Gibson vs Epiphone: The AC/DC sound

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by angus, Nov 18, 2006.

1. TNT

TNT Active Member

;D Reminds me of this pic:
    [img width=309 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/straycat68/malcolm_young_07.jpg[/img]

2. Metalmom

Metalmom Member

The Epiphone Iommi model has the same Gibson pups as the Gibson Iommi model.

3. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=Metalmom link=topic=11110.msg145093#msg145093 date=1164024580]
    The Epiphone Iommi model has the same Gibson pups as the Gibson Iommi model.
    [/quote]
    Prolly why it's $600

4. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

[quote author=angus link=topic=11110.msg145176#msg145176 date=1164055949]
    Prolly why it's $600
    [/quote]

With a list price of $200.00 per pickup, that means the rest of the guitar is worth only $200.00.

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

Brucewayne131 swears by his Epi Iommi. :)

6. Metalmom

Metalmom Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=11110.msg145246#msg145246 date=1164073748]
    Brucewayne131 swears by his Epi Iommi. :)
    [/quote]

I swear by mine too. Very good guitar all around.

7. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

first the video of the second guy sounded alot more like AC/DC to my ears but that doesnt mean anything. second you have no idea what kind of amp the two guys are playing through(althoug the first guy was probably using solid state and I have no idea about the second dude.). third its difficult to tell becasue they both have different playing styles which hinderes the sound. Two guys playing throgh the same guitar,same amp, ect. can sound different even just becasue of the way that they play. and lastly, those videos were taken with a crappy PC microphone. Those just in themselves change the sound you hear. SO BASICALLY what im trying to say is; untill one has heard the same guy playing through both guitars but through the same rest of the rig and LIVE, Ones guess is pretty hampered and in this scenario, pretty useless.
    second, theres some wacky info here
    first; the wood used in epiphone SGs is not the same as in a gibson SG. yes both are made from mahogany. But the mahoganys come from very different parts of the world which is what makes them different. think about it; if both were made out of the same wood than why does the gibson guitar weigh more than the epi. The wood On the gibsons is gathered in Honduras. In an epi, it comes from huge lots in korea. They use different hardware and it cost less to pay the laborers in korea. gibson pickups are more costly becasue of higher quality. Gibsons also use better Pots, and use different finishes.
    lastly, I dont think that EPis are bad. there quite good guitars. they are better value than gibsons in my opinion. But Id rather have my gibson
    Oh and also TNT is right about that guy at the music store. when youre a kid they feed you all sorts of crap. I was told that in all amps, the chasssis should buzz whenever youre using youre neck pickup. Then I played the trynor and it diddnt and sounded great.(love that amp.) And they are on commission. Like when i got the SG the guy kept trying to sell me on the EPI SG becasue he knew that there was another guy who had said that He would by my SG if i didnt buy it.

8. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Member

I have 2 Gibson sg's .A friend of mine has an epiphone sg .He said it sounded so muddy so he put an iommi pickup in the bridge and a burstbucker at the neck and he brought it over to my place one day. Using same amp ,same volume,kept switching guitars from his modified epeiphone to my gibsons,and hands down the gibson blew his modified epephone away.He's trying to seel it now,but no bites on that.He wishes he had bought the gibson.Huge difference.

9. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=11110.msg145396#msg145396 date=1164155549]
    first the video of the second guy sounded alot more like AC/DC to my ears but that doesnt mean anything. second you have no idea what kind of amp the two guys are playing through(althoug the first guy was probably using solid state and I have no idea about the second dude.). third its difficult to tell becasue they both have different playing styles which hinderes the sound. Two guys playing throgh the same guitar,same amp, ect. can sound different even just becasue of the way that they play. and lastly, those videos were taken with a crappy PC microphone. Those just in themselves change the sound you hear. SO BASICALLY what im trying to say is; untill one has heard the same guy playing through both guitars but through the same rest of the rig and LIVE, Ones guess is pretty hampered and in this scenario, pretty useless.
    second, theres some wacky info here
    first; the wood used in epiphone SGs is not the same as in a gibson SG. yes both are made from mahogany. But the mahoganys come from very different parts of the world which is what makes them different. think about it; if both were made out of the same wood than why does the gibson guitar weigh more than the epi. The wood On the gibsons is gathered in Honduras. In an epi, it comes from huge lots in korea. They use different hardware and it cost less to pay the laborers in korea. gibson pickups are more costly becasue of higher quality. Gibsons also use better Pots, and use different finishes.
    lastly, I dont think that EPis are bad. there quite good guitars. they are better value than gibsons in my opinion. But Id rather have my gibson
    Oh and also TNT is right about that guy at the music store. when youre a kid they feed you all sorts of crap. I was told that in all amps, the chasssis should buzz whenever youre using youre neck pickup. Then I played the trynor and it diddnt and sounded great.(love that amp.) And they are on commission. Like when i got the SG the guy kept trying to sell me on the EPI SG becasue he knew that there was another guy who had said that He would by my SG if i didnt buy it.
    [/quote]
    You have to also remember that Angus took off the Pickup covers on most of his SGs to give it a more bitey and trebley sound.

