Gibson USA and Gibson Custom ANGUS Sig.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by zrAC/DC, Nov 10, 2009.

1. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

2. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Nice guitars, ugly prices.

3. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

Maple neck on the Custom Shop guitar?? Hmm

4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I get a kick out of these $ 4.5, 6.5 and 9.4K SG's! ;D

5. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

now to wait for an epiphone version of it :p

6. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

I've just had another look, and I think black binding would better suit the black finish.

7. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I think they should of left the trap. inlays on the USA version something looks funny about those lightning bolts.

8. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19944.msg241630#msg241630 date=1257906415]
    Maple neck on the Custom Shop guitar?? Hmm
    [/quote]

Weird. But I personally think it is a great idea. I can't imagine that his is maple though. Which is really weird. Frankly I think 3 piece maple necks are where it is at.

9. Ballbreaker

Ballbreaker Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19944.msg241655#msg241655 date=1257956407]
    I think they should of left the trap. inlays on the USA version something looks funny about those lightning bolts.
    [/quote]

Which would have been a black 61RI but I agree. ;)

The USA Sign is a bit pointless as I've never seen Angus with a guitar like that... I know, same thing with the "devil" sign...

10. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19944.msg241655#msg241655 date=1257956407]
    [/quote]

Definitely agreed. At least the CS one is copying Angus's SG that actually has lightning bolt inlays, but the guitar the USA one is copying has traps so I don't get their thinking there. And the USA one doesn't even work the lightning bolts into the design, they look totally out of place.

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=19944.msg241656#msg241656 date=1257956511]
    Weird. But I personally think it is a great idea. I can't imagine that his is maple though. Which is really weird. Frankly I think 3 piece maple necks are where it is at.[/quote]

Actually, if I'm correct in assuming his lightning bolt SG is his original restored, it would make sense. Because he said his original SG's neck warped. So it would make sense that the lightning bolt SG had it's neck replaced thus explaining the missing volute and lightning bolt inlays. And maple would be a good choice for his replacement neck if he planned on gigging it.

[quote author=Ballbreaker link=topic=19944.msg241657#msg241657 date=1257957574]
    The USA Sign is a bit pointless as I've never seen Angus with a guitar like that... I know, same thing with the "devil" sign...
    [/quote]

???

Angus has a Black '64 SG. The only difference is the inlays and switchplate/switchtip.

Anybody else notice the USA version has the SG Standard neck joint? Come on, Gibson. :coolsmiley:

11. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Member

In my humble opinion.....
    an SG Standard shouldn't cost more then a grand, a 61 Reissue anymore then maybe $1,500.00.....

I just don't get why anyone feels the need to pay 2 to 3 grand more for a guitar just because it has some famous artist's name on it, and a few of that artist's modifications.....

Fancy neck inlays might raise the cost $500.00 over what it costs to do the standard inlays, but they still have to put a pickup selector switch on the guitar, doesn't matter which color the tip and ring are, the switch still has to go on there, and the same goes for the truss rod cover.....

Call it an Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Robby kreiger, or a Pete Townsend SG and tag on another 2 grand...... :roll:

12. Ballbreaker

Ballbreaker Member

[quote author=suicidehummer]
    [quote author=Ballbreaker]
    [/quote]

???

Angus has a Black '64 SG. The only difference is the inlays and switchplate/switchtip.
    [/quote]

I may be a pit picky but, if there's a difference then it's not the same, am I right ?
    His Black '64 doesn't look like the new USA sign and his "lightning bolts" SG doesn't look like the old USA "Devil" sign.

The only SG deserving Angus's sign is the CS one, which is exactly like his guitar, not something looking almost like his guitar. ;)

13. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

So technically the USA one is the wrong color, or it has the wrong inlays? I guess it depends which way you look at it.

Personally I think the CS aged one is so badass it is ridiculous.

14. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=19944.msg241700#msg241700 date=1258035676]
    So technically the USA one is the wrong color, or it has the wrong inlays? I guess it depends which way you look at it.

Personally I think the CS aged one is so badass it is ridiculous.
    [/quote]

The USA one has the wrong pickup selector ring color and wrong inlays. If it was red then it would have the wrong pickguard. It still seems those inlays are screwed up on the USA if you compare the upper ones to the CS sg.

15. suicidehummer

[quote author=SurfGuitar141 link=topic=19944.msg241673#msg241673 date=1257980471]
    In my humble opinion.....
    an SG Standard shouldn't cost more then a grand, a 61 Reissue anymore then maybe $1,500.00.....

I just don't get why anyone feels the need to pay 2 to 3 grand more for a guitar just because it has some famous artist's name on it, and a few of that artist's modifications.....

Fancy neck inlays might raise the cost $500.00 over what it costs to do the standard inlays, but they still have to put a pickup selector switch on the guitar, doesn't matter which color the tip and ring are, the switch still has to go on there, and the same goes for the truss rod cover.....

Call it an Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Robby kreiger, or a Pete Townsend SG and tag on another 2 grand...... :roll:
    [/quote]

Well you seem to be ignoring that the electronics and pickups are totally different from the SG Standard. Besides, since when has Gibson's pricing made sense?

And it's not like you can already get a black '61 RI with lightning bolt inlays. Gibson is at least trying to offer something new that we might like. I'll give them credit for that.

[quote author=Ballbreaker link=topic=19944.msg241678#msg241678 date=1257984277]
    I may be a pit picky but, if there's a difference then it's not the same, am I right ?
    His Black '64 doesn't look like the new USA sign and his "lightning bolts" SG doesn't look like the old USA "Devil" sign.

The only SG deserving Angus's sign is the CS one, which is exactly like his guitar, not something looking almost like his guitar. ;)[/quote]

I never said it was exactly the same. But Angus does play a guitar similar to that. It's about as close to what he plays as the old Sig was. If you want a perfect replica, get the CS.

I agree with zrAC/DC that the inlays on the USA Sig are smaller and more awkward looking than the CS's. Also, the binding is one weird-ass color on the USA Sig. I prefer the old USA Sig.

16. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

like em both

they're classy, even if you don't know about angus.

17. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

[​IMG]

wow! that is now my favorite SG!!!

i'm a KISS fan so the lightning bolts suit me just fine :coolsmiley:

18. miniangus

miniangus New Member

1. stunning
    2. ridiculous price especially for buyers in the land down under . cause it's twice as much in $AU
    3. needs full pickguard and angus' engraved vibrola from the old signature model

19. suicidehummer

Miniangus: That wouldn't make sense. Angus doesn't have a black full-guard SG. That's pretty close to his #1 SG for the current tour other than the inlays.

20. miniangus

miniangus New Member

i was describing the pickguard on the first angus sig model. not tryn 2 be mean or not miake sense