Gibson Unveils Strat-Style Jimi Hendrix Signature Line

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Voxman, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Now Gibson's saying the " S " word ;D

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazi..._Strat_Style_Jimi_Hendrix_Signature_Line.aspx

2. TNT

TNT Active Member

gibson had the U-2 or US-2. Might be a similar guitar.

3. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Tacky, and usually sell for 99 quid.

Authentic LLC (LookyLikeyCrap).

4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Huh .. The U2 is a strat by any name! :roll:

5. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

Lol, I think it's lame as hell. I got the email a couple of weeks ago but didn't see any pic's. I hate that his sister is selling him out and also hate that Gibson took the bait. I bet the quality will be in line with Maestro by Gibson guitars. I don't know if Gibson ever made one but why isn't there a cs Hendrix white 3 pickup, gold hardware SG sig? That would make more sense, that's the only Gibson I can think of that I've seen video or pics of him playing.

Whats more, Gibson gets all pissy about the Chinese and Japanese knock offs but they rip off Fender?! Go figure. :nono:

6. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Pure marketing. No affinity with Jimi.

I personally think it's appalling but there's two whole generations who weren't even around when he was still alive, so my opinion is probably irrelevant. (I'm certainly not a buyer).

7. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Looks like something you buy to a Barbie-doll.

For some reason, I would never buy a sig-guitar. Don't ask me why. But I understand the company's' decisions: They have to sell gtrs to survive. Many people like sigs.

8. revelroy

revelroy Member

seems stupid and way cheesy.

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Only thing that comes to mind is.......................... WHY? >:(

(That's about like GM making a historic version of the 57 T-Bird................ :roll:

10. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with Hendrix... nothing to do with music .. nor integrity nor heritage ...it's just about $$$$ for Gibson and Jamie Hendrix.

I thought that Gibson marketing had plumbed new depths with the "Kiefer Sutherland" model, but at least that was a quality product with an unsaleable name / image. But this? This is how to take a recognised brand name (or two) and make a mockery out of both of them.
    This is just so lame...NOBODY associates Hendrix with Gibson - yeah - a Hendrix Flying V or even the white SG Custom he played once or twice, would perhaps have more relevance, but that isn't what's required here. No no... this is all about $$$$ - and Chinese Yuan, of course.
    I hope sales are dismal.... I believe that Gibson have seriously under-estimated the General Public's intellect, this time... and the public don't take kindly to that. Don't they teach that at Hravard Business School any more, Henry?

I sincerely hope that the product will fail miserably and be discontinued - and the whole exercise can be filed under "Juszkiewicz Junk"

What next Henry? The "Stevie Ray Vaughn Signature" series? It's almost laughable.

11. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Wow, I am really embarrassed for Gibson on that move. :(

I'd expect it will be very short lived and will die off quietly in about 12 months. I am a big strat fan and I'd no more buy a Gibson strat than ... well I'd never buy one. I wonder if Fender will be going after Gibson on that one. Sure looks similar to a strat to me. After all the stink Gibson made with PRS over the PRS singlecut Lp style guitars, one would think Gibson wouldn't do this.

12. revelroy

revelroy Member

ya know, Fender DID have their fling w/ gibson type guitars too.
    the STARCASTER in the 70s[?], and the 'wildwood' hollowbodies in the 60s...

13. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=8-ball link=topic=19781.msg239836#msg239836 date=1253789787]
    For some reason, I would never buy a sig-guitar. Don't ask me why. But I understand the company's' decisions: They have to sell gtrs to survive. Many people like sigs.
    [/quote]

I would tend to agree, however I would buy a Clapton Strat. I've had one in my hands and I like the feel and the way it plays as well as some of the features Fender puts in that aren't in other Strats. At least on this one they offer a "Standard" Clapton Strat and a Custom Shop "Sig Clapton Strat" so you don't have to ante up the extra bucks just to get a name on the headstock.

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19781.msg239851#msg239851 date=1253797827]
    I wonder if Fender will be going after Gibson on that one. Sure looks similar to a strat to me. After all the stink Gibson made with PRS over the PRS singlecut Lp style guitars, one would think Gibson wouldn't do this.
    [/quote]

I think it would be tough for Fender to go after Gibson like Gibson did PRS. There are a bazillion Strat & Tele clones out there by virtually anyone that make a mass produced or custom shop guitar. To the best of my knowledge Fender has never gone after any of those.

14. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

15. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=Strange Brew link=topic=19781.msg239858#msg239858 date=1253804439]
    Earlier this year, Fender went after Schecter, Tom Anderson, Warmoth et al.... and lost
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/199864993.html
    [/quote]

And they should have. After letting all these other companies play in their sandbox for 50 years, you don't all of a sudden decide not to share. I didn't see G & L listed in the suit. Was that because Fender didn't figure they could sue the father of the company? G & L doesn't even change the headstock shape.

16. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Why can't they just look over this and their own forum when making decisions. Plenty of good ideas have been made for guitars that WOULD sell. :(

17. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

"This case is an important victory for the guitar industry as a whole. The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board has prevented Fender from gaining a monopoly on these body shapes that have been used by hundreds of manufacturers for half a century."

Can you believe this guy? Because people have been copying Fender for years means it's suddenly okay?

Why shouldn't Fender have a monopoly on the shape THEY designed?

18. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

19. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19781.msg239869#msg239869 date=1253822118]
    Can you believe this guy? Because people have been copying Fender for years means it's suddenly okay?
    [/quote]
    Um, half a century isn't exactly suddenly. You don't let people do something for that long and then YOU all of a sudden decide it's not okay any longer. It's why the judge decided against Fender. Fender screwed themselves decades ago when they didn't trademark their design.

Did Leo have Fender's blessing when he partnered up to form G & L and make Strat and Tele clones. G & L didn't even bother to change the head stock design. Was that okay?

Besides, precedence was set when Gibson sued PRS and lost. Fender didn't stand a chance.

20. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Yes Sixer, that was my first reaction too.
    If Gibson can get away with it then why not. Gibson has the patents on their bodies and can produce the Fender ones too so diversify and sell the Fender clones as cheesy cheap ar$e knockoffs while preserving the Gibson models as much higher priced guitars. Slap in Fender's face for sure. I guess Fender wasn't willing to pay the Hendrix LLC what they wanted. Gibson has the Hendrix Flying Vee so the Strat makes sense but geeewaaaad...why didn't they make something professional?