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

guitar_randy: Changing to a burstbucker in an already muddy SG was a mistake from the reviews for the BB pups I've seen. Maybe he should play around with pot ratings and/or different size caps. Maybe an RS guitarworks kit would fix it all in one swoop.

Or just tweak the amp next time. ;)

11. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

I think you may have missed my point...

12. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

"why does the gibson guitar weigh more than the epi"

Actually the gibson weighs less than the Epiphone. Well the faded gibson weighs less than all the epiphones, But the standard i think weighs more, and the 61 reissue also weighs less, but the gibson's are sanded thinner than the Epiphone.

13. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

My Epi weighs a lot more than my Gibson, and its also thicker.

14. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

15. timmywear

timmywear Member

i like the thinner crunchier sound of the SG

16. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

yea me too.

17. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=11110.msg146660#msg146660 date=1164678018]
    My Epi weighs a lot more than my Gibson, and its also thicker.
    [/quote]

It easier to get the Pizza's out of the oven that way. ;D

18. cog

cog Member

Heh... why is every other topic in the epiphone forum written by Angus trying to convince himself and others that Epi's are just as good, if not better that, the Gibsons..? :)

They aren't.. I've played Gibson SG's for the last 14 years, and the differences are obvious when you pick up an Epiphone. I know that a lot of people have played gibson SG's longer than I have, and I'm sure they could back me up, too. Now, I'm not saying Epi's are garbage, or even bad guitars, but they're definitely not the same caliber.. I've been picking up various Epi's to try over the years to get a cheaper backup, but they're not the same.

The shape and sizes are different, the knob placement is different, the neck is different, and the pickups are different.. The poly finished neck is a step down, in my opinion. The fact that the knobs are almost placed randomly from epi-to-epi speaks a little about the build quality. The wiring and electronics are (including pickups) not up to par comparatively. Hardware like the switch and etc don't seem as high-impact as the gibson alternatives. But really, the build quality on the whole isn't the same in regards to materials, hardware, or workmanship.

They don't feel or play the same, really, when you get down to it. I mentioned about test-driving them as backups -- I can pick up any other current-series (meaning, not including model years that have drastic changes compared to what you see today) Gibson SG standard and play without any learning-curve; in terms of feel, it feels essentially like I'm playing my own #1 SG. That's what I personally look for in a backup. I don't get that with an Epi, and if I did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat - even if it meant spending my rent money. The Elite's/Elitists were very close, but not at a regular epiphone price.

Basically, they don't feel the same, don't play the same, don't sound the same, and come stock with lower quality components.

One thing I do like about epi's is that more of their SG's come stock with Grover tuners, which I'm partial to.

But really, like I mentioned above about a backup guitar with a a minimum of 'learning curve'...I can't see Angus or Iommi suddenly throwing an Epi into their rig.. and I mean, HONESTLY putting one in and using it. They don't feel the same - the majority of things that are the same between the Epi and Gibson SG's are looks-related. If they play a copy, it's generally custom and hand-built to order by a luthier as a one-off. Though, you'll notice Angus' lightning-bolt copy grew a Gibson headstock over the years. :)

And also, this idea that 'Epiphones are MADE by Gibson" is not correct. Epiphones are made by FujiGen/etc. (higher-range) Sammick/etc. (mid range) or whatever far-east lowest bidder (lower end) won the contract. They aren't made from the same plans/measurements/etc, which is obvious by just looking at shape/curves/placements. (not counting certain Japan-only models in that statement). Epiphone is OWNED by gibson, but they're made by whoever won the contract. However, If you ever see Iommi play that pictured Epi in a real concert and not at, say, an industry junket, I bet I could point out ONE Epiphone that WAS made by Gibson. ;)

Really, when it comes down to it, Epi marketing hype and taglines aside, G400's and such are budget-line knockoffs of an SG. The reason they sell better than other asian copies is that people associate 'Epiphone' with 'Gibson', though the only way they're closer to Gibson than, say, Tokai or Edwards is that Gibson gets money from Epiphone. However, all that said, if I did find an Epi that has the feel I'm used to, I'd be right back here singing its praises. Thing is, I don't think I will unless its cost approached a Gibson's.

It's like saying that those things they call 'chocolatey-chips' or 'chocolate-flavored chips' are as good or better than real chocolate chips. I mean, I really don't think Epiphones are bad.. they're just a different guitar, and a whole different ballgame.

19. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

exactly. i have been trying to say this for a month. good one bro

20. cog

cog Member

Heh... I just had to say something after seeing all these 'it's made by Gibson', 'it's just as good as a gibson', 'this one guy says they're better than Gibsons' posts..

I kinda like how around here, a G310 Epi SG special is generally agreed upon to be a real low-end junky guitar but then if you move up to just the next model it all of a sudden leapfrogs the Gibson SG and becomes this super-good guitar. And yeah, the G400's definitely aren't junk, but don't forget that they're only one model above the G310, and made by the same company.