' hold tune well on axes w/Vibrola's. Imma try to get the picture up of the other SG 'Original' w/Maestro on here .....of course ,files too big, gotta go to another machine....give it a try later....

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score

1963 SG Special

full

Sharp, was it yours ? Geez-ous, hate to say this but......if you still had it ? I'd like to hear it next to a 2017 or 2018 SG Standard/Special, see how the newer ones measure up.
A Player I admire, Don Felder, mentioned in a 2017 Non-Gibson interview that in his opine GIBSON was/is making the best guitars they ever made right now....I agree.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Sharp, was it yours ? Geez-ous, hate to say this but......if you still had it ? I'd like to hear it next to a 2017 or 2018 SG Standard/Special, see how the newer ones measure up.
A Player I admire, Don Felder, mentioned in a 2017 Non-Gibson interview that in his opine GIBSON was/is making the best guitars they ever made right now....I agree.

I sold it.
IMO vintage guitars are overpriced.
I would rather have 2 or 3 modern second hand guitars that are $1000 each than a single vintage guitar that cost $3000-4000.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
I sold it.
IMO vintage guitars are overpriced.
I would rather have 2 or 3 modern second hand guitars that are $1000 each than a single vintage guitar that cost $3000-4000.

Over-priced without a doubt..... IDK the answer to this, but you might..its really just an opinion but your's is a considerable one, SO,....How do you think a 2017 SG Standard w/'57 Classics or 2018 SG Standard w/'61R&T pickups compare to the 'Vintage' 1960's Gibson SG's ?

I only had a '77 SG Standard to compare to my new one, but the 2107 SG Standard, I thought, was an all round better guitar. Acoustically and plugged in.I sold my Vintage Gibson's very soon after finding that.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
+1 to what CG said. I like good instruments. There were some great ones back in the day, and there are some great ones now. I like "vintage gear" if it is good, but at the end of the day it is just a used guitar. I can't see paying cork sniffer prices for something I am just going to play the same as if it was new or recent production. I've seen some pretty shite guitars going for big bucks just because they were old. I do believe in MOJO, but realistically I also understand that it is 95% or better "all in the mind". The other 5% is just something being useful and well crafted that happens to be particularly well suited to my tastes.

Latest posts