Gibson USA SG 2019 Models?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by flognoth, May 28, 2018.

1. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

looks like they cut corners on the double cut LP Junior, they enlarged and changed the shape of the pickguard and now mount the pickup.pots,jack. in the guard.slim taper neck(boo!),straight compensated bridge, also comes in just a gig bag.I wonder how much?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Lunacy the Faded and lawrev like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

There's always the used market if not into the current offerings. With all the different variations of the SG to date, there's plenty to choose from whether new or used.

4. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

That's really the marketing plan in a nutshell. I understand what Gibson doing. Just a few tweaks here and there between year models and over time people have a choice.

Keeping models static over several years will not garner or sustain an interest.

5. lawrev

lawrev Active Member

I took a look at the whole line and wasn't terribly impressed. I think I need to look at them again in a week and see what I think. Perhaps I am just still impressed with the 2018 Jr.

6. lcw

lcw Active Member

None of the links works anymore...

7. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

ooops.I guess we weren't supposed to see it yet?oh well :cheers:

8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Apparently not ... I guess time will tell if all the stuff we were able to look at makes final 2019 models put on sale.

arcticsg likes this.
  9. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

We will see... I kinda had my doubts on those lists anyways. I just can't see Gibson going with a maple neck on the SG Standard. But I wouldn't mind that Blueberry Burst HP paint job, :smile:

10. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Gibson has done strange things in the past. I was surprised to see the maple too, we'll see how accurate those links were once Gibson officially releases the 2019 models. Who knows.

Personally, I don't think there needs to be a new or changed lineup each year. There's been a lot speculation if Gibson was trying to become the Apple of guitars (insert any major computer manufacturer here). They start with a base model computer that allows for some option or part customization.

Simplification and standardization with a process for some customization could go along way for Gibson.

arcticsg, lawrev and cerebral gasket like this.
  11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Seems Gibson 'leaked' the whole 2019 range on it's website this weekend. Everything except the prices. My guess is all of this stuff is being deliberately leaked, to calm people's fears about Gibson's future.

[​IMG]

Sounds like the SG models mentioned in this thread were all there.

12. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time spending 4-$6,000 on a nice shape vintage, it’s a lot of money for a well loved guitar. Do t get me wrong, I would love on. But when it comes to writing the Cheque there are so many nice guitars in perfect shape, with good warranty.

That being said, buying new can be costly these days too. I have three SG’s, a 2002 61 RI, 2007 custom and 2009 angus young custom shop. 2 of which were bought new.

It seems with the vintage prices today and the new prices today, I would seek a 1990-2017 used market. Play before you buy and find a deal. So many good guitars to be had, without the high end cost.

I think part of Gibson’s struggle, and this extends to car company’s and many others, is why buy the high cost brand new when there is so much good stock available at a fraction of the cost. The market is somewhat saturated. Most company put themselves in this position, the make more sell more approach. Short term increases for long term struggles.

Personally unless I fell in love with a color, why would I buy a 2019 model? Wait for the 2018’s to go on blow out, or buy what ever year you want

cerebral gasket and arcticsg like this.
  13. Tinman82

Tinman82 New Member

Have a few Gibson’s but not an SG yet (despite being a massive Angus fan). Looking to replace my Flying V. Couldn’t believe how easily the fingerboard separated and neck cracked when it fell off a chair. I have to say I like the sound of these new maple necks. They should be far stronger and less to worry about, even with the Gibson neck angle. Also prefer a rounded profile. I can’t imagine the maple will noticeably change tone, at least not in a way that can’t easily be dialled out.

14. 67King

67King Member

There have been many maple neck Gibsons over the years, my Les Paul has one. Funny, though, Paul Reed Smith gave some speech somewhere where he stated that the set versus bolt on had little impact on tone, and that the neck material made all the difference - the maple neck was what gives Fenders the brighter, thinner tone. I personally think he is way off, the physics of energy transfer should make that joint a HUGE factor. So I'm not sure how much credence to put into his assertion (and many of his own marketing materials contradict his statement). Anecdotally, my Les Paul has incredibly thick tone, so I'm inclined to agree with you on the sound.

15. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I always thought it was Fender's single coil pups that brought out the brighter sound. :rolleyes:

16. juliang

juliang New Member

17. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hmmm I can't remember exactly but did they maybe change their minds on color for the SG HP 2019.

The black one looks pretty sweet!

Last two years in a row the HP models had 57 pickups now this year the SG HP and LP HP have probuckers.

18. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Sounds like the issue was that you put the guitar on a chair, not that the guitar was flimsy... my headstocks have never broken of their own volition without being mishandled...

It's mostly the longer scale length which results in higher string tension. After that, the bridge design, and then the pickups. Tonewood is a myth. Wood only affects sustain, not tone.

Retrop and flognoth like this.
  19. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Just make them all neck through then.

20. No_Class

No_Class Member