Gibsons Mini Tune seems really dumb to me.....is it as much trouble or hassle as im thinking it is??

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tom Schuster, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The only one claiming he can change a string and get all six intune in under 20 seconds can't offer sh*t for proof. Watch the video and my time of about 40 seconds a string is bang on. Now, I want to see a video where cybermgk changes a string and gets all six in tune in under 20 seconds or my bullsh*t call stands.
    ;>)/

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I can't even get the package open and find my damn key turning tool thingy in 20 seconds.......**** that takes at least 2 minutes, one to find it and one to cuss who the HELL ever keeps moving my **** around.....if I find that guy I am gonna kick his arse!

3. Biddlin

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Oh that's lovely......just friggin lovely

5. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

It would actually take me 20 seconds to bend down to my box and find my strings. After that it's easy

Plus I have to add some time for dicking around with top-wrapping and feeding the string backwards

6. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

Witchery!

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

8. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Gett'em while you're here...it doesn't last long! :ohno: ;)

9. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

That and the grindy cheesy sounds it makes when it's operating that make me think it's minutes from catastrophic failure.

Once it works with high quality 18:1 grovers etc and doesn't sound like a winch trying to pull a jeep out of the mud I'll consider buying a guitar with robo tuners.

And the whole "got to call a halt to tune" thing went away a few decades ago with good tuning pedals. My korg is bright and clear and VERY accurate (+/- .1 cent). It never leaves my pedal board.

Hammer likes this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

PitchBlack? I have one in every room that has an amp. I love that little sucker. :thumb:

SJR and ScottMarlowe like this.
  11. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

You did notice that twice in that video you get the "Let's speed this up" and suddenly we're running in 4x speed etc? Happened from from D string on for stringing and for tuning. It wasn't 4:16 without editing.

I only got the one, but it's the big old + version that's REAL easy to see (good for old eyes)

JCarno and Hammer like this.
  12. guitarded

guitarded Member

My opinion is it would have been better to include as an option, sort of a permanently installed Snark-like tuner on the back of the headstock, than tuner pegs with stepper motors.

eS.G. likes this.
  13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Can I get a side of onion rings with my optional equipment?

14. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Absolutely! However they come with the "Henry J" Ring modulator which is absolutely free with additional handling and shipping fees.
    Call now and we'll double your order FREE with only four times the additional handling and shipping fees.

ACT NOW !!!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  15. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

He couldn't have. Could he? Nahhhh...... Honest mistake on his part. Too much zeal?
    I think my suspicions are being proved that he has........ um, what's it called?
    Ahh...... never mind. I'm starting to feel bad for the guy.

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  16. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

Went to guitar center and played on a $1,000+ sg with it, I think that was the first time I ever really wanted to put a Gibson down. I mean I did give it a good 30 minutes of play time and fiddling. But everytime I tried to let it tune it just sounded off, kept saying it was in tune I even asked a random stranger if he thought the tuning was slightly off and he confirmed my analyses on it when I played him a clean G chord. Then tuner kept flashing green on it indicating that it was in tune after making the corrections on the strings it missed, but it still sounded off. Perhaps it was a bum min etuner. But for that price... That's unacceptable to me.

If I was actually in the market though I would had probably asked if they had a fully charged battery to really give it a fair shot. I'd be willing to understand if the battery was on the verge of dying but... The lights on it was clear as day, the button controls where very responsive, no indication that the battery was dying.... I ended up just putting it up and played on something else for a little bit.

17. Biddlin

I don't really give a sh*t anymore. I've noted that I do a complete change in 10 minutes. A single string could be changed and all six back in tune in 40 secs. cybermgk says he can do manually it in under 20 sec. I want to see it. He apparently can't, so we haven't. Those who want to imply any motives to my posts, beyond factuality are mistaken. I will now retire from the field, to let the intelligentsia find other fodder.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I bought a set of MinE-Tunes for my 04 SG Standard. Worked great, no problems installing or getting them to work. I use a few different tunings and it is great for that. It has nothing to do with being able to tune a guitar (I used to do it in the 70's without the aid of an electronic tuner of any kind). The best part is, buying a set used was fairly cost effective plus I have the original tuners for the guitar. So then when I sold my SG Standard, I put the original tuners back on....bought an SG Special....and put the MinE-Tunes on that one which also works great and I use it every day. As far as tweaking the tuning manually, I don't find it's really a big deal at all unless you're crazy out of tune. They work as advertised, and they piss a lot of people off which is all a plus to me ;-) Most people use electronic tuners themselves....which are also "aids".

Biddlin likes this.
  19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

" intelligentsia find other fodder."

I hear a good antibiotic shot will cure that right up Biddlin ;)

20. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Great. On top of everything else, now these things can give you AIDS too? Thanks Gibson! :mad:

:D