Gibson vs Epiphone: The AC/DC sound

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by angus, Nov 18, 2006.

1. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=rootbeersoup link=topic=11110.msg144975#msg144975 date=1163984214]
    Well, you sure did a bad job of saying it. And it's not even about sound or anything, it's about if the bolt-on necks don't unscrew themselves...
    [/quote]
    Nope! Never have!

2. TNT

TNT Active Member

You can tell Angus is playing on anything he does however I can tell a difference in his tone from the early days and when he started playing Custom Shop guitars. You can hear his guitar when the note decays, not at full bore.

Right off the bat I'm thinking of the song You Shook Me All Night Long and the tone on the very first power chord as the chord decays you can hear that ring. His new guitars aren't as trebley but they sound fuller.

I would like to have heard Angus playin that ES-345 when in concert with the Rolling Stones. 8)

3. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=11110.msg144979#msg144979 date=1163985244]

I would like to have heard Angus playin that ES-345 when in concert with the Rolling Stones. 8)

[/quote]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

5. angus

angus Active Member

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

A) It wasn't his show.
    B) He's 51.
    C) It's a slow blues.
    D) He's displayed enough energy in 30 some years for many bands to never catch up. :)

7. angus

angus Active Member

It's still a shame how he and Malcom look.

:cry: :cry:

8. patsocaster

patsocaster Member

I think the idea that the Epiphone brand is somehow inferior to the Gibson brand is kinda silly. Admitedly, I have a Gibson, and have only played around with a few Epiphones in guitar stores, but I mean, they're essentially the same. They're made by the same company. They're made to the same specifications. They use the same woods, and the same hardware. Epis are cheaper because Chinese (or Korean) labor is cheaper than American labor. Plain and simple.

I agree about the source of the AC/DC sound 'though: it's in Angus and Malcolm Young's hands and heads. They'd sound like AC/DC playing Gretsch Silverjets....

9. Weick_51

Weick_51 Member

[quote author=patsocaster link=topic=11110.msg144991#msg144991 date=1163987079]
    I think the idea that the Epiphone brand is somehow inferior to the Gibson brand is kinda silly. Admitedly, I have a Gibson, and have only played around with a few Epiphones in guitar stores, but I mean, they're essentially the same. They're made by the same company. They're made to the same specifications. They use the same woods, and the same hardware. Epis are cheaper because Chinese (or Korean) labor is cheaper than American labor. Plain and simple.

I agree about the source of the AC/DC sound 'though: it's in Angus and Malcolm Young's hands and heads. They'd sound like AC/DC playing Gretsch Silverjets....
    [/quote]

Epiphone and Gibson don't use the same wood. They also don't use the same hardware. Epiphone's are cheaper because they use cheaper materials AND cheaper labor.

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

[quote author=angus link=topic=11110.msg144990#msg144990 date=1163986709]
    It's still a shame how he and Malcom look.
    :cry: :cry:
    [/quote]
    That's a good life lesson about what hard drinkin',hard smokin', and just what hard livin' will do for you. I felt kinda the way you do Angus when I saw Kiss a few years back. They were slow and out of shape and other than Ace, were more about show than musical ability. I was very disappointed.

11. patsocaster

patsocaster Member

[quote author=Weick_51 link=topic=11110.msg144993#msg144993 date=1163987343]

Epiphone and Gibson don't use the same wood. They also don't use the same hardware. Epiphone's are cheaper because they use cheaper materials AND cheaper labor.
    [/quote]

Bull5hit. The G-400 and the SG are both mahogany bodied, have glued in mahogany necks, use plated brass tailpieces and tune-o-matic bridges, etc. They're the same. Properly set up, they'd play and sound the same too.

12. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=patsocaster link=topic=11110.msg144999#msg144999 date=1163988237]
    Bull5hit. The G-400 and the SG are both mahogany bodied, have glued in mahogany necks, use plated brass tailpieces and tune-o-matic bridges, etc. They're the same. Properly set up, they'd play and sound the same too.
    [/quote]
    THANK YOU!

Someone at Allen Music told a friend of mine (Jake Wissinger, Rythm Guitar: H/V) that most Epiphones sound alittle better than some Gibsons.

13. Weick_51

Weick_51 Member

[quote author=patsocaster link=topic=11110.msg144999#msg144999 date=1163988237]
    [/quote]

"Quality" Gibson guitars (the SG Standard or 61RI) USUALLY have 1 or 2 pieces of body wood. Epi's will usually use 3 or 4. Gibson's also have much higher quality pots and pickup's resulting in a better sound. But sound is all about preference so I guess it's feasable to get a "good" sound from an Epi.

14. TNT

TNT Active Member

There has been some threads in the past that showed that Epi G400 and below(not Elitist G400) use mahogany veneer over some other type of wood seen in the pickup rout. The tuners are not the same quality and neither are the electronics and of course Epis use poly finishes. Things may have changed but I'm sure so would their prices.Weick beat me to this post.

For someone to say a blanket statement that most Epis sound better than Gibson could only come from a salesman.

15. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=11110.msg145003#msg145003 date=1163989059]
    For someone to say a blanket statement that most Epis sound better than Gibson could only come from a salesman.
    [/quote]
    No, this dude gave him lessons.

16. Weick_51

Weick_51 Member

[quote author=angus link=topic=11110.msg145005#msg145005 date=1163989343]
    No, this dude gave him lessons.
    [/quote]

Maybe he just had a bad encounter with Gibson's and is pretty bitter about it. Maybe he had to play that SG with the mirror on it. ;D

17. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=Weick_51 link=topic=11110.msg145009#msg145009 date=1163990156]
    Maybe he just had a bad encounter with Gibson's and is pretty bitter about it. Maybe he had to play that SG with the mirror on it. ;D
    [/quote]
    lol

18. TNT

TNT Active Member

Think about it. The guy at the music store would say something like that to someone Angus' age. but if I was there the subject would never come up. They're gonna try to sell you what you gravitate toward. That's a good way to see what you can afford. I'm sure the music teacher gets a commission just like anyone else selling for them.

I heard a story of a guy that went down to the Ford dealership to test drive and buy a new Mustang. The salesman asked the guy if he would be more interested in a V6 or V8. The guy replied that he wasn't sure. The salesman said if he wasn't sure then he should test drive the V6 first. Do you see the point? If he would test drive the V8 then the V6 then he might feel that the V6 was inferior then if he couldn't afford the V8 then he might not buy a car at all.

19. timmywear

timmywear Member

20. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=timmywear link=topic=11110.msg145021#msg145021 date=1163991819]
    lol
    he's so little compared to all the other musicians
    [/quote]
    lol
    yeah, Angus is a short little fellar!